Reilly Hamilton
Morrissey Weber
Makar

Binnington
Hart
Price

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Team Canada can't trade for nor sign free agents so this may be the wrong board for this...

edit: This was on the trade board, hence this and the 2 posts below this.

Last edited:

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
I don’t know if guys like Weber and Bergeron will be good enough in 2 years to be on Team Canada.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
I'd take Point over Barzal.
ROR could make a case as the 13th forward or maybe replace couts.

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
Because I'm bored ....

Marchand McDavid MacKinnon
Huberdeau Crosby Schiefele
Marner Tavares Stamkos
Couturier Bergeron Stone
Barzal

Chabot Pietrangelo
Reilly Hamilton
Morrissey Weber
Makar

Binnington
Hart
Price
No way Hamilton makes this team. Dont need his offense and he cant defend. Ryan Ellis needs to be there.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Because I'm bored ....

Marchand McDavid MacKinnon
Huberdeau Crosby Schiefele
Marner Tavares Stamkos
Couturier Bergeron Stone
Barzal

Chabot Pietrangelo
Reilly Hamilton
Morrissey Weber
Makar

Binnington
Hart
Price
3rd line of forwards and 2nd line of d-men are garbage. I would NOT want to have to trust either line in a GMG. We can do so much better.

Where is Doughty?

Marner would try to be too fancy and give up the puck, Tavares would be too slow to help, and Stamkos would be pounding his stick on the bench because he can't find the back of the net - how many times have we seen that in his career?

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Watching World Cup : Canada vs Europe on Sportsnet.

They were talking about Stamkos' quality of play - or lack thereof.

Why are some players unable to perform in BIG games? Playing in Florida, Stamkos is the Dan Marino of hockey.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
3rd line of forwards and 2nd line of d-men are garbage. I would NOT want to have to trust either line in a GMG. We can do so much better.

Where is Doughty?

Marner would try to be too fancy and give up the puck, Tavares would be too slow to help, and Stamkos would be pounding his stick on the bench because he can't find the back of the net - how many times have we seen that in his career?
Doughty is not good at this point.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
A month ago(?), I wrote that Tavares and Marner had NO business being on Team Canada - and they'd be liabilities in big games. For that, I was read the riot act.

Hopefully everyone who thought I was wrong watched Game 1 against Columbus.

And yes, apology accepted.

Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Craig Button's team is the best I've seen so far...

upload_2020-10-9_16-49-10.png

The Top 6 is insane.

My changes : Get rid of Stamkos and Marner and squeeze Barzal - I know people love Marner but... NO !!!!

If they're included, Marner and Stamkos will be our weakest links and get the lowest grades after the tournament. I can just see the reviews now...

"Stamkos was all but invisible throughout the series. He did score the 6th goal in the 8 - 1 win against Norway, but he was held off the score sheet for the remainder of the tournament - minus his 2 second assists on the Power Play.

Stamkos has NEVER produced on the International / BIG stage and one has to wonder why he was included on the team when there were so many other options."

"Mitch Marner was a mistake machine, trying to do too much, and giving away the puck in his own zone time and time again. His now infamous "behind the back, under the armpit, while combing his hair" pass almost cost Canada the tournament.

After that, he was replaced by Barzal - who was terrific.
"

Last edited:
Reactions: RicoxSuave

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018

View attachment 371688

The Top 6 is insane.

My changes : Get rid of Stamkos and Marner and squeeze Barzal - I know people love Marner but... NO !!!!

If they're included, Marner and Stamkos will be our weakest links and get the lowest grades after the tournament. I can just see the reviews now...

"Stamkos was all but invisible throughout the series. He did score the 6th goal in the 8 - 1 win against Norway, but he was held off the score sheet for the remainder of the tournament - minus his 2 second assists on the Power Play.

Stamkos has NEVER produced on the International / BIG stage and one has to wonder why he was included on the team when there were so many other options."

"Mitch Marner was a mistake machine, trying to do too much, and giving away the puck in his own zone time and time again. His now infamous "behind the back, under the armpit, while combing his hair" pass almost cost Canada the tournament.

After that, he was replaced by Barzal - who was terrific."

Just curious, but what tournament are you referencing here where Barzal replaced Marner, and, if Marner almost cost Canada the tournament, I guess that means Barzal saved it for us delivering gold? Can't be the '16 WJC in Malmo, Sweden... I agree Marner wasn't good that tournament, but what I remember most about that tournament, it was epic team failure from the coach all the way down to team bus driver.

It takes a team to win it and a team to lose it.

I never put too much stock into the hockey musings of one Craig Button. I wouldn't be elevating Horvat or PLD to the A team just yet.

Happy Thanksgiving Day - by the way.

about to stuff my turkey.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
J HUBERDEAUC MCDAVIDN MACKINNON
B MARCHANDS CROSBYP BERGERON
J TAVARESB POINTM SCHEIFELE
R O’REILLYS COUTURIERM STONE
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
T KONECNY M MARNER
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
T CHABOTA PIETRANGELO
S THEODOREC MAKAR
M RIELLYC PARAYKO
J MORRISSEYD HAMILTON
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
C PRICE
J BINNINGTON
C HART
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

my hockey musings. The only difference between Button and myself. He is paid for his musings.

The next two players I would take if Tavares and Marner are out would be Beauvillier and Barzal.

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
I like Button's squad too: a good mix of newcomers with a few veteran team Canada stalwarts thrown in for good measure. Of course, that 2nd line will be fairly "old" in two years - but if they don't show significant signs of slowing down, why not? Crosby - Bergeron are money for TC and Marchand is the perfect LW. Some might scratch their heads, but I love the inclusion of Dubois and Horvat as well.

Of course, who knows what happens in two years time? Does somebody like Hall have an unreal season again? What about Lefreniere or another young star?

The only "weakness" looks to be in net. Not because any of those three are bad, just that we don't quite have the depth at that position that we used to. Remember when the options used to include a still prime Roy, Brodeur, Joseph, Belfour, etc.?

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
J HUBERDEAUC MCDAVIDN MACKINNON
B MARCHANDS CROSBYP BERGERON
J TAVARESB POINTM SCHEIFELE
R O’REILLYS COUTURIERM STONE
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
T KONECNY M MARNER
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
T CHABOTA PIETRANGELO
S THEODOREC MAKAR
M RIELLYC PARAYKO
J MORRISSEYD HAMILTON
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
C PRICE
J BINNINGTON
C HART
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
my hockey musings. The only difference between Button and myself. He is paid for his musings.

The next two players I would take if Tavares and Marner are out would be Beauvillier and Barzal.

You've gone with a more workman-like team Canada. I think that that is the right approach at this time. Canada's defence is a bit weak at the moment but that can be mitigated somewhat by including many of the hard working, two way forwards who are available.

I'll say this too. I think that Doughty is still right up there when it comes to eligible defencemen. He's had some mediocre seasons as his team has been terrible, but he his ability doesn't look like it's disappeared. I don't think that he's the hardest working or most motivated player but I do think that he could get up for a big tournament. I also like Doughty opposite any of the LD options.

Enjoy the turkey, turnip and all the rest.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
You've gone with a more workman-like team Canada. I think that that is the right approach at this time. Canada's defence is a bit weak at the moment but that can be mitigated somewhat by including many of the hard working, two way forwards who are available.

I'll say this too. I think that Doughty is still right up there when it comes to eligible defencemen. He's had some mediocre seasons as his team has been terrible, but he his ability doesn't look like it's disappeared. I don't think that he's the hardest working or most motivated player but I do think that he could get up for a big tournament. I also like Doughty opposite any of the LD options.

Enjoy the turkey, turnip and all the rest.

hopefully we'll get in a season for Doughty to prove he still got it. I have my doubts that he does or could get up to speed even along side a A+ LD. Still time to figure all that out.

looking forward to the big dinner. and a turkey induced coma later on.

Happy Thanksgiving Day to you and fam.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018

Just curious, but what tournament are you referencing here where Barzal replaced Marner, and, if Marner almost cost Canada the tournament, I guess that means Barzal saved it for us delivering gold? Can't be the '16 WJC in Malmo, Sweden... I agree Marner wasn't good that tournament, but what I remember most about that tournament, it was epic team failure from the coach all the way down to team bus driver.

It takes a team to win it and a team to lose it.

I never put too much stock into the hockey musings of one Craig Button. I wouldn't be elevating Horvat or PLD to the A team just yet.

Happy Thanksgiving Day - by the way.

about to stuff my turkey.
I was saying what the reviews will be after the 2022 Olympics. :)

86Habs

May 4, 2009

View attachment 371688

The Top 6 is insane.

After that, he was replaced by Barzal - who was terrific.
"

I don't like Huberdeau on the 1st line, I don't like the fact that O'Reilly is playing below Horvat or Dubois, and I don't like the omission of Couturier. Generally speaking I'm also not a fan of playmaking wingers, so while Marner would fit well on this team I'd probably move him down to the lineup to 13th/14th forward. Stamkos has a mixed international track record but fills a need on this team (namely, goal-scoring capability from the wing), and now adds a very competent 200-foot game and excellent faceoff ability. We're very light at the natural wing position (specifically, natural goal scorers at the wing position), so ultimately the likes of Stamkos and Scheifele will have to get moved over. Unfortunately 2022 is too early to reasonably project out Lafreniere on the senior team, and while acknowledging he was injured in the playoffs Seguin hasn't established himself as a lock for the these teams either - but has the exact skillset I'd look for at the wing position.

Button's defence looks really good, imo. The goaltending, well, it "is what it is".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->