Courturier

Reilly - Paryako
Pietrangelo - Doughty
Makar - Weber
Chabot

Blackwood
Price
Hart

As for Jets players, if Scheifele can sharpen up his two way game over the next year he can work his way higher into the lineup, and Morrisey seems to be playing himself off of this roster, He is struggling as the #1 for the jets. If he did make the roster he'd likely do well in more of a depth role he'd be in.

As of now, blackwood looks like Canadas best goalie, but that changes so much season to season. Price should be on the roster for experience, and if he's at his best or on a hot streak, he's the guy.

Reactions: Prolific18

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
If Suzuki keeps improving, I can see him being the last forward in. Or at least get an invite. Craig Button, FWIW, has him slotted in with the forwards. Ballsy, but promising.

As of today, Suzuki isn’t there yet but only if he keeps progressing, we never know

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
If Suzuki keeps improving, I can see him being the last forward in. Or at least get an invite. Craig Button, FWIW, has him slotted in with the forwards. Ballsy, but promising.

As of today, Suzuki isn’t there yet but only if he keeps progressing, we never know

Maybe the Olympics following, more established and some other players will either be retired or past their prime.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
Whatever they do, if they want to get the most of Mackinnon they’ll want to have one of his wingers being more of a playmaker he can work off of like he does with Rantanen.

I wish it wasn’t Armstrong/Holland because the personnel we have right now lends itself most to a speed and youth focused team

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
That's what we heard about the Canadian WJC team this year.....Team Canada will as always be great on paper but it's not iron clad, especially on defense.

Well the junior team was being heavily overrated personnel wise. We know TC at the Olympics will have the most star power, but in this case the challenge is more finding the right chemistry, form, balance, coaching system to win. The US always seems to build teams the right way to challenge TC

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Whatever they do, if they want to get the most of Mackinnon they’ll want to have one of his wingers being more of a playmaker he can work off of like he does with Rantanen.

I wish it wasn’t Armstrong/Holland because the personnel we have right now lends itself most to a speed and youth focused team

Mackinnon and Marner played really well on the PP together at the World Championships, Nate was raving about him. I think he could be that playmaker.

Reactions: Nihiliste

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
During the offseason, Josh Morrissey was making all the expert's teams.

He seems to have lost some favour.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
I wouldn’t be surprised to see Cirelli make a push for this team. Has been great internationally and will benefit from Cooper likely being the coach (no offense to Craig Berubé but you can’t give the Lamborghini keys to a bus driver)
I am thinking Trotz will probably be offered the coaching job.

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020
Sloane Square, Chelsea, England
Bergeron-Crosby-Marchand
Scheifele-McDavid-Huberdeau
Marner-Mackinnon-Point
Cirelli-O’Reilly-Stone

Note: It’s almost embarrassing how many talented forwards Canada has. I’m not kidding when I could say fairly certainly that forwards 13-25 are probably the second best group in international hockey (if they had their own team).

Weber-Chabot
Theodore-Hamilton
Pietrangelo-Makar

Note: if you were to ask me how I felt about Canada’s defence 18 months ago, I would not have been optimistic. With Makar and Theodore’s fabulous progression, these qualms have been quashed. Though not the 5 hall-of-famers blue line of 2010, this group still looks as if it will be competent and should be comfortably the second best group in Beijing behind Sweden.

Price
Hart
Blackwood

Note: not much to say here, if Price is healthy he’s one of the best in the world and will start.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Bergeron-Crosby-Marchand
Scheifele-McDavid-Huberdeau
Marner-Mackinnon-Point
Cirelli-O’Reilly-Stone

Note: It’s almost embarrassing how many talented forwards Canada has. I’m not kidding when I could say fairly certainly that forwards 13-25 are probably the second best group in international hockey (if they had their own team).

Weber-Chabot
Theodore-Hamilton
Pietrangelo-Makar

Note: if you were to ask me how I felt about Canada’s defence 18 months ago, I would not have been optimistic. With Makar and Theodore’s fabulous progression, these qualms have been quashed. Though not the 5 hall-of-famers blue line of 2010, this group still looks as if it will be competent and should be comfortably the second best group in Beijing behind Sweden.

Price
Hart
Blackwood

Note: not much to say here, if Price is healthy he’s one of the best in the world and will start.

Lots of interesting picks there.

I don't see Cirelli over Couturier/Tavares/Stamkos.

Plus, the idea of Parayko being left out in his prime seems improbable based on how much time he's given Team Canada over the years. That international experience pushes him above the younger names.

It'll definitely be fascinating to see what they do about Rielly/Doughty as that's another pair of experienced defencemen that will get a serious look.

I realize they want to go younger, but I don't think it means having a defensive core that includes Chabot, Theodore, and Makar. They will probably only take 1-2 of those guys with Makar being the most likely due to his game-breaking talent.

Reactions: BHD

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
That's what we heard about the Canadian WJC team this year.....Team Canada will as always be great on paper but it's not iron clad, especially on defense.

You're not wrong, but I wouldn't compare WJC teams with the Olympic team.

WJC teams often include a little bit of guesswork involving a prospect's growth curve and how they handle pressure in a tournament setting.

The Olympic team doesn't involve as much guesswork. We all know MacKinnon, McDavid, Crosby, and the rest are superstars of the highest ilk. We've already seen them consistently dominate in the best league against the best players.

But yes, this is not as much of a sure thing as it was in 2014.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
You're not wrong, but I wouldn't compare WJC teams with the Olympic team.

WJC teams often include a little bit of guesswork involving a prospect's growth curve and how they handle pressure in a tournament setting.

The Olympic team doesn't involve as much guesswork. We all know MacKinnon, McDavid, Crosby, and the rest are superstars of the highest ilk. We've already seen them consistently dominate in the best league against the best players.

But yes, this is not as much of a sure thing as it was in 2014.

It was not even a sure thing back then.

Canada are always the favorites, but saying 2014 was a sure thing is hindsight. The team performed as expected, but it had some question marks heading in. Ex: Why the heck did they pick Kunitz? MSL being excluded before there were injuries.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
I am thinking Trotz will probably be offered the coaching job.

I'm confident they could win with Trotz, but it would be another tournament of manufacturing 3-0 and 2-1 wins. I hope they pick a coach who has his players push the pace (e.g., Cooper).

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I'm confident they could win with Trotz, but it would be another tournament of manufacturing 3-0 and 2-1 wins. I hope they pick a coach who has his players push the pace (e.g., Cooper).
Yeah I'd like Cooper as the Head Coach. Trotz should absolutely be on the staff though.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
It is better to win 3-0 and 2-1, while safely controlling the play, rather than getting into more risk taking 5-4 shootouts with a team where a player out of position due to risk taking costs you the game.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
It is better to win 3-0 and 2-1, while safely controlling the play, rather than getting into more risk taking 5-4 shootouts with a team where a player out of position due to risk taking costs you the game.

Or the other team manages to score a late goal in a 1-1 game.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Huberdeau- McDavid - Stone
Schiefele - MacKinnon - Marner
Marchand - Crosby - Bergeron
Point - Couturier - Anderson

Theadore - Pietrangelo
Chabot - Makar
Hamilton - Weber

Price
Hart

Personally, I think Canada would be better off rolling McDavid, MacKinnon, and Crosby as the 1/2/3C. I just think that gives you a significant add vantage over all other countries.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Are we concerned going with Carey Price as the starter? I know we can easily shift if he has a poor start.
This is Carey Price's last 4 seasons, this year is obviously a small sample size.

upload_2021-2-4_14-49-34.png

Before we start saying we did something similar to Martin Brodeur before the last Olympics. Here are Martin Brodeur's 4 seasons prior to the Olympics

upload_2021-2-4_14-55-18.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad