WC: Team Canada Roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Still early, but I usually like to get this going shortly after the World Juniors wrap up. As I mentioned after last year's silver medal performance and a 3 year Gold Medal Game run, I'd like to see a new crew of players take over from those who have carried the burden over the last 3 years, O'Reilly, Duchene, Mackinnon etc. So, with a few exceptions the vast majority haven't suited up in a while or this is their 1st. kick at the can at the Men's tournament.

I'm making a few assumptions that teams such as St. Louis, Columbus and Pitt make early PO exits.
I'm not overly thrilled with having Drouin on the team, but on LW with Couts and Giroux, he may fit.

I've never been a fan of Getzlaf, and still pissed about his Helsinki performance in 2012, but who knows, he may want inclusion into the Triple Gold Club. *sarcasm.

I am hoping Schwartz is back from injury and fully recovered. love this player. And if Drouin doesn't pan out, move Jaden up and Dubois into his spot at LW next to Getzlaf. I'm looking for P.L. to have a very good 2nd. half to his rookie season.

Calgary players? Calgary players seem to have an aversion to World Championships, so we shall see. but it would be nice they were finally up to the invite.

Cary Price? That's an optimistic ask, but I'll be happy with Matt Murray as the #1.

J HUBERDEAU

C MCDAVID

J EBERLE

J DROUIN

S COUTURIER

C GIROUX

J SCHWARTZ

R GETZLAF

J ANDERSON

A HENRIQUE

S MONAHAN

J WILLIAMS
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

P.L. DUBOIS M BARZAL
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

M MATHESON

A PIETRANGELO

M GIORDANO

D HAMILTON

T.J. BRODIE

J SPURGEON

T CHABOT

[TBODY] [/TBODY]

C PRICE

M MURRAY

The Spengler Cup goalie. He was awesome
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Still early, but I usually like to get this going shortly after the World Juniors wrap up. As I mentioned after last year's silver medal performance and a 3 year Gold Medal Game run, I'd like to see a new crew of players take over from those who have carried the burden over the last 3 years, O'Reilly, Duchene, Mackinnon etc. So, with a few exceptions the vast majority haven't suited up in a while or this is their 1st. kick at the can at the Men's tournament.

I'm making a few assumptions that teams such as St. Louis, Columbus and Pitt make early PO exits.
I'm not overly thrilled with having Drouin on the team, but on LW with Couts and Giroux, he may fit.

I've never been a fan of Getzlaf, and still pissed about his Helsinki performance in 2012, but who knows, he may want inclusion into the Triple Gold Club. *sarcasm.

I am hoping Schwartz is back from injury and fully recovered. love this player. And if Drouin doesn't pan out, move Jaden up and Dubois into his spot at LW next to Getzlaf. I'm looking for P.L. to have a very good 2nd. half to his rookie season.

Calgary players? Calgary players seem to have an aversion to World Championships, so we shall see. but it would be nice they were finally up to the invite.

Cary Price? That's an optimistic ask, but I'll be happy with Matt Murray as the #1.

J HUBERDEAUC MCDAVIDJ EBERLE
J DROUINS COUTURIERC GIROUX
J SCHWARTZR GETZLAFJ ANDERSON
A HENRIQUES MONAHANJ WILLIAMS
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
P.L. DUBOIS M BARZAL
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
M MATHESON A PIETRANGELO
M GIORDANOD HAMILTON
T.J. BRODIEJ SPURGEON
T CHABOT
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
C PRICE
M MURRAY
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Stone is a pretty obvious omission

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Stone is a pretty obvious omission

Stone is an RFA. RFAs UFAs tend not to accept invites. If his contractual status changes, would love to have him on the team. He was a monster a few years back. for the same reason I didn't include Tavares or Bailey on the team. but my fingers are crossed both sign extensions before the season ends and they jet off to Denmark. That would be great.

Last edited:
Reactions: jj cale

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
It is of course extremely early. Three forwards that I would really like to see, from teams that look like they will miss the playoffs, are Huberdeau, Horvat and Drouin. Huberdeau has been very good this year and I would like to see what he can do in a prominent role. Drouin has had a bad year, but I believe in his ability and I would like to see what he could do against men internationally. Horvat is a very good young two way centre. Hopefully he comes back from injury soon. I would also like to see Brodie and Hamilton there among defencemen, but as noted the Calgary players seem to have an aversion to this tournament. Mantha would be a nice addition too.

If O'Reilly wants to come back again he is welcome, but he is one guy who shouldn't get any flack for refusing at any point again.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
It is of course extremely early. Three forwards that I would really like to see, from teams that look like they will miss the playoffs, are Huberdeau, Horvat and Drouin. Huberdeau has been very good this year and I would like to see what he can do in a prominent role. Drouin has had a bad year, but I believe in his ability and I would like to see what he could do against men internationally. Horvat is a very good young two way centre. Hopefully he comes back from injury soon. I would also like to see Brodie and Hamilton there among defencemen, but as noted the Calgary players seem to have an aversion to this tournament. Mantha would be a nice addition too.

If O'Reilly wants to come back again he is welcome, but he is one guy who shouldn't get any flack for refusing at any point again.

It is extremely early...but what tournament or roster is there to discuss, the Olympics? No thanks!
one ulterior motive for including Drouin would be an enticement for Mackinnon coming back to run and gun with his Halifax buddy. even though I'd prefer it if Mackinnon played POs, but if Avs get bounced early it would be a shame not to have him with the year he's having. but if he wants a full summer off, then he also shouldn't get any flack. re: Mantha. I would have included him, but he's another one of those pesky RFAs.

Last edited:

PecnoTrunk

Dec 20, 2014

J HUBERDEAUC MCDAVIDJ EBERLE
J DROUINS COUTURIERC GIROUX
J SCHWARTZR GETZLAFJ ANDERSON
A HENRIQUES MONAHANJ WILLIAMS
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
P.L. DUBOIS M BARZAL
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
M MATHESON A PIETRANGELO
M GIORDANOD HAMILTON
T.J. BRODIEJ SPURGEON
T CHABOT
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
C PRICE
M MURRAY
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

forget Price...he wont go

No Ekblad?

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
forget Price...he wont go

No Ekblad?

As far as R d-men go, of those who will be available or perhaps possibly available (fingers crossed for Pietrangelo) I selected the ones I'd like to see. There are a few more RD I'd take before selecting Ekblad. He had a good tournament in '15 on the Prague Powerhouse, but if I wanted to recreate the Prague Powerhouse I'd take Burns (SJ looks as though they'll make an early PO exit) before Ekblad. I'd take Parayko before Ekblad, but he played last year. I would like to see another powerhouse cut through the tournament like a hot knife through butter, but I'd like to see a different team do it. '15 was a magical team that was feeling the groove for 3 weeks. If we brought back a lot of those same players, I doubt they could be that good again.

And yes, I doubt Price will ever accept an invite to this tournament. but for now...it's just fantasy roster.

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Kevin Poulin. He plays for my hometown team (Medvescak) in EBEL league. We are happy to have him and when he signed we were actually suprised that he signed with us. He is just too good and too young to sign in EBEL, especially with financialy poor team such is Medvescak.

Reactions: uncleben85

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia

Yeah, he is a guy I am itching to see in this setting also.

The talent is there but he is having a down year,interested to see what he can bring at a senior level event,and I want him playing the wing the wing not centre.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Kevin Poulin. He plays for my hometown team (Medvescak) in EBEL league. We are happy to have him and when he signed we were actually suprised that he signed with us. He is just too good and too young to sign in EBEL, especially with financialy poor team such is Medvescak.

How strong is hockey interest in your hometown? is hockey gaining any traction in Croatia?

I know one thing,we would gladly accept another Joe Sakic ASAP.

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
How strong is hockey interest in your hometown? is hockey gaining any traction in Croatia?

I know one thing,we would gladly accept another Joe Sakic ASAP.

Not as strong as it was 4-5 years ago. Bad results in KHL, players signing just to find another richer contract which means leaving in mid of season, too much games in short time, like 7-8 home games in 16 days, all of that caused more and more empty seats.

Core of croatian hockey is in it's capital Zagreb, where are located three clubs (Medvescak, Mladost and Zagreb). Also there is club in Sisak (oldest one in Croatia, founded in 1930.) which finally got indoor rink. Opening ceremony will be held soon.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Not as strong as it was 4-5 years ago. Bad results in KHL, players signing just to find another richer contract which means leaving in mid of season, too much games in short time, like 7-8 home games in 16 days, all of that caused more and more empty seats.

Core of croatian hockey is in it's capital Zagreb, where are located three clubs (Medvescak, Mladost and Zagreb). Also there is club in Sisak (oldest one in Croatia, founded in 1930.) which finally got indoor rink. Opening ceremony will be held soon.
Ah, I see.

Well, its hard for hockey to get a hold of the general populace when Drazen Petrovic looks so good wearing out the bottom of nets.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
With a real possibility that Pens and Oilers miss the playoffs, I would love to see McDavid and Crosby play with each other.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
With a real possibility that Pens and Oilers miss the playoffs, I would love to see McDavid and Crosby play with each other.

That would be appointment TV viewing for sure, but I wouldn't hold my breath for Sid ever playing in this tournament again. but who knows, I said the same thing in '15 2 days before Sid made the call to Hockey Canada and asked if he could play on the Prague Powerhouse team. I'd love to see another one of those teams. It's fantasy roster mostly, so, yes, that would be something. but given the fact that Sid has had to deep playoff runs the past 2 seasons, my guess would be is that he would like a full summer off, if in fact the Pens miss out on POs.

Last edited:

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
If we go by teams currently not in a playoff spot,
Team Canada could potentially have McDavid, Price, Weber, Tavares, Toews, Keith, Doughty, Barzal, etc.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
If we go by teams currently not in a playoff spot,
Team Canada could potentially have McDavid, Price, Weber, Tavares, Toews, Keith, Doughty, Barzal, etc.

Tavares is a UFA....so unless he signs an extension soon, he won't be there. and it looks as though he's going to July 1.

McDavid, Price, Doughty and Barzal would be great. Doughty has a Jerome Iginla distain for this tournament though. as for the others (Towes/Keith) I'm hoping for younger players who are having better years. If comes down to Towes and Keith accepting invites, then fine; I'll take a hard pass on Weber for this tournament (performance/injury/age) I'll take Mete as the 8th. Dman if Makar can't make it. I'd like to see 1 of those 2 make the trip to get in some reps with the NT, and even a game or 2.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
If New York misses the playoffs then Barzal is definitely added to the group of players I want to see. Getting a top end defenceman would be the big thing for this team I imagine. Canada consistently fails to get top defencemen at this tournament.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
If New York misses the playoffs then Barzal is definitely added to the group of players I want to see. Getting a top end defenceman would be the big thing for this team I imagine. Canada consistently fails to get top defencemen at this tournament.

Ya, it would be nice to get a least 2 A-team players. Perhaps Muzzin can twist Drew's arm and convince him to give it a go. Doughty and Pietrangelo would be awesome, but I'll eat my Hockey Canada hat if Drew ever plays this tournament, but what the hell, let's just include him for lolz.

making the assumption that St. Louis/Columbus/Toronto are the 1st. rd. additions.

Also, if Price goes (unlikely) but if he does, getting another #1 goalie (Jake Allen) to go to play 1 game/sit on the bench is unlikely. Perhaps a James Reimer type would be the best we could dig up. but for now I'll stick with my Blues additions.

Coach Q.

J HUBERDEAU

C MCDAVID

T TOFFOLI

J SCHWARTZ

M BARZAL

J EBERLE

J DROUIN

R GETZLAF

J ANDERSON

R O’REILLY

J TOWES

B HORVAT
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

P.L. DUBOIS A BEAUVILLIER
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

J MUZZIN

D DOUGHTY

M RIELLY

A PIETRANGELO

M MATHESON

C PARAYKO

T CHABOT

C MAKAR
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

C PRICE

J ALLEN

The Spengler Cup goalie
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Ya, it would be nice to get a least 2 A-team players. Perhaps Muzzin can twist Drew's arm and convince him to give it a go. Doughty and Pietrangelo would be awesome, but I'll eat my Hockey Canada hat if Drew ever plays this tournament, but what the hell, let's just include him for lolz.

making the assumption that St. Louis/Columbus/Toronto are the 1st. rd. additions.

Also, if Price goes (unlikely) but if he does, getting another #1 goalie (Jake Allen) to go to play 1 game/sit on the bench is unlikely. Perhaps a James Reimer type would be the best we could dig up. but for now I'll stick with my Blues additions.

Coach Q.

J HUBERDEAUC MCDAVIDT TOFFOLI
J SCHWARTZM BARZALJ EBERLE
J DROUINR GETZLAFJ ANDERSON
R O’REILLYJ TOWESB HORVAT
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
P.L. DUBOIS A BEAUVILLIER
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
J MUZZIND DOUGHTY
M RIELLYA PIETRANGELO
M MATHESONC PARAYKO
T CHABOT C MAKAR
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
C PRICE
J ALLEN
The Spengler Cup goalie
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

It will be interesting to see the limits that O'Reilly can be pushed to. He only refused an invitation one time, and that was after Colorado's rough seven game round one loss in 2014. Please no Anderson, no need to see him play for Canada again. I'm assuming that teams that are ten points out of the playoffs will miss (Arizona, Vancouver, Edmonton, Buffalo, Ottawa, Florida, Montreal, Detroit). Among those teams there aren't a lot of ideal options, especially options with contracts that run beyond this year.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
It will be interesting to see the limits that O'Reilly can be pushed to. He only refused an invitation one time, and that was after Colorado's rough seven game round one loss in 2014. Please no Anderson, no need to see him play for Canada again. I'm assuming that teams that are ten points out of the playoffs will miss (Arizona, Vancouver, Edmonton, Buffalo, Ottawa, Florida, Montreal, Detroit). Among those teams there aren't a lot of ideal options, especially options with contracts that run beyond this year.

ROR is a gamer. My bet is he takes a pass this year.

as for Anderson, if Jenner gets his shot a redemption, then why not Anderson. He's been decent the past 2 seasons, so, give him some decent linemates and he's good enough for this tournament. and based on level of play, he has more of argument to be there than does Drouin.

but if somebody better wants to accept an invite, bye-bye Anderson.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
ROR is a gamer. My bet is he takes a pass this year.

as for Anderson, if Jenner gets his shot a redemption, then why not Anderson. He's been decent the past 2 seasons, so, give him some decent linemates and he's good enough for this tournament. and based on level of play, he has more of argument to be there than does Drouin.

but if somebody better wants to accept an invite, bye-bye Anderson.

Jenner somewhat proves the point. He was a non-factor in 2016 and I think was eventually relegated to thirteenth forward. Players who play that style almost exclusively almost never succeed in this tournament. Anderson would be the Jenner or Killorn of this team.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Jenner somewhat proves the point. He was a non-factor in 2016 and I think was eventually relegated to thirteenth forward. Players who play that style almost exclusively almost never succeed in this tournament. Anderson would be the Jenner or Killorn of this team.

Killhorn was disappointing, no doubt. but a lot of players who don't play a Boone Jenner style of game are not always effective either and disappoint. i.e. Jeff Skinner 50% of the time.

I wouldn't automatically discount Jenner getting another shot at it at some point (not this year), providing he has the performance and stats to back it up...pretty much the same treatment I gave to Skinner after his 2 non-factor performances in 2012 and '13. If there was anything disappointing in that 5 year stretch, other than Getzlaf hitting the Helsinki bar scene a little too hard, it was watching Skinner attempting pirouettes for those 2 consecutive and disappointing years.

Yet, once his game back on track the last few years he was on my roster wish list.

would I prefer Konecny back again this year? I'm 50/50 on him if available. up until recently he's been disappointing this year, but if plays the rest of the year like he has the past few weeks, then sure I'd give him Anderson's spot on RW.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad