Friedman: Teams calling Habs about Max Pacioretty Sign and Trade

ThatSaid

May 31, 2015
Glendale Heights, IL
I think a sign and trade makes sense for all of the parties involved. Pacioretty gets to be more involved in picking his next destination, as obviously Montreal has not worked out for him. Habs get more value back, because they are trading Patches at near full value, instead of at the deadline as a pending UFA. With Price still theoretically in his prime, I think they want to compete next year. They likely want someone who can play now back. Whoever acquires Patches is obviously happy with his contract and term, and no longer has to deal with the uncertainty of a pending UFA.

I think it probably goes down like that.

member 157595

Yeah let's forget about stats. Let's forget about player age too. Let's not forget you're a biaised leaf fan tho!!!

Most Leaf fans don't like the Sabres either, and to be honest going forward I expect that our rivalry with Buffalo will only get nastier.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Most Leaf fans don't like the Sabres either, and to be honest going forward I expect that our rivalry with Buffalo will only get nastier.

Yes, I know. It was directed to this poster in particular, not the fan base. I know many leafs fan who doesn't hate the habs as much these days haha.

member 157595

Yes, I know. It was directed to this poster in particular, not the fan base. I know many leafs fan who doesn't hate the habs as much these days haha.
Fair enough. The problem is that our two teams are almost never good at the same time, and the lack of playoff battles is a severe downer.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
I think a sign and trade makes sense for all of the parties involved. Pacioretty gets to be more involved in picking his next destination, as obviously Montreal has not worked out for him. Habs get more value back, because they are trading Patches at near full value, instead of at the deadline as a pending UFA. With Price still theoretically in his prime, I think they want to compete next year. They likely want someone who can play now back. Whoever acquires Patches is obviously happy with his contract and term, and no longer has to deal with the uncertainty of a pending UFA.

I think it probably goes down like that.

Which makes sign and trade BEFORE July 1s highly unlikely. Everybody wants certainty. Habs aren't getting a nice 2018 pick. 2019 maybe.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Ohhh gawd here he goes again....

Let's compare the same seasons in their careers...

O'Reilly
81 8 18 26
74 13 13 26
81 18 37 55
29 6 14 20
80 28 36 64
82 17 38 55

Galchenyuk
48 9 18 27
65 13 18 31
80 20 26 46
82 30 26 56
61 17 27 44
82 19 32 51

Hmmm seems like very similar career paths so far. So yes O'Reilly is a little better on offence and more rounded on defence but there is an age gap, O'Reilly has matured more, he has not been run around like the Habs have done with Glachenyuk and then there is the contract difference. O'Reilly is paid like a really great number 1C but he is more of a really great 2C. Yes he would be the 1C in Montreal right now but at that cap hit no thanks.

not really though. ROR was already a 55pt guy his 3rd year in the league , and has been every year since. galchenyuk has hit it once, and likely would have hit it another based on ppg.

yeah yeah age gap. fact remains though ROR was already a lock for 55pts at the same age, and had been getting that for multiple seasons. ROR has shown he is a 55-65pt 1C. that has a lot more value than a 46-56pt winger like galchenyuk.

not saying there isnt a basis to be made but a 2nd doesnt bridge the gap

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
Not true anymore. Unless you can prove me wrong?

Well, he was given 55.9% offensive zone starts, which admittedly is down from last year when he needed 68.3% offensive zone starts.

The problem is that he has a negative relative corsi even with those zone starts. ROR on the other hand had 48.3% offensive zone start and an amazing corsi rel of +9.5.

Admittedly Galchenyuk wasn't as sheltered this year as he was in years past, but he's still sheltered and the results don't exactly give me confidence that he's capable of handling those tougher minutes.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
not really though. ROR was already a 55pt guy his 3rd year in the league , and has been every year since. galchenyuk has hit it once, and likely would have hit it another based on ppg.

yeah yeah age gap. fact remains though ROR was already a lock for 55pts at the same age, and had been getting that for multiple seasons. ROR has shown he is a 55-65pt 1C. that has a lot more value than a 46-56pt winger like galchenyuk.

Maybe not for you. But, we don't care about your clearly biaised opinion on habs players value.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017

ROR first 6 seasons 246 pts
Galchenyuk first 6 seasons 255pts
;)

Reactions: Captain97

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad