Team Canada 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
1 WHC 11 years ago. He was busy for 3 years of the decade that followed, but instead of sucking it up once or twice for the cause, he preferred hanging out with his pals in London playin pingpong and drinkin beers.

And I'm not surprised his ability suddenly eroded. I predicted it when he was 25 and at the top of his game. He certainly falls way short of Crosby's off-season dedication to his craft. and that is the cause. I would cut him no slack or give him any preferential treatment based on what he did between the ages of 19-26. but that's just me. If we get an NHL season and he manages to perform something like the younger version of Doughty, then he should be considered. but lacking that... I prefer moving on from Doughty. perhaps he was part of the problem why L.A. was crap and not the other way around.

I would hope that you would consider beyond the age of 26, for instance when Doughty was a close second in Norris voting as a 28 year old. I'm still very content to take the pedigree of a defenceman who has consistently been excellent internationally over most of the right side options. This isn't the early 90s and Canada's right side options aren't Bourque, MacInnis, and Coffey with Murphy waiting in the seventh spot. It's Doughty vs good players but not all that many elite options. If the sample size grows and Doughty looks bad all the way into a 2022 tournament then yes he may not be selected. I'm unconvinced though that a guy whose offence is still sufficient and whose defensive play has been poor while his team has been a tire fire (while less than two years ago he was winning polls for best defensive defenceman in the NHL) is done.

Hopefully there will be plenty of games to assess players should a tournament take place. Had everything gone in an ideal manner then there would have ben a relevant Olympic tournament in 2018 to look at as well.

Reactions: jj cale

MaKarter

Big Game Bo
Jun 21, 2019
Fort Collins CO
Crosby- McDavid - MacKinnon
Barzal- Point - Marner
Marchant- O'Reilly- Bergeron
Stamkos- Tavares- Stone
Huberdeau- Couturier- Scheifele

Chabot - Pietrangelo
Theodore - Makar
Reilly - Parayko
Morrissey- Doughty

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Definately gonna have to move some centers to the wing to max out the talent on this roster

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I would hope that you would consider beyond the age of 26, for instance when Doughty was a close second in Norris voting as a 28 year old. I'm still very content to take the pedigree of a defenceman who has consistently been excellent internationally over most of the right side options. This isn't the early 90s and Canada's right side options aren't Bourque, MacInnis, and Coffey with Murphy waiting in the seventh spot. It's Doughty vs good players but not all that many elite options. If the sample size grows and Doughty looks bad all the way into a 2022 tournament then yes he may not be selected. I'm unconvinced though that a guy whose offence is still sufficient and whose defensive play has been poor while his team has been a tire fire (while less than two years ago he was winning polls for best defensive defenceman in the NHL) is done.

Hopefully there will be plenty of games to assess players should a tournament take place. Had everything gone in an ideal manner then there would have ben a relevant Olympic tournament in 2018 to look at as well.
I like what you said about him being a "winner" (my word) on the international stage - in a previous post.

I'd rather have Doughty sitting on the bench than Reilly or Hamilton playing.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Dubois - Mcdavid - Scheifele
Huberdeau - Mackinnon - Point
Marchand - Crosby - Bergeron
Couturier - O’Reilly - Stone
Stamkos/Marner

Pietrangelo - Makar
Chabot - Doughty
Theodore - Parayko
Rielly/Weber

Price
Hart
Binnington

That’s how I would do it.

Follow up to explain my reasoning:
I see people putting guys like Huberdeau, Marner etc. on Mcdavids wing but as an Oilers fan that watches him play every game I don’t think that would work. I give Connor two big and skilled guys (player types he historically has the most success with). Both Dubois and Scheifele can play a physical game on the boards to get the puck to Mcdavid, play off the puck and not have to handle it, and get to the net/fire shots off his beautiful passes. The 2nd line would be incredible with the firepower on that line, the 3rd line is proven to be outstanding, and the 4th line is clearly the designated shutdown line with a defense first mindset. On D, I know people aren’t gonna like that Doughty is in there but I still think he’s capable of playing at a high level and personally I don’t think there’s any chance Team Canada won’t at least give him a press box spot on the team. Doughty will be on the team. I’m not completely sold on Theodore yet so you can totally swap him out with Rielly and Weber can also easily come in for Parayko. Pietro played the left side pretty well in the 2016 World Cup and I think he’d make for an excellent top pairing with Makar. Price retains his starter status until he plays his way out of the spot, Hart backs up and Binnington is the 3rd string.

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Dubois - Mcdavid - Scheifele
Huberdeau - Mackinnon - Point
Couturier - O’Reilly - Stone
Stamkos/Marner

Pietrangelo - Makar
Chabot - Doughty
Theodore - Parayko
Rielly/Weber

Price
Hart
Binnington

That’s how I would do it.
I rikey. I rikey arot. :thumbu::thumbu::thumbu:

Last edited:
Reactions: 780il

Newusername

Jun 26, 2013
Mackinnon - Mcdavid - Barzal
Lafreniere - Point - Stamkos
Huberdeau - O’Reilly - Stone
Marner / Couturier

Theodore - Pietrangelo
Chabot - Parayko
Byram - Makar
Girard / Reilly

Hart
Price
Kuemper

Girard, Byram & Lafreniere are obviously huge long shots, but I imagine if girard / Byram show good chemistry with makar they will get a look. And if laf is as legit as they say, I could see team Canada getting him some international experience early.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Marner / Couturier

Theodore - Pietrangelo
Chabot - Parayko
Byram - Makar
Girard / Reilly

Hart
Price
Kuemper

Girard, Byram & Lafreniere are obviously huge long shots, but I imagine if girard / Byram show good chemistry with makar they will get a look. And if laf is as legit as they say, I could see team Canada getting him some international experience early.
I doubt Schief gets left off team.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
A lot of the forward lines write themselves...

Mc David
MacKinnon
Crosby
O'Reilly

down the middle

Marchand and Bergeron on Crosby's line.

Stone on the fourth line.

Marner and Stamkos as the 13 and 14 forward, although I would leave them home.

After that, it's just an exercise in matching speed, goal scoring and grit with the centers.

The D and goalies write themselves because the options are limited.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Sturgeon needs to be considered. Unlike a lot of the Dmen listed, he is excellent defensively, still good offensively, and can play a fast game.
I do understand that there is a lot of competition. Parayko has to be on there for reasons similar to Spurgeon...the ability to play shutdown D. Weber is tough to leave off, if he is healthy. Makar would be a lock because of his speed. Letang is no slouch, and Hamilton can be an offensive force, as can Burns. Again, though, who can play good D?

I have no idea why Morrissey is being mentioned.

Reactions: TheDoldrums

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
N
Sturgeon needs to be considered. Unlike a lot of the Dmen listed, he is excellent defensively, still good offensively, and can play a fast game.
I do understand that there is a lot of competition. Parayko has to be on there for reasons similar to Spurgeon...the ability to play shutdown D. Weber is tough to leave off, if he is healthy. Makar would be a lock because of his speed. Letang is no slouch, and Hamilton can be an offensive force, as can Burns. Again, though, who can play good D?

I have no idea why Morrissey is being mentioned.
Not a Letang fan. As I have mentioned many times, I would NEVER have Hamilton on the team.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
A lot of the forward lines write themselves...

Mc David
MacKinnon
Crosby
O'Reilly

down the middle

Marchand and Bergeron on Crosby's line.

Stone on the fourth line.

Marner and Stamkos as the 13 and 14 forward, although I would leave them home.

After that, it's just an exercise in matching speed, goal scoring and grit with the centers.

The D and goalies write themselves because the options are limited.

Holy Scots-Irish Canadians lol

Stacked down the middle.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Sportsnet replayed Game 1 (Canada vs Team Europe) from the 2016 World Cup.

In it Stamkos got his ONLY goal of the tournament after letting Getzlaf do ALL the work - Stamkos tipped one in at the side of the net. For the rest of the game, Stamkos was absolutely useless - as he is in all big games.

Keep Stamkos off ALL future Team Canada's.

Last edited:
Reactions: canuckster19

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020
Sloane Square, Chelsea, England
Per TSN, Doug Armstrong will likely be GM flanked by Francis and Holland. This is unfortunate, as I would have liked to have seen Sakic and Brisebois have some sort of involvement, as the teams they have built are fast, move the puck well, and have good balance, all factors for international success.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Marner / Couturier

Theodore - Pietrangelo
Chabot - Parayko
Byram - Makar
Girard / Reilly

Hart
Price
Kuemper

There's 0% chance (not even 0.1% chance) Carey Price isn't the starting goalie for Canada as of today.

If Price shits the bet at training/camp start and Hart takes over, maybe. Or if Price this upcoming season has a really bad season and Hart a great one, maybe.

But as of today - it's 100% Price for #1.

I do think Hart will be there - not sure Kuemper makes the#3 though, that'd surprise me a lot too.

Similarly to Price - in my opinion there's no way Doughty and Weber don't make Team Canada as of today. That can change in 1 more year I suppose, but as of today they both 100% make it. We all know how conservative Team Canada always is.

Reactions: Newusername

cj19

Jul 21, 2016
Marchand - Mcdavid - Mackinnion
Dubois - Crosby - Point
Konnecy - Barzal - Marner
Stamkos - schieffle - Stone
Hall

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
I'd play MacKinnon with McDavid for the fastest line ever, but McDavid/MacKinnon/Sid down the middle is f***ing stupid deep.

Reactions: ORRFForever

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
There's 0% chance (not even 0.1% chance) Carey Price isn't the starting goalie for Canada as of today.

If Price shits the bet at training/camp start and Hart takes over, maybe. Or if Price this upcoming season has a really bad season and Hart a great one, maybe.

But as of today - it's 100% Price for #1.

I do think Hart will be there - not sure Kuemper makes the#3 though, that'd surprise me a lot too.

Similarly to Price - in my opinion there's no way Doughty and Weber don't make Team Canada as of today. That can change in 1 more year I suppose, but as of today they both 100% make it. We all know how conservative Team Canada always is.
Conservative is one way to put it. Insulating the young talent is another way. Doughty and others mentioned how crucial it was to have Pronger and Neidermayer there for their presence. Pronger apparently took all the d-men out to dinner one of the first nights and had a talk with them about being the future of HC. You can bet that unless he absolutely falls off, Weber will be there for his steadying presence.

I remember Pronger not looking very good in the first game but got better as the tournament went on.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Conservative is one way to put it. Insulating the young talent is another way. Doughty and others mentioned how crucial it was to have Pronger and Neidermayer there for their presence. Pronger apparently took all the d-men out to dinner one of the first nights and had a talk with them about being the future of HC. You can bet that unless he absolutely falls off, Weber will be there for his steadying presence.

I remember Pronger not looking very good in the first game but got better as the tournament went on.

D men also can generally play at a higher level than forwards well into their mid 30s.

I’d bet both Weber and Doughty would be there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad