Friedman: Teams calling Habs about Max Pacioretty Sign and Trade

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com
During HNIC Elliotte Friedman said that teams who had interest in Evander Kane becoming an UFA may have now called Montreal asking about Max Pacioretty and what he's asking for on his next contract. He said that it would be a sign and trade situation so -and this is my clarification not Friedman's- something like when Nashville had a deal worked out with Kyle Turris prior to the Duchene deal going through.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
During HNIC Elliotte Friedman said that teams who had interest in Evander Kane becoming an UFA may have now called Montreal asking about Max Pacioretty and what he's asking for on his next contract. He said that it would be a sign and trade situation so -and this is my clarification not Friedman's- something like when Nashville had a deal worked out with Kyle Turris prior to the Duchene deal going through.

This is where I turned off the tv.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
I used to think Friedman knew stuff when I was younger. He's brutal. Any poster here could do his job at this point.

He's talking about hockey like any hockey writer would and should. The vitriol towards hockey journalists on HF lately is pathetic.

Would you rather we just made nonsensical trades and argued about them? Or would you rather someone who has connections discuss the happenings behind the scenes in the NHL?

logik47

Sep 14, 2014
I'm wondering what could an extended Pacioretty fetch...

Ideally a young top 6 center or a top 4 LHD.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
This would be pretty bad. Especially if Pacioretty is signed long term.

he wont be though. why would patches give up the right to choose where he goes by agreeing to a sign and trade?

whats the market on a pending UFA winger that didnt have 20g or 40pts last year?

McCann managed 0.41ppg last year with minimal PP time. He would probabl;y be a 50pt guy with PP time. that + Rasmus Kupari would be a good return for a year of Patches (I dont believe for a second a sign and trade is even remotely possible)

Last edited:

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
I used to think Friedman knew stuff when I was younger. He's brutal. Any poster here could do his job at this point.
There's only so much information out there so he does a lot of speculating. But obviously it's not much of a limb to be out on saying teams have inquired about a player.
Take them all with a block of salt.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I think this is what it is. He basically just makes educated guesses which is fine but he is billed as an insider.
He is an insider. He's also a writer and an analyst/pundit, so a big part of his job is supplying a stream of information for an audience that demands it. When he's got inside information that he can share, he shares it. When he doesn't he fills the gaps with speculation, just like everyone else. Unlike everyone else he's probably working with at least a little extra information.

It'd be one thing if people were annoyed that he passed his speculation off as inside information, but in general he's pretty clear about when he's doing what. I'm not sure what else you could ask for from him (or McKenzie, or anyone else that does this sort of thing).

Edit: This Pacioretty thing is a good example. It's speculation, but it's well-reasoned speculation. I can't imagine there isn't interest in Pacioretty and a lot of that interest is likely to be tangled up with his impending extension.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Why are the Habs supposedly so willing to trade one of their best goal scorers when they have had troubles scoring goals ?
I never understood this, I did not watch many Habs games the past season , but always thought patches was pretty damn good? Is he not worth his contract or why does it seem like Hab fans are trying to get rid of him ?

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Why are the Habs supposedly so willing to trade one of their best goal scorers when they have had troubles scoring goals ?
I never understood this, I did not watch many Habs games the past season , but always thought patches was pretty damn good? Is he not worth his contract or why does it seem like Hab fans are trying to get rid of him ?

Habs have a lot of good wingers so trading Pacioretty would be a smart move if you manage to get back a center or LD, which the habs desperately need.

Bergevin is asking a lot for Patcioretty, so its not like we want to get rid of him. Its just the better decision thinking long term.

Theres also the possibility of Patch declining, so trading him now, when he still has a lot of value, would be good.

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
He's talking about hockey like any hockey writer would and should. The vitriol towards hockey journalists on HF lately is pathetic.

Would you rather we just made nonsensical trades and argued about them? Or would you rather someone who has connections discuss the happenings behind the scenes in the NHL?

According to the real experts(HF posters), Pacioretty, a multiple time 30 goal scorer, has negative value because he had a down season and has only one year remaining under contract. No team would give up any assets of value for him. Maybe a 3rd rounder if they're desperate.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012

To be fair this isn't his fault.

This was him clearly speculating. All the people who can't understand the difference between reporting and speculating rushed to claim that he said teams were calling about Pacioretty.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
According to the real experts(HF posters), Pacioretty, a multiple time 30 goal scorer, has negative value because he had a down season and has only one year remaining under contract. No team would give up any assets of value for him. Maybe a 3rd rounder if they're desperate.

Somehow knowing what he'll cost beyond that year and for how much is also a negative.

The guy doesn't play a grinding game. Has played with fairly decent, or worse teammates.

He has a shot that he can score with almost at any time.

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
Those teams probably wasted a phone call because I doubt Bergevin has any idea what kind of extension Patches is looking at right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->