Dreger: Teams calling on Lehner and Johnson

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I'm still not entirely sure how Edmonton managed to lose to the Sabres, looking totally offensively inept, but put up 8 on Vegas, 7 on Calgary, 6 on the Devils, and 6 on Detroit.

Pretty sure Edmonton was being hit with the flu bug when they played us

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Edmonton should be calling on Chad Johnson. It's a very important stretch of the season - too important to trust it to Brossoit and Ellis. Some reports are saying we might not have Talbot back til after Christmas.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Why did Johnson sign in Buffalo to begin with? You'd think he'd go somewhere where he had a shot at being a #1. Then again, Lehner kinda sucks. Just seems like a poor decision on Johnsons part.

lifeisruff

Oct 29, 2009
wny
Well, with us just picking up Davidson, LB looking terrible and now being at 49 contracts, Chia has some moves to make and a backup goaltender is 1st on the list. We have the cap space this year so use it. Anyone would be an upgrade on LB at this point.

Not a problem, Buffalo would need a goalie back to either keep Ullmark in Rochester or replace him with an equal or better goalie.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Why did Johnson sign in Buffalo to begin with? You'd think he'd go somewhere where he had a shot at being a #1. Then again, Lehner kinda sucks. Just seems like a poor decision on Johnsons part.

The Sabres were his best shot, and he is splitting minutes. He sucks though so please take him. We'll take depth NHLers all day.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

He liked it there and didn't enjoy his time in Calgary?

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Assuming a goalie is also coming back in the trade, who is it?

Howard/Mrazek
Reimer
Anderson/Condon
Darling/Ward
Pavelec
Elliott/Neuvirth
Varlamov/Bernier
Mason
Raanta/Wedgewood
Lack
Brossoit

Also a few teams wouldn't need to send a goalie back...

Pittsburgh
Arizona
Calgary
Edmonton

These can either be trades about BUF dumping Lehner with another team upgrading their #2 guy, or, they can be BUF upgrading to Varlamov / Howard / etc and the other team downgrading to Lehner.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
I don't think there are many if any teams that would trade for Lehner to be their starter right now, so you're going to get the evaluation and return for a $4M pending RFA back up.

Arizona may be the only logical landing spot I can think of where Lehner could compete to start. Philly would have to believe he is worth resigning and send Elliott to BUF.

Hockey OchoCinco would be a useful back up to a number of teams.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
The Flyers really like Elliott. I think it would be Neuvirth returning to Buffalo.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Edmonton should be calling on Chad Johnson. It's a very important stretch of the season - too important to trust it to Brossoit and Ellis. Some reports are saying we might not have Talbot back til after Christmas.
Either Johnson or Lehner would be fine with me. Either are probably only here until the end of the season. Give us either one for Slepyshev and let's call it a day. We'll add a late round pick if Buffalo retains salary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad