LeBrun: Teams contacting Kyle Connor

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
I'm thinking about what Kessel to Toronto was, 2 1sts and 2nd. But I think Columbus is more likely if you ask me.

That could be an option if a team wanted a long term deal done and Connor agreed to a smaller AAV. Make a trade & sign; 2x first, a second and a third for Connor and sign 7-7.5M on a 7-8 years deal (that is a 4x first round pick compensation but it doesn’t matter because a deal was made to acquire the player rights before he signed the offer sheet).

Team A & player gets their long term deal at a reasonable cap hit and Winnipeg gets the 8.5 - 10.5m compensation.

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
I'd like to see Islanders and Jets avoid the OS route, and come up with a trade. Wahlstrom+1st+ for Connor. Or maybe one our defencemen. Connor would be amazing on the 2nd line with Barzal.

I'd like to see the Jets sign Kyle Connor, and pass on that trade.

Jets with the Trouba situation(s) disagrees.

Jets with the Morrissey situation disagrees. Just because a player signs a bridge deal doesn't mean that they don't want to be here. Trouba is the outlier, not the norm.

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
That could be an option if a team wanted a long term deal done and Connor agreed to a smaller AAV. Make a trade & sign; 2x first, a second and a third for Connor and sign 7-7.5M on a 7-8 years deal (that is a 4x first round pick compensation but it doesn’t matter because a deal was made to acquire the player rights before he signed the offer sheet).

The Jets aren't looking to move Connor, why would they do another team such a big favor? If they want Connor signed to that contract, they can make an O/S and give the Jets 4 1st round picks.

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
The Jets aren't looking to move Connor, why would they do another team such a big favor? If they want Connor signed to that contract, they can make an O/S and give the Jets 4 1st round picks.

Correct! Also, the 7-8 year deal at $7-$7.5M is the exact offer that the Jets are trying to sign him for, so there's that too.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Seems a tad too late now doesn't it?

Not gonna happen anymore. Start of offseason I woulda believed it, but not now

mondo13

Sep 9, 2019
toronto
assuming that it's going to be for a cap hit of 8 million, these are the teams that could afford it without moving any players: Anaheim, Columbus, Tampa, Ottawa, Philadelphia, Colorado.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
How many teams even have the cap space to throw an offer-sheet that wouldn't get matched at Connor? You're probably looking at a contract similar to what Nylander got, and I don't know of many teams who can afford that and also don't have their own RFAs to sign.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Hmmm... scoring left wing, Midwest origins, played for a B1G school... yeah, I think it's safe to presume one of those teams is Columbus.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I honestly don't know how. 16 teams have 5 mil in space or less.

26 have 9 mil or less.

A big chunk are trying to sign their own guys still.

Obviously LTIR and roster moves will open up a bit of space for everyone but I'd have to imagine the Jets match anything up to 8 or so. What's the point, unless you can get the player?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Chevaldayoff is probably hoping someone does offer sheet Connor so he can just match it. Saves him the trouble of having to be the one negotiating. :laugh:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
assuming that it's going to be for a cap hit of 8 million, these are the teams that could afford it without moving any players: Anaheim, Columbus, Tampa, Ottawa, Philadelphia, Colorado.

Ottawa wouldn't do that with their picks being that high, Philly has Provorov and Konecny to deal with, Tampa Bay has Point to deal with and Colorado has Rantanen to deal with. That only leaves Columbus and Anaheim, and I'm tempted to include both of those teams in the same category as Ottawa.

mondo13

Sep 9, 2019
toronto
How many teams even have the cap space to throw an offer-sheet that wouldn't get matched at Connor? You're probably looking at a contract similar to what Nylander got, and I don't know of many teams who can afford that and also don't have their own RFAs to sign.

the list i posted above has 6 teams, 2 have rfas and 1 is a financial gravesite. so it would be columbus, anaheim or colorado.

Reactions: viper0220

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Seems a tad too late now doesn't it?

Not gonna happen anymore. Start of offseason I woulda believed it, but not now

Now is actually a better time to make an offer sheet because soon enough, teams won't have that 10% cushion they do in the off-season. Teams will now have to be cap compliant and roster compliant by opening night.

Reactions: viper0220

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Hmmm... scoring left wing, Midwest origins, played for a B1G school... yeah, I think it's safe to presume one of those teams is Columbus.

I think it would be have to be over 10.5 million for it to be Columbus. They don't have their own 2nd or 3rd, so that takes them out of basically every bracket save the top one.

mondo13

Sep 9, 2019
toronto
Ottawa wouldn't do that with their picks being that high, Philly has Provorov and Konecny to deal with, Tampa Bay has Point to deal with and Colorado has Rantanen to deal with. That only leaves Columbus and Anaheim, and I'm tempted to include both of those teams in the same category as Ottawa.
would probably be neither tbh. both have a bunch of rfas coming up next year.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
the list i posted above has 6 teams, 2 have rfas and 1 is a financial gravesite. so it would be columbus, anaheim or colorado.

I don't know that Colorado can afford Connor, but I agree with Columbus and Anaheim. Anaheim moving Kase for Faulk and then offer-sheeting Connor may make some sense.

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
Is it? Would the Jets have any issues matching a 8.4M/ 5 years contract?

Maybe, but who knows? Depends on how they value Connor / the compensation they would receive, I suppose.

The real question is, are any teams willing to offer that contract to Connor?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00