Dreger: Teams calling on Lehner and Johnson

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
buffalo has scored 1 goal in 5 games and they blame lehner lol. Not hasek in his prime would save this team.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
We have enough crap players, we don't need more of them with no upside...
Slepyshev is a decent enough player, could become a legit 2nd line shooter. Lowe is AHL fodder. Not many teams are willing to take back a contract without sending one back. There is a limit to the number a team can have.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I'd take Girgs over Slepy, thanks. Like easily
Slepyshev has more offensive upside, but Girgs is the better defensive player. If you'd rather keep Girensen's thats fine though. I am in no rush to move Slepyshev myself. Take those two out and the other guys offer for Johnson was still more than fair.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
buffalo has scored 1 goal in 5 games and they blame lehner lol. Not hasek in his prime would save this team.

Wrong. Nobody blames Lehner for the team being bad. Doesn't change the fact that he's absolutely part of the problem and not worth keeping around long term.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Lehner has a hard time hugging the post and can't move side to side worth a damn.

I'll be surprised if we get more than a 3rd and the other teams overpaid old goalie

Reactions: Mittelstadt

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
I think it will take a 2nd for Lehner and move on. Johnson the best pick in this or next season. At this point neither should be in the plans of the Sabres long term. They should attempt to recoup as many assets as possible on parts.

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
When was the last time a rental goalie got a 1st?
He's not necessarily a rental. He's an RFA this summer, though he'd have to be qualified at 4 million in order to stay as an RFA. But if a team is moving a 1st for him then they would probably plan on qualifying him.

IMO no teams would offer a 1st for him, the Sabres would likely get a 2nd.

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site

I have to agree with that.

Lehner has not been the issue. In fact, he has kept Buffalo in many games despite facing a barrage of up close odd man rushes and such.

I do think that on a good team, Lehner would have much better numbers.

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
I have to agree with that.

Lehner has not been the issue. In fact, he has kept Buffalo in many games despite facing a barrage of up close odd man rushes and such.

I do think that on a good team, Lehner would have much better numbers.

Agreed. He's really awesome and any team would be lucky to have him. Hopefully whatever team you are a fan of trades for him so you can see it for yourself.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
Why do Sabres fans not like Lehner, his stats the last couple of years seem fine.
He is a good goalie, he has a few warts. He is not good at shootouts and has a slower than desired post coverage. The main problem is that our defense is a train wreck and it really amplifies his short comings. He has improved the last year and a half at challenging shooters.

Ideally he would go to a team that has a solid d corps that doesn't make cross ice passes in front of his crease that are picked off and for the most part can keep a crease clear.

I would be fine signing him to an extension but we need to fix our d first. If he brings back a solid d man, then it's see ya later.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
When was the last time a rental goalie got a 1st?
8366230.jpg

Kamina

Amok
Feb 28, 2007
I still like Lehner. I still look fondly on him for the B-Sens championship run and his fearsome stare. If Anderson/Condon continue to fall short, I would be okay with the Sens re-acquiring him for cheap. I might be in the minority here though.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Johnson is a better goalie than Lehner. Even with the 5 yr age difference I wonder just how much more "value" to the league Lehner has over Johnson.

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
Johnson is a better goalie than Lehner. Even with the 5 yr age difference I wonder just how much more "value" to the league Lehner has over Johnson.
Johnson has .883%

He is not better than lehner

drew5580

Sponsor
Jan 6, 2007
Why do Sabres fans not like Lehner, his stats the last couple of years seem fine.

There’s a vocal group around here that have a problem w what we gave up to get him. And in Buffalo, for some reason we always seem to have a faction that thinks the backup on both our pro teams are better than starters and deserve a shot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad