WC: Team Canada Roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
The good thing for Canada is that this past game may prove to be a valuable lesson for the skaters. Don't take needless penalties and don't stand around hoping for McDavid to do something. The goaltending problem isn't going to get fixed though, so the team will need to generate a lot more than one goal in each remaining game. It was good that Peters started mixing the lines up, though I'm not sure that there is a way to get each line going. Not a whole lot of offence drivers on the team. Chabot should also return to the lineup next game in place of one of several defencemen (Pulock, Nurse, Edmundson). It looks like Canada will likely play Sweden or Russia in the quarterfinals, so that should be interesting.

paragon

May 5, 2010
Roy still gets flack sometimes for skipping the Olympics in 2002, though having Brodeur/Joseph/Belfour/Burke/Theodore as options helps mitigate that. I am still annoyed at Bourque's various Canada/World Cup refusals though. Especially the 1996 World Cup.
The finnish wikipedia article about Miikka Kiprusoff mentions the word "refused" 5 times and lists every tournament he declined to play for (WC 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012 and Olympics in 2006 and 2014). I think Finland would have won gold with Kiprusoff in 2006, but it is what it is.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
The good thing for Canada is that this past game may prove to be a valuable lesson for the skaters. Don't take needless penalties and don't stand around hoping for McDavid to do something. The goaltending problem isn't going to get fixed though, so the team will need to generate a lot more than one goal in each remaining game. It was good that Peters started mixing the lines up, though I'm not sure that there is a way to get each line going. Not a whole lot of offence drivers on the team. Chabot should also return to the lineup next game in place of one of several defencemen (Pulock, Nurse, Edmundson). It looks like Canada will likely play Sweden or Russia in the quarterfinals, so that should be interesting.
You really think Edmundson should come out of the lineup for Chabot? The Edmundson - Parayko pairing was excellent, one of the few bright spots against the Finns. Would be a very bad idea to mess with that pairing IMO.

Some day soon, folks are going to start realizing that Joel Edmundson is a very good defenseman...

Reactions: Bobby G and Pouliot

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
I am those Finns who learnt that "one shouldn't ever underestimate Team Canada", like in any circumstances or in any aspects of the game.

So, it's mind boggling to me how it's possible Team Canada cannot get elite goalie to the tournament. Makes no sense at all. Tournament is relatively well saturated with NHL-players, but nobody did ask Scott Foster to come back up backups, and good old Canadian goalies are not interested to represent their proud hockey country.

Soon it'll be so that rising hockey countries don't take Canada too seriously as it looks like Canada doesn't take itself seriously. Maybe there was long never ending decades when it was possible to send what ever beer league team to the Worlds and expect win, but it isn't so anymore...

Shouldn't be player pool issue. Shouldn't be player availability issue. Shouldn't be attitude issue.

(This comment doesn't include any malicious f***ery. Genuinely surprised.)

WadeRedden

Feb 24, 2016
You really think Edmundson should come out of the lineup for Chabot? The Edmundson - Parayko pairing was excellent, one of the few bright spots against the Finns. Would be a very bad idea to mess with that pairing IMO.

Some day soon, folks are going to start realizing that Joel Edmundson is a very good defenseman...

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not. He's been one of our worst D Men thus far, and his reckless penalties will cement him as our worst by the end of the tournament.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

Yes, I would. Edmundson wouldn't be my first pick to replace with Chabot but I would absolutely like to see it. Edmundson was perfectly fine against the weak teams but struggled against Finland. Canada already has enough size on the back end but could use better skating and Chabot brings that in addition to a far better international pedigree. I'm also interested in getting Chabot more reps internationally for future editions of team Canada.

Regarding the Turris addition... it does seem kind of odd. He just had a very mediocre playoff run with Nashville, though he is a decent centre. Canada could use another centre to push Schenn to the wing (if they are intent on keeping O'Reilly as a winger) so at least he helps there. I'm pessimistic, but in the best case scenario he plays like Brassard did in 2016. I thought that Brassard was quite a pretty useless addition and he ended up being Canada's best overall centre that year. I guess that Jost or Dubois will be bumped.

WadeRedden

Feb 24, 2016
Maybe in next year Hockey Canada bring better roster?

Canada's roster is fine. Maybe their best since 2015. Their goaltending is sinking them. Darcy was awful against the USA and both goaltenders just weren't good enough against the Finns.

WadeRedden

Feb 24, 2016
...I'm pessimistic, but in the best case scenario he plays like Brassard did in 2016. I thought that Brassard was quite a pretty useless addition and he ended up being Canada's best overall centre that year...

Agreed. The 2016 Worlds were the first time I said, "Holy shit, this Brassard guy is actually one hell of a player."

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Yes, I would. Edmundson wouldn't be my first pick to replace with Chabot but I would absolutely like to see it. Edmundson was perfectly fine against the weak teams but struggled against Finland. Canada already has enough size on the back end but could use better skating and Chabot brings that in addition to a far better international pedigree. I'm also interested in getting Chabot more reps internationally for future editions of team Canada.

Regarding the Turris addition... it does seem kind of odd. He just had a very mediocre playoff run with Nashville, though he is a decent centre. Canada could use another centre to push Schenn to the wing (if they are intent on keeping O'Reilly as a winger) so at least he helps there. I'm pessimistic, but in the best case scenario he plays like Brassard did in 2016. I thought that Brassard was quite a pretty useless addition and he ended up being Canada's best overall centre that year. I guess that Jost or Dubois will be bumped.
Think it would be Jost.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not. He's been one of our worst D Men thus far, and his reckless penalties will cement him as our worst by the end of the tournament.
Edmundson will take a bad penalty now and then, he definitely got lucky on the missed delay of game call. The interference penalty late against the Finns was bad, dumb play for sure. I didn't see the call against him earlier in the game so can't comment on that one.

I haven't seen all of their games thus far, but judging from what I have seen, don't think it's at all accurate to say he's been on of the worst dmen so far for team Canada. Edmundson is tied for the team lead w/ a +7, and third in scoring among dmen w/ 1G + 2A. Nurse, Pulock, and Ryan have all been worse IMO. Even Vlasic was worse against the Finns, tho I'm sure he will get better as he acclimates to the tournament.

Must've missed him struggle against the Finns, I did miss the 1st period. When did you think he struggled? The bad penalty and missed delay of game call?

I thought he made some good reads pinching in and keeping the play alive in the offensive zone. There were quite a few times he and Parayko did this leading to extended offensive zone pressure. Thought Edmundson was good on the PK and solid in the d-zone. He and Parayko moved the puck well..all in all I thought the Edmundson - Parayko pairing was by FAR Canada's best pairing against the Finns.

I can understand wanting to get a future team Canada player reps. But if you want to ice the best roster possible, Edmundson ought to play over Chabot.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Edmundson will take a bad penalty now and then, he definitely got lucky on the missed delay of game call. The interference penalty late against the Finns was bad, dumb play for sure. I didn't see the call against him earlier in the game so can't comment on that one.

I haven't seen all of their games thus far, but judging from what I have seen, don't think it's at all accurate to say he's been on of the worst dmen so far for team Canada. Edmundson is tied for the team lead w/ a +7, and third in scoring among dmen w/ 1G + 2A. Nurse, Pulock, and Ryan have all been worse IMO. Even Vlasic was worse against the Finns, tho I'm sure he will get better as he acclimates to the tournament.

Must've missed him struggle against the Finns, I did miss the 1st period. When did you think he struggled? The bad penalty and missed delay of game call?

I thought he made some good reads pinching in and keeping the play alive in the offensive zone. There were quite a few times he and Parayko did this leading to extended offensive zone pressure. Thought Edmundson was good on the PK and solid in the d-zone. He and Parayko moved the puck well..all in all I thought the Edmundson - Parayko pairing was by FAR Canada's best pairing against the Finns.

I can understand wanting to get a future team Canada player reps. But if you want to ice the best roster possible, Edmundson ought to play over Chabot.

Neither of Edmundson's penalties was necessary and he was lucky to not have received the third. Offered nothing going forward even though that's what Canada needed after the two goal deficit. He isn't some liability or anything but I'd much prefer Chabot for the reasons already stated.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
Umm this team needs goaltending, another forward does nothing at this point. Good on Turris for accepting though, if only Canadian goalies could have shown the same heart this year.

Yeah adding forwards isn't going to improve this team too much at this point. They need to add a legitimate starting goalie, the skaters we have can win gold, the goalies can't unless there is Sochi level defense.

Reactions: Hagstrom

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
I am those Finns who learnt that "one shouldn't ever underestimate Team Canada", like in any circumstances or in any aspects of the game.

So, it's mind boggling to me how it's possible Team Canada cannot get elite goalie to the tournament. Makes no sense at all. Tournament is relatively well saturated with NHL-players, but nobody did ask Scott Foster to come back up backups, and good old Canadian goalies are not interested to represent their proud hockey country.

Soon it'll be so that rising hockey countries don't take Canada too seriously as it looks like Canada doesn't take itself seriously. Maybe there was long never ending decades when it was possible to send what ever beer league team to the Worlds and expect win, but it isn't so anymore...

Shouldn't be player pool issue. Shouldn't be player availability issue. Shouldn't be attitude issue.

(This comment doesn't include any malicious f***ery. Genuinely surprised.)

Well we can’t force players to go. Still I agree with you. It is surprising that not a single starting goaltender accepted an invite.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Canada's roster is fine. Maybe their best since 2015. Their goaltending is sinking them. Darcy was awful against the USA and both goaltenders just weren't good enough against the Finns.
I think that the roster last year was much better than this one, Tyson Barrie going down did put a dent tho.

Weber's Better
Jul 7, 2008
I just want RNH off McDavid's wing. Dude is driving me crazy. They've been attached at the hip.

I think any of Barzal, Schenn, Jost, Dubois could provide more

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Feels like a typical Canadian WC team, they show off some skill plays but nothing that lasts long or results in anything. Goaltending has some terrible moments, falling in his own net, etc.

Still confident they get it together, a lot of skill, good coaching, just need to get serious and they can beat any team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad