WC: Team Canada Roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
Great add. Feeling more confident. How many more spots are open for skaters now? (Not that Canada ever fills them up, frankly). Can't imagine them adding more than one more player.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
How was Barzal and Beauvillier looked in the tournament?

Barzal looks very dynamic, lots of points and had a goal taken away by a rather stupid crease violation call. Only potential issue is overhandling the puck (bringing back WJC memories) but he's only done that against teams that couldn't hurt Canada anyway. Beauvillier has been a little bit of a disappointment to me thus far. Everything looks too rushed. He has the talent to make better on his chances going forward.

Nice, I'm surprised that Canada asked but I'm not surprised that Vlasic accepted. No Canadian player has been as vocal about international hockey in recent years. Vlasic should really shore up the left side and provide good support for Canada's bombers on the right side. I'm curious to see who gets bumped for him... hopefully not Chabot but that is my guess right now. I'd lean toward Nurse for now.

Great add. Feeling more confident. How many more spots are open for skaters now? (Not that Canada ever fills them up, frankly). Can't imagine them adding more than one more player.

I believe that Canada could add one more skater and one more goaltender.

PecnoTrunk

Dec 20, 2014
Looks like the Bear has been foraging.

If McElhinney does decently against Finland then there is little reason to complain. He's far from the best goaltender Canada has but it looks like he'll have a decent defensive group in front of him.
Our goalie situation is horrible

That's what happens when we don't have the same depth as other nations for this situation

Let's hope we outscore the opposition and that we never have to go into a shootout because we will not
Come out the winners

This shootout has caused Canada massive losses and immsurprised hockey Canada hasn't addressed this goalie situation in their development

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

That's what happens when we don't have the same depth as other nations for this situation

Let's hope we outscore the opposition and that we never have to go into a shootout because we will not
Come out the winners

This shootout has caused Canada massive losses and immsurprised hockey Canada hasn't addressed this goalie situation in their development

Canada can and should improve its development of goaltenders, but each of the 17 Canadian goaltenders who played the most games in the NHL this year aren't here due to a mixture of primarily refusals or playoffs. The depth is there to have better than Kuemper and McElhinney, but no one showed up this year.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018

Come out the winners

Recently at all levels its seems like Canada can't buy a win in a shootout.

2011 WJC - Lost in shootout to Sweden, 5-4
2012 WC - Lost in shootout to US, 5-4
2013 WC - Lost in shootout to Switzerland, 3-2
2014 WJC - Lost in shootout to Czech Republic, 5-4
2014 WC - Lost in shootout to France, 3-2
2014 WC - Lost in QF shootout to Sweden, 3-2
2017 WJC - Lost in GMG shootout to US, 5-4
2017 WC - Lost in GMG shootout to Sweden, 2-1

Bad luck or indicative of a larger issue? its absurd how poorly Canada has faired in shootouts at both the junior and senior levels since the beginning of this current decade.

Last edited:

Planet Hockey

Apr 22, 2016
Interesting McElhinney better goalie then Koshechkin(#1 russian goalie in iihf17 )? What do you think?

During the Olympics the NBC guys in America totally trashed him. He would shut out 2 teams in a row and they wouldn't say anything, then he'd give up one goal & they'd say how weak and awful he is. Of course they work for the network that blames Russia for causing the last election result, and they're NHL guys who resent anyone from another league being compared to them.

This week a Canadian announcer said Koshechkin was "unbeatable" at the Olympics so that gave a little perspective.

I think the truth is between the 2 extremes. He is certainly good on the big ice against wide shots and first rebounds. I think he struggles against less-sophisticated offenses like Germany who just attack the middle with numbers. That's what Canada does, except they're great shooters, so we'll see.

As for Canada's goalies, you gotta respect anyone who makes the NHL or the KHL for that matter but that doesn't mean they will outplay anybody. USA game didn't provide much confidence.

PecnoTrunk

Dec 20, 2014
Recently at all levels its seems like Canada can't buy a win in a shootout.

2011 WJC - Lost in shootout to Sweden, 5-4
2012 WC - Lost in shootout to US, 5-4
2013 WC - Lost in shootout to Switzerland, 3-2
2014 WJC - Lost in shootout to Czech Republic, 5-4
2014 WC - Lost in shootout to France, 3-2
2014 WC - Lost in QF shootout to Sweden, 3-2
2017 WJC - Lost in GMG shootout to US, 5-4
2017 WC - Lost in GMG shootout to Sweden, 2-1

Bad luck or indicative of a larger issue? its absurd how poorly Canada has faired in shootouts at both the junior and senior levels since the beginning of this current decade.
Well done

This is an indication of a major problem

We really have Price and even him is starting to slow down due to injuries (I'm a Montreal fan)

Forget murry from Pittsburgh, he wet the bed this year

Holtby, I'm not confident with him

Jones ?

The only prospect I have any hope for is Hart , I don't see anyone else, I don't see other prospects. We should have a handfull of prospects but I count 2

Murrey and hart

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Well done

This is an indication of a major problem

We really have Price and even him is starting to slow down due to injuries (I'm a Montreal fan)

Forget murry from Pittsburgh, he wet the bed this year

Holtby, I'm not confident with him

Jones ?

The only prospect I have any hope for is Hart , I don't see anyone else, I don't see other prospects. We should have a handfull of prospects but I count 2

Murrey and hart

Yeah in terms of Canada's best young goalie right now its definitely Matt Murray, he's basically like our version of Russia's Vasilevskiy at this point.

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
I doubt Crosby will be coming over to play if the Penguins get eliminated. Even though Crosby Mcdavid down the middle would be pretty sweet.
Yep, it would be nice to have Crosby play for Team Canada. He'd be a great Alternate Captain running the second line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad