WC: Team Slovakia

Ivo

Dec 29, 2008
Rotterdam, NL
Could be the best roster we've had in years. The center position seems like the biggest weakness as it has historically been. Still, hoping for a quarterfinals and than it's just one game, anything can happen.

lostinwarsaw

A Slovak living in Belgium
Feb 26, 2019
Warsaw, Poland
I am extremely skeptical about us even making the quarterfinals. I have a hard time seeing us beat Finland, Canada and USA. And I think we end up struggling against Germany and Denmark. France can be a wildcard as well. I think it comes down to goalscoring. Tatar needs a big tournament

Retroglyphs

Mar 23, 2018
Great news. And now Cernak is just one game away from elimination, would be a huge addition.

Yeah, adding Cernak would be really great for the Slovaks. Crossing all fingers for a fast elimination of Tampa.
Same goes for Boston btw., as Chara needs to join the team as well, while the Czechs need to inject Krejci & Pastrnak to their first line again.

Reactions: Pomee

Retroglyphs

Mar 23, 2018
Why? Quarter finals is realistic, so it makes sense to aim for the next level. Especially on home ice. They've beaten the bigger nations several times with weak rosters. They fell in OT against both the Czechs and Swedes last year. And that roster was the weakest Slovakia has ever had. With a stronger team this year, there's no reason why they couldn't be capable of an upset in just one elimination game.

Yes, that's correct. I watched both games, and the Slovaks played over long stretches really well vs. the Swedes and Czechs. Keep in mind, they had the Czechs on the ropes in that awesome encounter with outstanding fan support early on in the tournament.

If the Slovaks get their group of very decent defenders around Sekera, Jaros, Fehervary, Czajkovsky, Daloga together, and add Cernak+Chara, plus a good goalie like Halak, plus their offensive stars Tatar, Panik, Jurco and Cehlarik, they'll totally be able to beat teams like Finland, Canada and the US on home ice. Looking back at how they've played in 2018 and who they are able to add now, I'm optimistic they will make the QFs. :thumbu:

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Yes, that's correct. I watched both games, and the Slovaks played over long stretches really well vs. the Swedes and Czechs. Keep in mind, they had the Czechs on the ropes in that awesome encounter with outstanding fan support early on in the tournament.

If the Slovaks get their group of very decent defenders around Sekera, Jaros, Fehervary, Czajkovsky, Daloga together, and add Cernak+Chara, plus a good goalie like Halak, plus their offensive stars Tatar, Panik, Jurco and Cehlarik, they'll totally be able to beat teams like Finland, Canada and the US on home ice. Looking back at how they've played in 2018 and who they are able to add now, I'm optimistic they will make the QFs. :thumbu:

Yeah, and I forgot to mention Slovakia was the only team that was able to steal a point from Sweden (stacked with quality NHL players) during the group stage. Boston getting eliminated would be huge, but even without Chara, a defense with Cernak, Sekera, Jaros and Marincin will be a pretty good one by WC standards. Add Fehervary into the mix, who might very well make his NHL debute next season, and Cajkovsky, who earned a NHL contract on a PTO with the Canes prior this season. The forward group remains the big issue, especially the center position. The key game should be against Germany, though I wouldn't be surprised to see both Slovakia and Germany make the quarter finals out of group A.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Highlights from those two games. They were just 10 seconds away from beating the Czech's.

Rusty7550

Aug 11, 2018
The centre position in an absolute nightmare, Viedensky, Reway and Hrivik are injured
Reway is done. So many problems, illnesses, injuries .... Kristof and Hudacek ... Our two Top 6 centers ... Viedensky would be great fit for 3rd/4th line but hes always injured

stastny12

Dec 26, 2018
Trencin, Slovakia
why daloga? not good in shl.
Yep, thats true. Although, he is totally different player for NT. Always solid, at least.

But, I still could not see him in final roster. If Chara and Cernak come Daloga will be probably 8th or 9th option(depends on situation with Marincin, Fehervary and Gernat).

I think defence will look like this:
Chara-Jaros
Cernak-Sekera
Ceresnak-Cajkovsky
Fehervary-Daloga/Gernat

Maybe one of the best defence in WC?

tobu

Jan 10, 2013
Bratislava, Slovakia
Curious - why has Réway only played 30 games since 2016? What caused this disjuncture? Concussion?
He's had some unspecified health issue where the doctors told him that he must seize any serious physical activity for a longer stretch of time. Then when he apparently got better, he was totally out of form physically and never seemed to get back in it. He often got tired to fast etc. He's still trying to restart his career, but seems to be really struggling at any level. Such a pity.

Retroglyphs

Mar 23, 2018
He's had some unspecified health issue where the doctors told him that he must seize any serious physical activity for a longer stretch of time. Then when he apparently got better, he was totally out of form physically and never seemed to get back in it. He often got tired to fast etc. He's still trying to restart his career, but seems to be really struggling at any level. Such a pity.

thx, dude. ;)

tobu

Jan 10, 2013
Bratislava, Slovakia
Samuel Bucek Extraliga's Playoff MVP despite loosing in the finals. I think he'll be a lock on the national team and am very curious if he'll get NHL camp invites, I think he has what it takes to get an NHL contract eventually.

Jabs102501

May 16, 2018
I'm not really too sure what to make of these lineups, as I don't know many of the players playing in Europe. Is the team supposed to be stronger than usual this year or not?

tobu

Jan 10, 2013
Bratislava, Slovakia
I'm not really too sure what to make of these lineups, as I don't know many of the players playing in Europe. Is the team supposed to be stronger than usual this year or not?
On paper, this will likely be the strongest team we've iced since our last medal in 2012. Not making the quarterfinals with this team and/or beating at least one of the top6 teams would be a disappointment to say the least.

tobu

Jan 10, 2013
Bratislava, Slovakia
For those who aren't sure who Bucek is, he scored this goal vs USA in Juniors year and a half ago

He went undrafted in NHL and decided to play the top pro league in Slovakia, completely dominating, being the 2nd best goal scorer of the season and the best scorer and MVP of the playoffs. Apparently scouts noticed and were watching him all season, he will likely get camp invites over the summer - rumors are that the Flyers are the most interested.

Retroglyphs

Mar 23, 2018
For those who aren't sure who Bucek is, he scored this goal vs USA in Juniors year and a half ago

He went undrafted in NHL and decided to play the top pro league in Slovakia, completely dominating, being the 2nd best goal scorer of the season and the best scorer and MVP of the playoffs. Apparently scouts noticed and were watching him all season, he will likely get camp invites over the summer - rumors are that the Flyers are the most interested.

wow, gorgeous play! :eek:

tobu

Jan 10, 2013
Bratislava, Slovakia
I would be Surprised if Cernak is sent to Ahl and not to the championship. He is NHL ready and doesn't need to fight in the lower league. So I hope he is coming. But man, that sweep by Columbus is unexpected.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad