LeBrun: Teams contacting Kyle Connor

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
And Little.... like seriously, please Little....please!!!!!
I’m not a huge fan of his, in case it wasn’t obvious....

Little is gone to Seattle, don't worry and for Seattle he'll be a decent pickup.

Reactions: BatVader

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Little is gone to Seattle, don't worry and for Seattle he'll be a decent pickup.
It’s not that he’s lousy or anything like that... I just think Maurice relays on him to much at the expense of others and it’s a block on development.
Copp and Roslovic should have had more opportunities to show their stuff at the 2C position than they have.
Just my 2cents.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
It’s not that he’s lousy or anything like that... I just think Maurice relays on him to much at the expense of others and it’s a block on development.
Copp and Roslovic should have had more opportunities to show their stuff at the 2C position than they have.
Just my 2cents.

Don't disagree, but I suspect PMO realizes his job is on the line this year......if the Jets play badly and/or more team discord I expect the coach will be gone. Keep in mind he signed his contract two years ago with an undisclosed term......good chance it was three years......meaning this in his contract year so he needs to impress and it's easy to fire him b/c Jets aren't the hook for much salary.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Don't disagree, but I suspect PMO realizes his job is on the line this year......if the Jets play badly and/or more team discord I expect the coach will be gone. Keep in mind he signed his contract two years ago with an undisclosed term......good chance it was three years......meaning this in his contract year so he needs to impress and it's easy to fire him b/c Jets aren't the hook for much salary.
Agree with that, but my worry is who’s out there to be a replacement?
Some of the available options scare me a lot more than PMO staying around.

Reactions: Hunter368

cgc83

30-HELENS-AGREE
Jul 8, 2018
You wanna see a non-story check out Dreger's piece on Maurice visiting Laine. 4 sentences and 2 of them were stats. I've literally written more here than he did.
really dont have a strong opinion on Dreger either way at this point but i feel when Mackenzie retires soon ill dislike him and his reporting a lot more.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Jets have 15.5 million available cap space.

Kulikov (4.3 million) & MP (4.1 million) could be traded if forced to.

You mean the Kulikov that is an average 3rd pair D and that gets paid 4,3 millions to play 16 mins per night? I'm sure he could get traded, but in order to do it without getting salary back, it will be costly (see Mason, Steve and Marleau, Patrick).

Same could be said of Perreault; I don't see teams fighting to get a 31 y old 30 pts winger that plays 12 mins a night and that is signed 2 years at 4,125 millions in real money.

These are not easy trades to make without getting any salary back.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
You mean the Kulikov that is an average 3rd pair D and that gets paid 4,3 millions to play 16 mins per night? I'm sure he could get traded, but in order to do it without getting salary back, it will be costly (see Mason, Steve and Marleau, Patrick).

Same could be said of Perreault; I don't see teams fighting to get a 31 y old 30 pts winger that plays 12 mins a night and that is signed 2 years at 4,125 millions in real money.

These are not easy trades to make without getting any salary back.

Cap hits are traded every year to make cap space.....no one said it would be easy or without a cost of futures......thus why I said "if forced". But you don't lose Connor or Laine over a pick or two or 3rd line player who is easily replaceable from within.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Cap hits are traded every year to make cap space.....no one said it would be easy or without a cost of futures......thus why I said "if forced". But you don't lose Connor or Laine over a pick or two or 3rd line player who is easily replaceable from within.

Of course, but I still think Chevy should explore trade options for one or the other if those 2 end up eating more than 15 millions of cap, and he should look for a decent D. That defense is going to be so bad it is not even funny. I read somewhere that Beaulieu will have to play on the first pair with Buff? It is just horrible. You can't call yourself a contender with that kind of line-up.

Not many teams have top 4 D to spare... Buffalo would be the logic trade partner. That right side is stacked, with Ristolainen, Montour, Miller, Jokiharju... Ristolainen would look good on a second pairing and on the PP, and he is signed at a decent price for 3 more years. The ideal would be a LD, but at least it would push back Pionk on the 3rd pair.

Maybe one of the LD of te NYI? Leddy, Aho? A major add would be of course necessary.

Its a bit late for that kind of trade, should have been done in June.

Last edited:

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Didn't he have a year left when he signed that deal?

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Kyle Connors an absolute stud. As much as I'm concerned about Boeser, I'd hate to be a Jets fan with 2 huge RFAs still unsigned.

Its so interesting with so many RFAs still unsigned. Do all these guys just not wanna play hockey? I know Boeser is the type of guy that will hate missing time, especially now after the injury trouble. I can't imagine Kyle Connor, Matthew Tkachuk & Charlie McAvoy don't hate being on the outside looking in too.

I really wonder what will happen with the Jets. Its tough losing Trouba, now Connor & Laine are still up in the air. I feel like their top contending window is sort of hanging in the balance here. Still time & plenty of assets to get this ship moving the right direction, but its an interesting time.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Of course, but I still think Chevy should explore trade options for one or the other if those 2 end up eating more than 15 millions of cap, and he should look for a decent D. That defense is going to be so bad it is not even funny. I read somewhere that Beaulieu will have to play on the first pair with Buff? It is just horrible. You can't call yourself a contender with that kind of line-up.

Not many teams have top 4 D to spare... Buffalo would be the logic trade partner. That right side is stacked, with Ristolainen, Montour, Miller, Jokiharju... Ristolainen would look good on a second pairing and on the PP, and he is signed at a decent price for 3 more years. The ideal would be a LD, but at least it would push back Pionk on the 3rd pair.

Maybe one of the LD of te NYI? Leddy, Aho? A major add would be of course necessary.

Thanks for your concern but your suggestions are not really helpful. The Risto suggestion is blech. He won't get PP1 minutes and is brutal in his own end. Under those circumstances I'd prefer to play a young cheap guy like Poolman who can defend then a mis-cast Risto.

The Jets did take a hit with the loss of Trouba but Myers and Chiarot are essentially addition by subtraction. Neither were very good and signing either would have been a huge mistake. Buff has dragged Chiarot around and made him look like an NHL hockey player. Kulikov or Bealieu are easily as good or better and playing with Buff will make them look decent.

Pionk, Niku, Poolman etc... are all great options for our 3rd pair.

The issue again is the loss of Trouba and who plays with Morrissey. I'd rather see what we have and grow the team then do some knee jerk reaction that costs us elite scoring talent like Connor. Help is on the way for D and the Jets are one of the youngest teams in the league.

If the forwards can commit to the defensive back pressure they applied in 2017-18 that will make a huge difference to the d-core results.

Adding Risto is not the move that is going to make us contenders. I'd rather see what we have with this new look and then maybe make a move if the team is playing well enough to justify a move.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

Ryan Murray? ;)

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Thanks for your concern but your suggestions are not really helpful. The Risto suggestion is blech. He won't get PP1 minutes and is brutal in his own end. Under those circumstances I'd prefer to play a young cheap guy like Poolman who can defend then a mis-cast Risto.

The Jets did take a hit with the loss of Trouba but Myers and Chiarot are essentially addition by subtraction. Neither were very good and signing either would have been a huge mistake. Buff has dragged Chiarot around and made him look like an NHL hockey player. Kulikov or Bealieu are easily as good or better and playing with Buff will make them look decent.

Pionk, Niku, Poolman etc... are all great options for our 3rd pair.

The issue again is the loss of Trouba and who plays with Morrissey. I'd rather see what we have and grow the team then do some knee jerk reaction that costs us elite scoring talent like Connor. Help is on the way for D and the Jets are one of the youngest teams in the league.

If the forwards can commit to the defensive back pressure they applied in 2017-18 that will make a huge difference to the d-core results.

Adding Risto is not the move that is going to make us contenders. I'd rather see what we have with this new look and then maybe make a move if the team is playing well enough to justify a move.

Thinking Beaulieu will look decent on a first pairing because he plays with Buff is wishful thinking. Do you think he'll magically become good at 26? Just ask any Montreal or Buffalo fan.

You cannot think you can contend with a top 4 that has only 2 decent defensemen, that's my only point. Jets will waste a year in which they are suppose to contend with that kind of defense, and I might be mistaken but I don't see major help on the way beside Heinola, who's 18 y old and should not be part of any NHL top 4 for at least a few years.

Not saying there is an ideal solution, but I think it will be soon obvious enough that the Jets should not be spending that much on wingers if that means they have to ice a D that has to be bottom 5 in the league.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
really dont have a strong opinion on Dreger either way at this point but i feel when Mackenzie retires soon ill dislike him and his reporting a lot more.
He was over at a friend's house when I was a teenager, and he was a douchey local sports guy on the evening news. He was even douchier in person, and I see it every time I see him on tv.

It's like his entire purpose for being there is to say he deserves to be there. Maybe even more than the player he's talking to or his fellow commentators. I strongly dislike his mannerisms, his taste in suits, his tone of voice and the fact that his head is too large for his little tiny body.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
It's Sept. 13. No team contacted Kyle Connor. If they had they he'd have been tendered an offer sheet. He's from Michigan. He has no allegiance or ties to Winnipeg.
We only hear about offer sheets that are signed. It's entirely possible other teams reached out but the discussions didn't go that far.

I don't see why it's relevant that he's from Michigan though. Why is it that it matters where a player is from only when it's Michigan? Maybe players like playing where they know they can be successful and get to play with other good players.

Reactions: hn777

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Thinking Beaulieu will look decent on a first pairing because he plays with Buff is wishful thinking. Do you think he'll magically become good at 26? Just ask any Montreal or Buffalo fan.

You cannot think you can contend with a top 4 that has only 2 decent defensemen, that's my only point. Jets will waste a year in which they are suppose to contend with that kind of defense, and I might be mistaken but I don't see major help on the way beside Heinola, who's 18 y old and should not be part of any NHL top 4 for at least a few years.

Not saying there is an ideal solution, but I think it will be soon obvious enough that the Jets should not be spending that much on wingers if that means they have to ice a D that has to be bottom 5 in the league.

I mean, Buff carried Chiarot to his new contract.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada

What part of Ben Chiarot was absolute crap and Buff made him serviceable don't you get? Bealieu is better than Chiarot. He did decently filling in on the top line for a bit with Trouba last year. Nothing special, didn't choke.

The Jets need to see what they have and how players have progressed before they make franchise altering decisions.

Samberg has had an amazing college career and will likely be signed at the end of this season. Stanley (1st round pick 2016) had a nice AHL season and is progressing as a late bloomer he may see some NHL action this year. The Jets can make a transaction mid-season. Keep in mind that the Blues were the worst team in the league at X-MAS last year.

Once you resolve the RFA situation then you look to address the D-spot if necessary / possible.

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014

Beaulieu looked fine on the top pair with Trouba last year. Not great, but serviceable. Suggesting we need Left D does show that you don't know about our prospect pool. Here's our the notable Left Shot D that we've acquired in the last few years: Logan Stanley (1st round pick), Dylan Samberg (2nd round pick), Sami Niku (AHL dman of the year in his rookie season) and Heinola (1st round pick).

Logan Stanley is going to push for a spot in camp this year and will at worst see time with the Jets as an injury replacement. Kulikov said his back is finally right (cough, contract year, cough). We expect Samberg to sign after his NCAA season is done and then play in the playoffs a la Dante Fabro or Cale Makar. Niku is going to be on the Jets this year but camp battles are going to determine if he plays on the Left side with Buff or on the right side with Beaulieu or Kulikov.

To recap, with JMO locked up long term we also have Niku, Stanley, Samberg and Heinola as left shot D, but Niku does prefer to play the right side. Heinola, Samberg and Stanley have also all spent time on the right side last year so the back end does look bright in the future, but we will be starting the transition this year. It likely does mean a bit of a step back but I still see us as a wild card team.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad