LeBrun: Teams contacting Kyle Connor

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Columbus doesn't have the necessary draft picks for an offer sheet. Gotta have space and picks, shrinks the list down a lot.

Offer Sheet Calculator - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
Ah, but the SportsNet article makes it clear Connor's looking for term. If we offer him something in the 7-year range, the compensation level kicks back up to the level where we do have the picks for it.

(Or we could always trade for our picks back.)

Seriously, tho, like I said in the other thread. A scoring left wing from the Midwest? We're almost certainly one of those teams.

Reactions: heilongjetsfan

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
Columbus doesn't have the necessary draft picks for an offer sheet. Gotta have space and picks, shrinks the list down a lot.

Offer Sheet Calculator - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

That sure does. Columbus and NJ would both have to do 4 1sts to offersheet. Connor isn't worth that.

1st + 2nd + 3rd round picks I would hope the Jets would match but the Islanders, Senators, Red Wings and Ducks could do that.

For the Islanders I'd rather trade him for Pulock or Dobson than take the picks. For the Sens, I might just take the picks because you'd be getting a top 5 pick in a really deep draft and then the 1st pick of the second round as well. However Connor would have to sign to go to Ottawa and I don't think Melnyk will spend the money.

If Anaheim trades for Faulk they don't have space anymore.

Red Wings could do it once they put Zetterberg and Franzen on LTIR. Connor's a Michigan boy and they sat on their hands and didn't get Trouba. Maybe they don't want to miss again on a home town kid?

If there really are 3 teams I'd assume Islanders, Red Wings and then I'm not sure who else would make sense.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
other topic got locked but the only real canadiates would be columbus and anaheim. and colorado maybe.

Colorado makes the most sense, they have cap space and they can give up a 1st rounder because they just got two(a high one as well). They also don't major signing coming(Mikko Rantanen this year, Landeskog in 2 two years and MacKinnon in 4 years by that time the cap would have gone up.)

mondo13

Sep 9, 2019
toronto
Kings, Islanders, Flames?

kings have 6.7 million in cap space, so a substainial offer sheet would put them over and require some movements (although it may end up moving some guys to the minors)

islanders have barzal to sign next season and all their top earning players are wingers.

flames have 2 rfas which will put them in the cap range. they wouldn't be able to do it.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
That sure does. Columbus and NJ would both have to do 4 1sts to offersheet. Connor isn't worth that.

1st + 2nd + 3rd round picks I would hope the Jets would match but the Islanders, Senators, Red Wings and Ducks could do that.

For the Islanders I'd rather trade him for Pulock or Dobson than take the picks. For the Sens, I might just take the picks because you'd be getting a top 5 pick in a really deep draft and then the 1st pick of the second round as well. However Connor would have to sign to go to Ottawa and I don't think Melnyk will spend the money.

Red Wings could do it once they put Zetterberg and Franzen on LTIR. Connor's a Michigan boy and they sat on their hands and didn't get Trouba. Maybe they don't want to miss again on a home town kid?

If there really are 3 teams I'd assume Islanders, Red Wings and then I'm not sure who else would make sense.

The Red wings are probably going to be one of the lower seeds and will get a high pick. Is connor worth a high pick? I don't think so, the Red Wings may have a chance at Lafreniere.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
I'm thinking about what Kessel to Toronto was, 2 1sts and 2nd. But I think Columbus is more likely if you ask me.
The Kessel return was only good (or bad, depending on the perspective) because the Leafs sucked. If those picks were both a few spots lower, it easily could've been a steal for them. It's not hard to make a list of consecutive first round picks historically by any one team that would be a horrendous return for Connor.

There's a lot of risk with taking future draft picks, plus the payoff is usually years away and the Jets are competing now. They're better off targeting specific prospects who are close if they consider a trade.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Maybe this have been discussed but what if Team A offersheets Connor and Team B offersheets Laine. They both accept, Winnipeg doesn`t have room for both and no time to fix cap space if it is close to season or already in season.

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
Maybe this have been discussed but what if Team A offersheets Connor and Team B offersheets Laine. They both accept, Winnipeg doesn`t have room for both and no time to fix cap space if it is close to season or already in season.

Teams get a full week to match an OS or not. That's enough time to make a few moves, imo.

Reactions: Kalv

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI

I think he'd be a great fit alongside Larkin and Mantha and that would let Bertuzzi do the dirty work on the 2nd line to free up Athanasiou. It would probably take north of $8.4 mil for the Jets to let him go though, yeah? Can't see the Wings giving up 2 firsts during a rebuild even if Connor could be worth it.

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
Ah, but the SportsNet article makes it clear Connor's looking for term. If we offer him something in the 7-year range, the compensation level kicks back up to the level where we do have the picks for it.

(Or we could always trade for our picks back.)

Seriously, tho, like I said in the other thread. A scoring left wing from the Midwest? We're almost certainly one of those teams.

Wouldn't put it past Jarmo to make a wild move like that.

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
Is it? Would the Jets have any issues matching a 8.4M/ 5 years contract?

It all depends on what Laine gets. The 2 negotiations are woven together as we have $14.5M to sign both players and go with a 23 man roster. We expect we can go long term with one and will have to bridge the other but we need to sign the bridge first so we're not susceptible to an offer sheet. If we matched $8.4 on Connor we'd have $6.1 to bridge Laine ($7.1 if we carried a 22 man roster like we did lots of last year), which should be enough but if a second offersheet came in for Laine this time we'd be scrambling to unload Perreault or Kulikov but would still probably match. It would just likely cost us a 1st to move out one of those contracts at this point.

Once one guy signs, or if it gets into the season where we can't go over the cap you'd potentially have success. You'd need to seriously overpay on an offersheet for us not to match (4 1sts) or give us equivalent/slightly more in a trade so that you can sign them to a market appropriate deal.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Wouldn't put it past Jarmo to make a wild move like that.
Indeed.

Alternatively, recall that we picked up Brandon Saad by taking advantage of offer sheet pressures to get Bowman to pull off a trade. Kekalainen could very well be reaching out to Connor in order to create that situation, and then calling up Chevy and offering some of our blueline depth.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
It all depends on what Laine gets. The 2 negotiations are woven together as we have $14.5M to sign both players and go with a 23 man roster. We expect we can go long term with one and will have to bridge the other but we need to sign the bridge first so we're not susceptible to an offer sheet. If we matched $8.4 on Connor we'd have $6.1 to bridge Laine ($7.1 if we carried a 22 man roster like we did lots of last year), which should be enough but if a second offersheet came in for Laine this time we'd be scrambling to unload Perreault or Kulikov but would still probably match. It would just likely cost us a 1st to move out one of those contracts at this point.

Once one guy signs, or if it gets into the season where we can't go over the cap you'd potentially have success. You'd need to seriously overpay on an offersheet for us not to match (4 1sts) or give us equivalent/slightly more in a trade so that you can sign them to a market appropriate deal.

That make sense. Do you know how long Winnipeg can drag these negotiation into the season without shooting themselves in the foot and being able to afford them in year 1 of their next deal?

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
Indeed.

Alternatively, recall that we picked up Brandon Saad by taking advantage of offer sheet pressures to get Bowman to pull off a trade. Kekalainen could very well be reaching out to Connor in order to create that situation, and then calling up Chevy and offering some of our blueline depth.

A trade does seem more likely to me, I'd think the Jets would want roster players back so they can keep competing.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Is it? Would the Jets have any issues matching a 8.4M/ 5 years contract?
What team would offer that contract? Even Sebastian Aho, who is a better player and a C and was offersheeted when more teams had capspace compared to now barely got that.

Reactions: SLAYER

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
What team would offer that contract? Even Sebastian Aho, who is a better player and a C and was offersheeted when more teams had capspace compared to now barely got that.
And pretty much everyone laughed at that offer sheet because it was considered underpayment.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
And pretty much everyone laughed at that offer sheet because it was considered underpayment.

The point is that that was the best offer sheet made this offseason and at a time when a lot more teams had capspace than they do now. Considering that and considering the fact that RFAs who are higher calibre than Connor are still unsigned, an 8.4x5 offersheet for him is unrealistic.

Reactions: Vachon23 and SLAYER

nzoilerfan

May 18, 2011
If the teams are - Connor can just use the offer sheet as a negotiation - sign a offer which is what he really wants from WPG - they'll have to match realistically and he'll have what he wanted from them all along.

It's what Aho did - he openly said it was what he wanted from CAR - he was expecting it to be matched.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
The point is that that was the best offer sheet made this offseason and at a time when a lot more teams had capspace than they do now. Considering that and considering the fact that RFAs who are higher calibre than Connor are still unsigned, an 8.4x5 offersheet for him is unrealistic.

It only takes one team with space, though, Columbus still has $10.8M left.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad