Player Discussion Brady Tkachuk (LW) - Part XI

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
That blows my mind. I don't get it. Not one little bit.

I don't see how it holds any more significance than a Spengler Cup, or any other forgotten tournament. The title "World Championship" seems hokey to me.

That said, don't mean to criticize. Humans enjoying something is nothing to be mad about, I just fail to see the significance myself.
It’s the biggest hockey event of the year in Europe.

Both of these look like AI lmao
But they’re not.

Reactions: DueDiligence

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I mean, yeah that roster is pretty stinky, but who cares? Good for Brady getting to be captain of his country's national team.

As for being a GOOD captain? Well the proof is in the pudding. Good leaders win games, great leaders win championships. Hopefully Brady gets there. Until we start making the playoffs there is not much to say about his leadership.
No doubt, I'm happy for Tkachuk, most kids probably dream of being able to rep their country, let alone rep the C. Just noting that he's captain because the typical candidates for leadership aren't available. It'll feel weird cheering against Tkachuk if they play Canada, but I want him, Pinto and Sandy to have great tournaments.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
You are too special. For what ever reason you need to constantly diminish the accomplishments of the captain of your favorite team. Strange but then again I remember a post a few months ago where your claimed captain pajama boy was far superior to BT.
Regardless of what you think, I still cheer for this team and want Tkachuk to be successful as captain of our team (just have my doubts). And yes, Pajama Boy, even if he's overpaid af, is a better leader for the Laffs than Tkachuk has been for us. One was a vet who has captained an NHL club before who dragged some pretty crap NYI clubs to the playoffs, the other was handed the C prematurely.

• Haha
Reactions: Icelevel

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Regardless of what you think, I still cheer for this team and want Tkachuk to be successful as captain of our team (just have my doubts). And yes, Pajama Boy, even if he's overpaid af, is a better leader for the Laffs than Tkachuk has been for us. One was a vet who has captained an NHL club before who dragged some pretty crap NYI clubs to the playoffs, the other was handed the C prematurely.
Absolutely comical. Playoff no show, shows no emotion never sticks up for his teammates. Loser captain of a loser team. He wasnt even sweating after they lost game 7 in his post game interview.... The leafs talent level has massively underachieved. Its a real tell when posters think Brady doesnt lead.

Last edited:

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Tavares is the biggest reason why the leafs have been failing in the playoffs. Dude provides the team with nothing in the playoffs.

Reactions: DueDiligence

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
You really have no clue if you believe that.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Tavares is the biggest reason why the leafs have been failing in the playoffs. Dude provides the team with nothing in the playoffs.
Offensively he's been pretty shit this season and he's always been overpaid, but he's an absolute beast on the dot, tries his ass off in his own zone, and has yet to whine to the media/shown any immaturity off the ice.

Besides, he's behind Marner, AM34, goaltending and Treliving/Dubas when it comes to playoff failures. Their 'gamebreakers' are overpaid and don't show up in the playoffs aside from Nylander, their goalies suck, and defense isn't built right. JT's contract is why some of those issues are there, but he's far from their biggest problem.

We're literally comparing someone who's battle tested in the playoffs to someone who has never sniffed the playoffs. I'd rather have Brady Tkachuk on this roster, but in no way is he a better leader than JT today.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Offensively he's been pretty shit this season and he's always been overpaid, but he's an absolute beast on the dot, tries his ass off in his own zone, and has yet to whine to the media/shown any immaturity off the ice.

Besides, he's behind Marner, AM34, goaltending and Treliving/Dubas when it comes to playoff failures. Their 'gamebreakers' are overpaid and don't show up in the playoffs aside from Nylander, their goalies suck, and defense isn't built right. JT's contract is why some of those issues are there, but he's far from their biggest problem.

We're literally comparing someone who's battle tested in the playoffs to someone who has never sniffed the playoffs. I'd rather have Brady Tkachuk on this roster, but in no way is he a better leader than JT today.
Tavares battle tested in the playoffs seems a touch hyperbolic here.

Yes, he's got 62 playoff games, but he's only been to the second round twice. He's also seen his production drop significantly in playoffs compared to the reg season.

When I think of battle tested playoff leaders, Tavares aint it.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Look I'm happy The Tkaptain gets to kill it at the worlds, but look at the USA roster:
-Gavin Brindley
-Will Smith
-Alex Nedeljkovic
-Brock Nelson
-Ryan Leonard
-Kevin Hayes
-Mikey Eyssimont
-Jeff Petry
-Michael Kesselring
-Matthew Kessel
-Trey Augustine
-Matt Boldy
-Cole Caufield
-Joel Farabee
-Johnny Gaudreau
-Luke Hughes
-Seth Jones
-Luke Kunin
-Alex Lyon
-Shane Pinto
-Jake Sanderson
-Brady Tkachuk
-Alex Vlasic
-Zach Werenski
-Trevor Zegras

Aside from Jones, Nelson or Hayes, there's slim pickings for even A's. The bolded are the only players that probably make a fully healthy/available USA Roster.

If Larkin, Miller, AM34, MTkachuk, Hughes, Trochek, Fox, Eichel, Pavelski, McAvoy or Kane are on the roster, Brady doesn't even get an A.
All the bolded have worn letters for their NHL clubs. It would have been easy to justify slapping the C on one of the old guys to « give them their turn » and even more so if they might not make the best on best roster.

There’s no reason to diminish Brady’s recognition here.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Tavares battle tested in the playoffs seems a touch hyperbolic here.

Yes, he's got 62 playoff games, but he's only been to the second round twice. He's also seen his production drop significantly in playoffs compared to the reg season.

When I think of battle tested playoff leaders, Tavares aint it.
Look, I'm not going to say Tavares is some elite 1C who is the model for leadership. Until he got to the Leafs, he was consistently leading his team in scoring in the playoffs and carrying the offensive load, and the only reason they weren't swept. His scoring in the playoffs has declined with the leafs (24 points in 38 games), but he's still been useful in other parts of the game (still wouldn't want him at that contract though).

Relative to Tkachuk, JT is a better leader.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Buddy wasnt even sweating after losing game 7. He's literally invisible. Does absolutely nothing physically.

He isnt behind any of them he is making 11 million and is the captain of the team. Brady is a way better player and leader. I know people that never played hockey dont think physicality matters or sticking up for your teammates doesnt mean anything to you. But all of that goes a LONG way in any dressing room. Putting your body on the line matters, sacrificing for teammates matters. Thats leadership. Not coasting and leaching pp points while never competing.

Tavares is battle tested? he is like 2-11 in playoff series. What Captain, lol what incredible leadership....... Making the playoffs is a team accomplishment not a player accomplishment. Brady has been part of a complete tear down. How you dont know the difference is shocking. Or you are just ignoring it because you are pushing this hilarious narrative.

Reactions: Icelevel and Masked

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Buddy wasnt even sweating after losing game 7. He's literally invisible. Does absolutely nothing physically.

He isnt behind any of them he is making 11 million and is the captain of the team. Brady is a way better player and leader. I know people that never played hockey dont think physicality matters or sticking up for your teammates doesnt mean anything to you. But all of that goes a LONG way in any dressing room. Putting your body on the line matters, sacrificing for teammates matters. Thats leadership. Not coasting and leaching pp points while never competing.

Tavares is battle tested? he is like 2-11 in playoff series. What Captain, lol what incredible leadership....... Making the playoffs is a team accomplishment not a player accomplishment. Brady has been part of a complete tear down. How you dont know the difference is shocking. Or you are just ignoring it because you are pushing this hilarious narrative.
And Tavares is literally invisible off the ice. He never says anything of importance and is seen as just another overpaid guy on that team.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Absolutely comical. Playoff no show, shows no emotion never sticks up for his teammates. Loser captain of a loser team. He wasnt even sweating after they lost game 7 in his post game interview.... The leafs talent level has massively underachieved. Its a real tell when posters think Brady doesnt lead.
My tolerance for this stuff(previous poster) is pretty low nowadays. Love adding to my ignore list. Makes life here so much better.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
That roster is stinky?.... It would probably compete for a cup. Way better than the sens.

I misread it by interpreting bold guys as missing. But the point still stands. It doesn't matter who's on the roster or who's missing just be happy for Tkachuk to be captain of his national team. It means absolutely nothing in the context of the Sens but there is no reason to dump on it.

What kind of leader is needed to convince our goalies to stop a beach ball?

OK. It still doesn't change the fact that we know next to nothing about real leadership from Tkachuk because he's never had the chance to play in the playoffs. That's where leadership in the NHL shows.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Oof that’s a bad take, JT is vanilla , that doesn’t bring any passion or emotion.

What kind of leader is needed to convince our goalies to stop a beach ball?
Didn’t realize a captain can just say , hey stop those beach balls, and then everything will be fine lol.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Sanderson went down, stayed down for a bit went off the ice not putting much weight on one leg. He was just on for another shift but seemed to be uncomfortable turning on that leg and went off.
Stay tuned.

He's back out.. sigh

Sanderson took a heavy hit from behind by Eriksson- Ek late in the game ...He was shaken up but seemed ok.

The Fin -CZE 3 on 3 was really good... back and forth lots of chances no goals. Shoot out time.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Icelevel

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Sanderson went down, stayed down for a bit went off the ice not putting much weight on one leg. He was just on for another shift but seemed to be uncomfortable turning on that leg and went off.
Stay tuned.

He's back out.. sigh

Sanderson took a heavy hit from behind by Eriksson- Ek late in the game ...He was shaken up but seemed ok.

The Fin -CZE 3 on 3 was really good... back and forth lots of chances no goals. Shoot out time.
Oh no, hopefully he’ll be fine.

Beech

What A Wonderful Day
Nov 25, 2020
and to think, he played in NY for 9 years, made the playoffs 3 times. Played 24 games, amassed 22 points.

Those poor Leafs had to go on blind faith (IDIOTS).

5 years of Major junior.. where 16 teams out of 20 make the playoffs.. made it 3 out of 5. Played 38 games, amassed 50 points.. All the while, he was the wonderchild.

Hockeydb.. it is one click away.. You would think, the Leafs have internet access.. Bell or Rogers, it does not matter. It is free for them.

as reference: Crosby. 2 years of junior. A 3rd round in year 1. A QMJHL championship in year 2, plus a Mem. cup final game appearance. By year 9 of his NHL career. A cup win, A cup final, almost 80 games played. Almost 100 points.

Check out Marner, Mathews, Riley, Nylander... very little success at the pro or junior level. Marner did in his last year, but that was a rock star of a team.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad