WC: Team Slovakia

stastny12

Dec 26, 2018
Trencin, Slovakia
So my takeaway from the 2 friendly games against Czechs.
- We can't score
- I suppose that's mainly because our top 3 centers (Hudacek, Kristof, Dano) have not yet joined the team
- Young guns Bucek, Lantosi, Studenic with the most drive and pretty much the only ones that manage to make some things happen offensively
- Panik was invisible in the 2nd game, I hope that will change once on a line with Tatar and a proper center
- Defense was OK in the 2nd game and will be good enough after the last additions
- Conclusion: If we won't start scoring after the last roster additions, then our best bet will be to win games 1-0
Lot of offensive problems I agree. My biggest fear are goalies, though. Whenever we have made a huge result on those tournaments, mainly, it was because our goalie was stunning. Lets say, Hudacek and Ciliak are more than decent, but could they been the walls?

By the way, Rybar is just one game from being out of playoffs!

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
So my takeaway from the 2 friendly games against Czechs.
- We can't score
- I suppose that's mainly because our top 3 centers (Hudacek, Kristof, Dano) have not yet joined the team
- Young guns Bucek, Lantosi, Studenic with the most drive and pretty much the only ones that manage to make some things happen offensively
- Panik was invisible in the 2nd game, I hope that will change once on a line with Tatar and a proper center
- Defense was OK in the 2nd game and will be good enough after the last additions
- Conclusion: If we won't start scoring after the last roster additions, then our best bet will be to win games 1-0

The likes of Tatar and Panik shouldn't be judged from these pre-tournament games. Their roster spots are secure and likely they are giving 50% to avoid injury. That's what I would do if I were them, play these games to stay in shape but cruise through them to not get injured and miss a fun tournament on home ice.

Last edited:

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Cehlarik is potentially free as Providence lost to Jurco’s Charlotte.

The question is — will he join the national team now, or the Bruins won’t release him?

I would be very surprised if they released him with the Bruins still in the playoffs. While he seems to have fallen on the depth chart towards the end of the season, he did play 20 games in the big league with at least some production. If they run into injuries they might need him.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Nagy is 39 years old, is he really still good enough?

And if Zaborsky wanted to play, would he make it? 34 points in 47 Liiga games is impressing.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Nagy is 39 years old, is he really still good enough?

And if Zaborsky wanted to play, would he make it? 34 points in 47 Liiga games is impressing.

The slovak league is weak, but there's always gonna be a few players from it on the Slovak national team. Nagy was 3rd in the league in scoring this season, and had 10 points in 7 games in the WC last year. I imagine he's friends with Satan at some level too, so with all those things in mind he's probably a guarantee to make the team.

Zaborsky would probably have made the team, but then again Bakos was cut which surprises me. There's some depth on the wing position though. If Jurco and Cehlarik becomes available, Zaborsky maybe wouldn't have made the team regardless if he wanted to play. The center position is straight up awful though. Some good news for the future is that Adam Ruzicka and Martin Pospisil were signed to ELC's recently. Milos Roman I think will get a contract too. Hopefully these guys can develop into better centers than what Slovakia has now.

Reactions: Eye of Ra

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
I thing, that Cehlarik should stay in Boston. I dont see him now as a player, that could change the overall performance from Slovak national team. better for him, if he is on eyes in Boston.

stastny12

Dec 26, 2018
Trencin, Slovakia
I thing, that Cehlarik should stay in Boston. I dont see him now as a player, that could change the overall performance from Slovak national team. better for him, if he is on eyes in Boston.
I disagree. He has showed this season that he can score goals. Basically, from every position. NT definitely need a scorer like this.

hellwar9

Jul 17, 2017
Slovakia
The slovak league is weak, but there's always gonna be a few players from it on the Slovak national team. Nagy was 3rd in the league in scoring this season, and had 10 points in 7 games in the WC last year. I imagine he's friends with Satan at some level too, so with all those things in mind he's probably a guarantee to make the team.

Zaborsky would probably have made the team, but then again Bakos was cut which surprises me. There's some depth on the wing position though. If Jurco and Cehlarik becomes available, Zaborsky maybe wouldn't have made the team regardless if he wanted to play. The center position is straight up awful though. Some good news for the future is that Adam Ruzicka and Martin Pospisil were signed to ELC's recently. Milos Roman I think will get a contract too. Hopefully these guys can develop into better centers than what Slovakia has now.

Tomas Zaborsky ended his national career 4 years ago and last year confirmed it.

But it's true, slovak league is not really good now, but there is few interesting player in the league like Nagy, Bucek, Lantosi, Bondra

mirec04

Sep 3, 2018
Slovakia
Here is my roster prediction

Rybár
Hudáček
Godla

Sekera-Černák
Feherváry-Jaroš
Marinčin-Ďaloga
Grman-Gernát

Tatar-Hudáček-Pánik
Nagy-Krištof-Lantoši
Studenič-Daňo-Buček
Svitana-Marcinko-Bondra

Liška,Buc

Reactions: stastny12

mirec04

Sep 3, 2018
Slovakia

Slovak league made some improvement in last years but still it has not such quality as e.x. german league (not talking about swedish, finish, czech, swiss..) but we are still little bit ahead of austrian EBEL league IMO.
I agree with centers, this has become our biggest problem..
If for example Paul Stastny could play for Slovakia, we could have at least 1 top line... :)

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Slovak league made some improvement in last years but still it has not such quality as e.x. german league (not talking about swedish, finish, czech, swiss..) but we are still little bit ahead of austrian EBEL league IMO.
I agree with centers, this has become our biggest problem..
If for example Paul Stastny could play for Slovakia, we could have at least 1 top line... :)

czech league is same level as del

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
How well accustomed is Hudacek at center versus playing the wing position? Can he win faceoffs? Can any of the likely center candidates win faceoffs? I think I read in this thread Kytnar is effective in that department, which should make him a likely candidate to make the team as he could come in handy on the PK.

Edit: Surprisingly Marko Dano, though he was once drafted as a center, has only taken 54 faceoffs in his NHL career, and won 20 of them. Of those 54 faceoffs taken, 37 came in his rookie year with the Blue Jackets. In other words, he's only taken 17 faceoffs for Chicago, Winnipeg and Colorado combined over the past four seasons.

Last edited:

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
There isnt a strict rule, that only center should be on faceoffs.

I'm aware. I'm asking how used Hudacek is to the center position because RW is listed as his primary position on EP, and if I'm not mistaken he played almost exclusively wing during his days in the SHL. As for the faceoff thing, it's not likely that he'll play with any wingers who are strong on faceoffs, so he'll likely gonna be the one taking most of them if he's gonna play center.

mirec04

Sep 3, 2018
Slovakia
I'm aware. I'm asking how used Hudacek is to the center position because RW is listed as his primary position on EP, and if I'm not mistaken he played almost exclusively wing during his days in the SHL. As for the faceoff thing, it's not likely that he'll play with any wingers who are strong on faceoffs, so he'll likely gonna be the one taking most of them if he's gonna play center.
He was alternating between RW and center in Liberec this season

Reactions: Elvs

tobu

Jan 10, 2013
Bratislava, Slovakia
That means Dano and Hudacek will definitely play centers. It's almost definite that the centers will be Kristof, Hudacek, Dano, Marcinko. None of which have yet played in the friendly games.

tobu

Jan 10, 2013
Bratislava, Slovakia
my shot at final roster right now

Rybár
Čiliak
Godla

Sekera-Černák
Feherváry-Jaroš
Marinčin-Ďaloga
Čajkovsky-Čerešnák

Tatar-Hudáček-Pánik
Nagy-Krištof-Lantoši
Studenič-Daňo-Buček
Liška-Marcinko-Bondra
Buc

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Only offensive part. Otherwise, defenders and mainly goalies are upgraded

You're kidding. Both Lašák & Staňa were NHL goaltenders. Marginal, but NHL. So was most of the defence, with Višňovský a superstar. (Sorry, but Sekera is a star, no superstar.)

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
You're kidding. Both Lašák & Staňa were NHL goaltenders. Marginal, but NHL. So was most of the defence, with Višňovský a superstar. (Sorry, but Sekera is a star, no superstar.)

Yeah, one year Chara won the norris and Visnovsky was 4th for the norris. At that time Sekera was also better than he is now and Meszaros was also a top 4 defenseman. Peak of slovak hockey was maybe 2001-2006, but even slovak teams of the late 90's and up until 2010 could ice better lineups than what's the case currently.

Anyway, this looks like the strongest slovak team since 2012 when they reached a silver medal. Games against France and GBR are must wins. Denmark will be a bit more difficult but is another game Slovakia can't afford to lose. Key game is against Germany, if they can shut down Draisaitl they should come up on top. But with how poor Finland's roster looks like this year, I would not be surprised to see both Slovakia and Germany make the quarter finals.

Boston getting eliminated would be huge for Slovakia. With the additions of Chara, Halak and Cehlarik this team could contend for a bronze medal. Hopefully Charlotte finds themselves in a quick exit too.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad