Friedman: Teams calling Habs about Max Pacioretty Sign and Trade

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
This is far more complicated than coming up with trading partner.
Teams aren't "trading" till they no what Max wants in a extension. So do the Canadiens allow the Max to negotiate with 10 teams that are interested. Then the there might be a "winner" now that team now how to go in negotiation with Habs for Max. Well if there no agreement what happens. Max goes back to the Habs, or do the Max accept the second best contract, and then that team tries to make a deal with the Habs. Where doesn't the madness end?

These sign and trades....a year out are just nonsense. They don't happen.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
I wonder if the Blues have what it would take to make a competitive bid--without including Thomas, Parayko or Kyrou.
Unless Patches magically switches to RW over the offseason, the Blues are stacked at LW. Don't see the reason to make a bid, competitive or not. There are much more pressing needs up the middle and on the right side as compared to the luxury of having yet another LW.

Furthermore, Patches doesn't get a sniff of Parayko in a trade unless there is a significant amount of additions.

Non Player Canadiens

Jan 25, 2012
Maplewood, NJ
I used to love Max Pax, but that was ~6 yrs ago when he had one of the best releases in the league and when he used to drive the net from the outside like a power forward.

I just don't see that much value in Max Pax today. just a soft perimeter player... :(

sorry friends, but we're not hitting the jackpot when we trade him

Reactions: DRW204 and CDN24

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Lol as if bjugstad didn't benefit playing with barkov and dadonov on the WING last year. And I know how many panther fans didn't even want bjugstad there. I wouldn't fall for the clear attempt of pumping and dumping a 35 to 40 pt guy in reality. It's actually pathetic on how with this linemates and pp time he only managed 49 pts. That's awful. A 6'6 player that doesn't use his size either. I've seen enough of bjugstad to know that he's overrated as hell. Plays in a nowhere market and people just assume he's a good player...he aint. He's mediocre.

he was awful 2 seasons ago. played pretty well this past year. played on the wing because Barkov and Trochek are the top 2 C..those guys are pretty good.

I personally would hate to see Bjugstad on the habs. not only would he walk in right away as their best C, he would be a matchup nightmare against Matthews/Kadri

to each their own i guess

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
I used to love Max Pax, but that was ~6 yrs ago when he had one of the best releases in the league and when he used to drive the net from the outside like a power forward.

I just don't see that much value in Max Pax today. just a soft perimeter player... :(

sorry friends, but we're not hitting the jackpot when we trade him
A habs fan thay doesnt wildly overvalue his own players? OMG ITS THE END OF THE WORLD.

Reactions: SquiddFX

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
So.. the Habs are the third worst scoring team in the league... why are they trading Patches again? To get worse? Because if he's a "30 goal scorer" they will need him. If not, he's worth little.

Reactions: 67Blues

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
So.. the Habs are the third worst scoring team in the league... why are they trading Patches again? To get worse? Because if he's a "30 goal scorer" they will need him. If not, he's worth little.
^^
And cuz we won't extend him and will likely start rebuilding.

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
^^
And cuz we won't extend him and will likely start rebuilding.

Also Patches doesn't seem to be very enthusiastic being in Montreal anymorE. I think the guy need a change of scenery. You can pratically read it in his face.

That and the Habs will draft 3rd overall this year which very likely mean one of Svechnikov or Zadina and both could possibly be able to replace Patches in the future if they fulfill their potential . Both are goal scorers like Patchws

And finally i'm not sure extending Pacioretty long term at 7m+ per year is a very good idea from a Montreal POV. Patches will very likely rebound but i don't think Montreal in his current state is the best place for him to do that.

Thats my 2 cents as an Habs fan

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Also Patches doesn't seem to be very enthusiastic being in Montreal anymorE. I think the guy need a change of scenery. You can pratically read it in his face.

That and the Habs will draft 3rd overall this year which very likely mean one of Svechnikov or Zadina and both could possibly be able to replace Patches in the future if they fulfill their potential . Both are goal scorers like Patchws

And finally i'm not sure extending Pacioretty long term at 7m+ per year is a very good idea from a Montreal POV. Patches will very likely rebound but i don't think Montreal in his current state is the best place for him to do that.

Thats my 2 cents as an Habs fan
*Fully be read

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Outside the box idea, but I presume it's illegal following the CBA to retain salary on a contract that hasn't kicked in yet? Say for example we do a sign and trade (4 years @ 6.5M), could the team retain something like 750K or 1M on that deal or no?

The CBA doesn’t go into that level of detail. My best guess given the CBA wording is that it’s probably legal. Though there could be some non public agreements between the NHL and PA that bar a deal like that.

Reactions: Chris Cutter

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
There is nothing prohibiting any discussions. His agent will have secured a verbal agreement prior to any trade and signing him will only be a formality. It's doable but whoever is suggesting anything less than a 7-year deal is dreaming.

Important clarification:

There is nothing prohibiting Montreal from discussing an extension with Patches.

Patches and his agent can not have extension discussions with another team without Montreal first granting him permission to do so.

mrinsane

Dec 8, 2005
Max Pacioretty destination could be: Nashville, New Jersey, Florida, Saint-Louis or Dallas and maybe Carolina.

Bergevin will look for a 1rst round pick, a young center or a good puck moving d-man under 25 yrs old and a B prospect

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Max Pacioretty destination could be: Nashville, New Jersey, Florida, Saint-Louis or Dallas and maybe Carolina.

Bergevin will look for a 1rst round pick, a young center or a good puck moving d-man under 25 yrs old and a B prospect
Really not this crap again.
Your not getting that haul. Def not from st. Louis.
At this point you will possibly get a 25-31 1st and a b prospect (non center)

Blues are not trading you Thomas, kyrou, Kostin Thompson or dunn. Just isn't happening. It's funny we go over this on a weekly basis. Blues do not need another lh shot lwer at the cost of our top prospects that actually fill needs for the blues

Last edited:

Leviathan

Nov 25, 2008
I used to think Friedman knew stuff when I was younger. He's brutal. Any poster here could do his job at this point.
Is that because you expect every rumour he reports to come true? There's actually probably only 2 or 3 people more connected in the hockey world than Friedman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad