WC: Team CZE - 2019

Voodoozz

Czechmate
Feb 22, 2016
Pilsen
www.youtube.com
Chaotic hockey to say the least, lot of dump and chase, pucks bouncing all over the place... not a good game indeed. Defense looks bad as it is usual this season - i think there shouldn't be any room for the clumsy dinosaurs like Jordán or Polášek, this is 2019 hockey. Jerabek looked decent, european rink plays into his strenghts.

I was happy to see Chytil score, he should have a secure spot on the roster. As for the other forwards Tomášek, Řepík, Kubalík were the only one who were creating something offensively. Sekáč is a dissapointment - the only thing he does is that he skates the puck into the O zone and looses it, the 23 goal KHL scorer is nowhere to be seen.... We'll see what the insertion of the NHL guys + Kovář&Gulaš will do.

And we desperately need Hronek. And an actual goaltender.

Last edited:

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Vrana is not coming, played with injury.
Might explain his final week of season and all of playoffs.

In either case, he is a big part of our future. A very modern and fast player who can score who already has a Cup.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Chaotic hockey to say the least, lot of dump and chase, pucks bouncing all over the place... not a good game indeed. Defense looks bad as it is usual this season - i think there shouldn't be any room for the clumsy dinosaurs like Jordán or Polášek, this is 2019 hockey. Jerabek looked decent, european rink plays into his strenghts.

I was happy to see Chytil score, he should have a secure spot on the roster. As for the other forwards Tomášek, Řepík, Kubalík were the only one who were creating something offensively. Sekáč is a dissapointment - the only thing he does is that he skates the puck into the O zone and looses it, the 23 goal KHL scorer is nowhere to be seen.... We'll see what the insertion of the NHL guys + Kovář&Gulaš will do.

And we desperately need Hronek. And an actual goaltender.

It's hard because I literally like all the Czech players. My biggest issue is Hadamczak (who I want retired permanently) and the Federation in general. I love Michal Jordan but you're right, he doesn't have much offence.

Sekac reminds me of Jan Kovar. I keep seeing big stats in KHL but I rarely see him carrying a game... even againgst the weaker opponents.

Voodoozz

Czechmate
Feb 22, 2016
Pilsen
www.youtube.com
It's hard because I literally like all the Czech players. My biggest issue is Hadamczak (who I want retired permanently) and the Federation in general. I love Michal Jordan but you're right, he doesn't have much offence.
Sekac reminds me of Jan Kovar. I keep seeing big stats in KHL but I rarely see him carrying a game... even againgst the weaker opponents.

Had is a national treasure :help:... seriously, how this guy ended up coaching the Czech NT for more then 7 years is beyond me. Probably not a bad person but a guy with very little respect amongst the players. Funnily enough, i agree with what he says about the U-18 Hadamczik: Někteří hráči neumějí pod tlakem kontrolovat svou osobnost - iDNES.cz ... No excuses (despite the shocking headline), rational evaluation of the tournament, no false positivity (see Varaďa, Jandač..)

I disagree about Sekac-Kovar comparison though, Sekac can skate really well, he's fast, has decent hands. The problem is he doesn't create anything offensively, i don't remember him getting into a single scoring chance, he just skates around and keeps loosing pucks like a 4th liner. Kovar isn't the greatest skater, is a little clumsy but he actually produces offense - one of the most creative centers we have IMO. Imagine Krejci minus the skating.. :laugh:And i reckon he actually scored some important goals too (e.g. 2015 QF )

I hope Sekac can turn this around, he has the ability to be a contributing player, i just think it's in his head a little bit. I could imagine him on the 4th line getting his confidence back.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Had is a national treasure :help:... seriously, how this guy ended up coaching the Czech NT for more then 7 years is beyond me. Probably not a bad person but a guy with very little respect amongst the players. Funnily enough, i agree with what he says about the U-18 Hadamczik: Někteří hráči neumějí pod tlakem kontrolovat svou osobnost - iDNES.cz ... No excuses (despite the shocking headline), rational evaluation of the tournament, no false positivity (see Varaďa, Jandač..)

I disagree about Sekac-Kovar comparison though, Sekac can skate really well, he's fast, has decent hands. The problem is he doesn't create anything offensively, i don't remember him getting into a single scoring chance, he just skates around and keeps loosing pucks like a 4th liner. Kovar isn't the greatest skater, is a little clumsy but he actually produces offense - one of the most creative centers we have IMO. Imagine Krejci minus the skating.. :laugh:And i reckon he actually scored some important goals too (e.g. 2015 QF )

I hope Sekac can turn this around, he has the ability to be a contributing player, i just think it's in his head a little bit. I could imagine him on the 4th line getting his confidence back.

It was a good interview but he seemed to blame the lack of discipline which was definitely a problem. But I'd say not bringing Pytlik was a massive massive mistake. That is his trademark.. leave behind strong players for 'team cohesion'. I know I keep giving the Edmonton Oiler's analoyg but that is what they do too... they trade the skill guys (Hall and Eberle for Strome and Larsson) while talking about 'grit' and 'character'.

He did touch on the other big problem which is our D is not even close to a modern D. I didn't see much from Has or Kubicek personally to think they'll be in the NHL. On Facebook today they posted a 'where are they now' showing the 2014 Gold Medal team and not one of the goalies have played an NHL game (Vladar and Vanecek are close). The only D to see the NHL was Zboril (for 2 games), the Masin (doing well in AHL but no offence but I do want him on national team) and Pyrochta is in the AHL (I would say not even close to making Nashville next season).

So, 5 years later, our D has played 2 NHL games combined. How long till some of the Swedes from yesterdays U18 game are in the NHL. Our D hasn't cracked the KHL either.

Our forwards have had morderate success which is great.. still holding out hope for David Kase and Michal Spacek (like Wooren mentioned).

Here is the list

Kde hráli naši borci tenkrát a kde letos, o 5 let později?
Brankáři:
Vítek Vaněček: Bílí Tygři Liberec U20 -> Hershey Bears (AHL)
Daniel Vladař: Rytíři Kladno U20 -> Providence Bruins (AHL)
Karel Vejmelka: HC Pardubice U20 -> Kometa Brno
Obránci:
Ondřej Mikliš: Sparta Praha U20 -> Jestřábi Prostějov
Jan Ščotka: VHK Vsetín U20 -> HC Litvínov
Jakub Zbořil: HC Kometa Brno U20 -> Providence Bruins (AHL)
Alex Rašner: HC Olomouc U20 -> Jestřábi Prostějov / AZ Havířov
Filip Pyrochta: HC Benátky nad Jizerou -> Milwaukee Admirals (AHL)
Dominik Mašín: HC Slavia Praha U20 -> Syracuse Crunch (AHL)
Tomáš Havlín: Bílí Tygři Liberec U20 -> Bílí Tygři Liberec
Pavel Pýcha: Red Bull Salzburg U20 -> Motor České Budějovice
Útočníci:
Milan Švarc: HC Plzeň 1929 U18 -> HC Klatovy
Lukáš Vopelka: Örebro HK J20 -> MHK Hradec Králové
David Kaše: Piráti Chomutov U20 -> Lehigh Valley Phantoms (AHL)
David Pastrňák: Södertälje SK -> Boston Bruins
Václav Karabáček: Gatineau Olympiques (QMJHL) -> Motor České Budějovice
Jakub Vrána: Linköping HC -> Washington Capitals
Pavel Zacha: Bílí Tygři Liberec U20 -> New Jersey Devils
Filip Kuťák: HC Vítkovice U20 -> HC Frýdek-Místek
Jan Ordoš: Bílí Tygři Liberec U20 -> Bílí Tygři Liberec
Michael Špaček: HC Pardubice U20 -> Manitoba Moose (AHL)
Radek Veselý: Piráti Chmoutov U20 -> AZ Havířov
Jiří Černoch: HC Sparta Praha U20 -> Sparta Praha
Filip Chlapík: HC Sparta Praha U20 -> Ottawa Senators
Jiří Smejkal: Motor České Budějovice U20 -> Sparta Praha
Tomáš Andres: HC Slavia Praha U20 -> Lyon HC

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018

Since that one answer was so long...

I love Kovar and Sekac. I really like my Czech players. It's amazing that Sekac had the more successful NHL career over Kovar. Someone earlier said Frk was an AHLer and not worthy... well, he's outscoring both of them at the AHL and NHL level and is younger. Sekac had 29 points in his NHL career. Frk is a year younger, has played 30 less games and has 31 points. Kovar got zero NHL games despite being assigned to 2 AHL teams. He got 10 points in 12 games. Frk was over a .ppg in the AHL this season (including in the playoffs).

I'm not saying Frk is going to the hall of fame ... but that when you compare these guys in the same league he does better than them and is younger. He was also a much higher draft pick. Yet, when a guy goes to the AHL they get ignored by Czech hockey. Frk was a big player for our World Junior Teams.

Again, not about Frk specifically but about the Czech federation in general and their very outdated menalities.

Retroglyphs

Mar 23, 2018
Would be great for the Czechs to be able to add Dimitrij Jaskin to the team, as he played so well last year, but unfortunately he needs a new NHL contract.

Maluk11

Feb 27, 2016
Would be great for the Czechs to be able to add Dimitrij Jaskin to the team, as he played so well last year, but unfortunately he needs a new NHL contract.
He was without contract last year, so that shouldn't be problem. But I don't think they have interest in him. They already said the core will be from European players and from NHL they want only the best, not everyone who plays there.

Retroglyphs

Mar 23, 2018
He was without contract last year, so that shouldn't be problem. But I don't think they have interest in him. They already said the core will be from European players and from NHL they want only the best, not everyone who plays there.

Congratulations on that ultra short-term memory - Jaskin had 4G and 3 A in 8 matches last year, and played really well on that 1st line with Krejci & Pastrnak. He's an underrated player.

Maluk11

Feb 27, 2016
2-0 in 1st period vs Slovakia. We are dominant so far. I really like Tomášek, he's played well in these games so far, I hope he will make it at WHC.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018

Classic example of a borderline NHL/AHL player who was really good for us.. young and good. He's been a healthy scratch for every Washington game and was available in the waiver draft at start of year for free. His NHL career might very well be over unfortunately and he looked really good for us at the Worlds last year.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
You're right and that is such a big problem.. the Russians, American, Swedes and Canadians are 90 to 100% nhl players and we're going to leave NHL players behind and play guys from extraliga. Then, when the 3 or 4 NHL guys get killed by an all NHL team (playing with 2 non NHL players on their line) we'll point out they are no better than the European players.lol

This Euro's over players in North American mentality needs to go away.. it has not worked. The other Top 5 nations are not doing it. If a marginal NHL player like Jaskin was in the Extraliga this year he would've been an All Star.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Definitely a better season than one of Moravcik/Sklenica (I can't remember which one went to the ECHL and returned home). He'll be fighting for a spot in the NHL on a very strong team next season so that would put him ahead of Jerabek who is also returning home.

Moravcik was in the ECHL and then went home, Sklenicka played all year in Laval and was solid, really like his physical and defensive game as a bottom pairing type.

Reactions: Czechboy

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Here is my 'All Marginal North American team' based on this year... not using Full Time or successful NHL players or guys with big contracts or who might not be in NHL next season

Goalies (pick the best 3): Vanecek, Vladar, Mazanec, Neuvirth, Korenar and Francouz
Defence (pick the best 7): Jerabek, Moravcik, Sklenica, Hronek, Sulak, Masin, Zboril, Rutta, Sustr, Hajek, Pyrochta and Simek
Forwards: Spacek, Jasek, Necas, Zadina, Kaut, Hyka, Jaskin, Radil, David Kase, Frk, Chlapik, Sedlak

I can't think of a 13th forward so I will promote Jakub Zboril as my 13th forward.

For the sake of the argument, I'll give Kovar (who started in North America this year and went from NHL to AHL to a different AHL team before returning) to Team Europe.

Are we sure an All Euro Czech team of Extraliga, KHL and other leagues in Europe would beat this team?

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Moravcik was in the ECHL and then went home, Sklenicka played all year in Laval and was solid, really like his physical and defensive game as a bottom pairing type.
Does he stand a chance at cracking Montreal next season? Do you think the Russian kid makes the team next season? Romonov?

Mirinho

Jan 23, 2007
Here is my 'All Marginal North American team' based on this year... not using Full Time or successful NHL players or guys with big contracts or who might not be in NHL next season

Goalies (pick the best 3): Vanecek, Vladar, Mazanec, Neuvirth, Korenar and Francouz
Defence (pick the best 7): Jerabek, Moravcik, Sklenica, Hronek, Sulak, Masin, Zboril, Rutta, Sustr, Hajek, Pyrochta and Simek
Forwards: Spacek, Jasek, Necas, Zadina, Kaut, Hyka, Jaskin, Radil, David Kase, Frk, Chlapik, Sedlak

I can't think of a 13th forward so I will promote Jakub Zboril as my 13th forward.

For the sake of the argument, I'll give Kovar (who started in North America this year and went from NHL to AHL to a different AHL team before returning) to Team Europe.

Are we sure an All Euro Czech team of Extraliga, KHL and other leagues in Europe would beat this team?

You should be GM of national team :thumbu:
I like this team very much :thumbu: that defense is by far the best since Zidlicky and T. Kaberle time :nod:

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
You should be GM of national team :thumbu:
I like this team very much :thumbu: that defense is by far the best since Zidlicky and T. Kaberle times :nod:
Much like my beloved Oilers'... I'd be kicked out of interview because I don't agree with the management side of things (which, as I age, I feel is so important). I think both organizations just hire guys that agree with them which is why we keep saying the same old guys cycled over and over and we never hear about major changes at the upper management level.

I do think it'd be a great time for a new wave of management types to takeover.. the cupboards are restocking a bit! Bronze generation!

Just this season I saw Pytlik left off U18, Varada make some really bad choices at U20 and we'll see who gets left out of World's but I guarantee it'll puzzle me.lol

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Plekanec has declined. I totally respect that.
Nosek did not clear the physicals. Shame.

The more shocking news... Jordan and Polasek have been cut! I agree with above that they're not modern 'beks' but Jordan always shows up and works so hard. I feel bad for him. It's kind of like when they always cut Kaspar or Rucizka. Those cuts might gave an indication of what kind of D Riha is looking for as he seems to be trying to cut away from 'defensive defenceman' which the rest of the world did about a decade ago.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Also, Charlotte moved on over Providence... so Necas is not available as of now. Jakub Zboril is though!

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Does he stand a chance at cracking Montreal next season? Do you think the Russian kid makes the team next season? Romonov?

unlikely unless they have a lot of injuries. Romanov if they were to sign him and bring him over if CSKA would grant his release but no word if that will happen. If he's here then I do think he could make the team.

czechmate

Jan 1, 2016
I just hope our coaching puts together a solid team for the upcoming WC and gives younger prospects a chance too (Hronek, Sulak, Necas). This should be feasible with the increasing talents we've been developing throughout the last years. I agree with you Czechboy, we won't win anything with a purely Euro core team. We've tried this experiment for some time now and it didn't really work out.

Please let there not be a freak show with a Extraliga dinosaur defense, or else I'm going to have a mental breakdown :/

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad