Team Canada 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Eh, I think there is actually a good amount of turnover from the 2016 World Cup team. Only five returnees at forward (Crosby, Marchand, Bergeron, Stamkos) and I don't think you could really argue with any of those guys (although obviously Stamkos's health is an ongoing concern and Bergeron will be 36 years old in February 2022...so no guarantee that he'll be performing at the same level by that point). Who are the better options in the top 6? Because admittedly I'm not in love with the wingers on this roster, but I didn't feel like, say, Marner or Huberdeau would complement McDavid's game all that well relative to Scheifele. I think Marner deserves a spot on this roster and in my mind could even look really good alongside Crosby if Bergeron isn't up to snuff, but I'm not sure if he and McDavid would mesh given their different pacing and style of play. That's what training camp is for I guess. W/r/t Barzal it would be a reasonable take to swap him in as an extra forward for Dubois or Horvat on skating ability alone, but I'd need to see a little more progression before I penciled him in to my lineup personally. Duchene is/was a similar player and had a positive impact on the 2014 team when he came in to replace Tavares, so Barzal would be a reasonable selection if you considered Dubois and Horvat somewhat redundant and you wanted the optionality of injecting some speed into the lineup.

Yeah I should clarify by vets I meant more in NHL years than the previous World Cup team. I could've been clearer. For example I really like Mark Stone, but I'm not sure he's the best choice on big ice in 2022.

I'd try something like this to start

Huberdeau - McDavid - Point
ROR - MacKinnon - Marner
Marchand - Crosby - Bergeron
Dubois - Barzal - Konecny

Couturier - Horvat

Definitely a pretty young team and maybe too early for Konecny, but I really like the speed and skill throughout the lineup. And I think it should be solid defensively as well.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Yeah I should clarify by vets I meant more in NHL years than the previous World Cup team. I could've been clearer. For example I really like Mark Stone, but I'm not sure he's the best choice on big ice in 2022.

ROR - MacKinnon - Marner

Couturier - Horvat

Definitely a pretty young team and maybe too early for Konecny, but I really like the speed and skill throughout the lineup. And I think it should be solid defensively as well.
And most of our previous best on best international experience is all on one (3rd) line - not criticizing because most of us want that line together.

We have no choice to start making changes. We all knew it could be painful and it definitely would be a shock. With a weaker back end, winning the next best on best is going to be tough.

Having said that, we have endless firepower and should be able to roll 4 lines which will keep all the other teams struggling to keep up.

Last edited:

cg98

Oct 10, 2017

ROR - MacKinnon - Marner

Couturier - Horvat

Scheifele was PPG in 2016 and won gold and was on the 2017 silver team. Hes played on the big ice so it’s not really a problem.

86Habs

May 4, 2009

ROR - MacKinnon - Marner

Couturier - Horvat

Young team. Aggressively young. I think this is probably where reasonable people agree to disagree, as in general I'm looking for guys with both strong international resumes (to prove they can adjust to the larger ice surface) and strong playoff performances to build the forward group around, so in that sense I personally wouldn't want Huberdeau getting 20 minutes/game on McDavid's left side. It's a comfort thing for me. Scheifele has the resume I'm looking for, as well as the skillset that I think would work well alongside McDavid.

I think its too early for Konecny (or, said another way, I like other options better). I'm a fan and have been watching him since his days with the 67s, but I don't think he's quite there at this point. I'd rather have Stone/Stamkos/Scheifele for 2022. Konecny's time will hopefully come, but imo it will be post-2022.

As an aside, I have no concerns with either Scheifele or Stone on international ice, as both guys have a couple of really strong World Championships performances under their belt. I think Stone, in particular, has also been one of the better playoff performers in recent years and I like his versatility to move up and down the lineup.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I think it's worth noting that Canada isn't looking as strong on defence as has been the case recently. You'd hope to help the defencemen a bit by using forwards who are elite defensively or at least do a lot to drive possession. This is where I see guys like O'Reilly, Stone, maybe Couturier being very important. Scheifele has done good work in a defensive role internationally as well. Given that McDavid and MacKinnon don't bring a lot defensively there is a need for other forwards who can contribute a lot when they don't have the puck.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Has Doughty really fallen off that far or does he just NOT care on a bad LA team?

He's only 31. He should still have another 4 good years in him.

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Interesting read...

Does Drew Doughty give the Kings a $77 million problem? – Daily News

2021 will give us a better perspective on Doughty. Many players have come back after off years. There is also the chance that he needed a year of rest after being injury free for most of his career.

As for me, he'd be on my Team Canada. Same with Weber. First, we need their leadership and, second, we've had a drought of quality D-Men. I would much prefer Weber and Doughty over Morgan Rielly and Dougie Hamilton.

Last edited:

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
My defense

Chabot - Pietrangelo
Theodore - Makar
Rielly - Parayko
Hamilton - Weber

I don't have very strong convictions about the pairings or order, but those are the 8 guys I'd like in the mix.

Doughty played his way off my team with his performance last season. If he has a massive bounce back we can revisit but not expecting that.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
My defense

Chabot - Pietrangelo
Theodore - Makar
Rielly - Parayko
Hamilton - Weber

I don't have very strong convictions about the pairings or order, but those are the 8 guys I'd like in the mix.

Doughty played his way off my team with his performance last season. If he has a massive bounce back we can revisit but not expecting that.
Maybe I've see too many Leaf games but Reilly scares the heck out of me. Hamilton is a screw up waiting to happen on the internationally stage.

I like the rest.

Hopefully the Top 4 will chew up a ton of minutes.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Has Doughty really fallen off that far or does he just NOT care on a bad LA team?

He's only 31. He should still have another 4 good years in him.
If he can't even play to the calibre of a top 4 defenceman on a regular basis, I personally don't care whether it's "he's bad and can't help it" or "he's bad and it's an attitude issue." He doesn't belong on Team Canada.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
If he can't even play to the calibre of a top 4 defenceman on a regular basis, I personally don't care whether it's "he's bad and can't help it" or "he's bad and it's an attitude issue." He doesn't belong on Team Canada.
Maybe he just needed a break from hockey. Let's see if his game picks up in 2021. A LOT of talent and experience to pass on.

Last edited:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
As things stand right now I'd still take Doughty. I believe that he has motivation issues, given his uneven regular season performances over the years, but when the games are big Doughty generally brings it. He isn't washed up at his age and I don't think that he's hindered by any significant injury. Canada's defence is certainly in a transition stage, probably not for the better, and Doughty fills a lot of potential weaknesses on the defence.

Reactions: ORRFForever

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I still have to go with what TSN gave us...

Chabot - Pietrangelo
Theodore - Makar
Morrissey - Doughty
??? - Weber

I'm trying to think of a replacement for Rielly (???) - I'm not a fan.

How has Aaron Ekblad been looking lately? Expected so much more from him.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
As things stand right now I'd still take Doughty. I believe that he has motivation issues, given his uneven regular season performances over the years, but when the games are big Doughty generally brings it. He isn't washed up at his age and I don't think that he's hindered by any significant injury. Canada's defence is certainly in a transition stage, probably not for the better, and Doughty fills a lot of potential weaknesses on the defence.
I disagree. I get that he's been around the block, but Canada has so many defencemen who are playing to a much higher standard on a regular basis than Doughty:

Right shots:
Pietrangelo
Makar
Letang
Ellis
Hamilton
Pulock
Spurgeon
Parayko
Weber
Burns

Plus Theodore, a left shot who can play the right side. I'd much rather put in someone without international experience, who shows a high level of play on a regular basis. I also wouldn't rely on Doughty's age as an indicator that he's not washed up yet. I realize there are standard aging curves in NHL players, but there are tons of guys who defy those curves (in both good and bad ways), and 31 is honestly not young for a dman in spite of the fact that they often age a little better than forwards.

If Doughty came in for the shortened 2021 season and the early 2021/22 season and killed it, then sure, give him an invite. But I wouldn't invite him if he continues playing like a 3 million dollar player, and I certainly wouldn't pencil him in regardless of what he does over the next 12 months.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I still have to go with what TSN gave us...

Chabot - Pietrangelo
Theodore - Makar
Morrissey - Doughty
??? - Weber

I'm trying to think of a replacement for Rielly (???) - I'm not a fan.

How has Aaron Ekblad been looking lately? Expected so much more from him.

I keep seeing Josh Morrissey in the thread and I don't get it. Last season was the first time he had to take on a lot of responsibility and he really struggled. Obviously he has some time to change my impression but right now I definitely think there are better options.

Last edited:
Reactions: 57special

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I keep seeing Josh Morrissey in the thread and I don't get it. Last season was the first time he had to take on a lot of responsibility and he really struggled. Obviously he has some time to change my impression but right now I definitely think there are better options.
Who do you like better?

As for our current options, I can't remember a time when our D was this iffy. Hopefully the recent drafts will make a difference because our current D is a big step behind Sweden and I prefer the American D to ours.

Last edited:

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Maybe I've see too many Leaf games but Reilly scares the heck out of me. Hamilton is a screw up waiting to happen on the internationally stage.

I like the rest.

Hopefully the Top 4 will chew up a ton of minutes.

Rielly was pretty good when he played for Team Canada at the World Championships.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I disagree. I get that he's been around the block, but Canada has so many defencemen who are playing to a much higher standard on a regular basis than Doughty:

Right shots:
Pietrangelo
Makar
Letang
Ellis
Hamilton
Pulock
Spurgeon
Parayko
Weber
Burns

Plus Theodore, a left shot who can play the right side. I'd much rather put in someone without international experience, who shows a high level of play on a regular basis. I also wouldn't rely on Doughty's age as an indicator that he's not washed up yet. I realize there are standard aging curves in NHL players, but there are tons of guys who defy those curves (in both good and bad ways), and 31 is honestly not young for a dman in spite of the fact that they often age a little better than forwards.

If Doughty came in for the shortened 2021 season and the early 2021/22 season and killed it, then sure, give him an invite. But I wouldn't invite him if he continues playing like a 3 million dollar player, and I certainly wouldn't pencil him in regardless of what he does over the next 12 months.

As things stand right now I'd take Doughty over any of them other than Pietrangelo when it comes to an international tournament. Doughty hasn't just been around the block - he's been consistently great for Canada at the WJC, then the world championships, then at the best on best level. His team has gone into the crapper lately though I just don't but that his ability suddenly eroded with no clear cause. Regardless, in an ideal situation there will be plenty of games before a potential 2022 tournament to see all of the available players over a good sample close to the tournament.

Rayquaza64

McMichael>McDavid
May 30, 2019
Virginia
As things stand right now I'd take Doughty over any of them other than Pietrangelo when it comes to an international tournament. Doughty hasn't just been around the block - he's been consistently great for Canada at the WJC, then the world championships, then at the best on best level. His team has gone into the crapper lately though I just don't but that his ability suddenly eroded with no clear cause. Regardless, in an ideal situation there will be plenty of games before a potential 2022 tournament to see all of the available players over a good sample close to the tournament.
there is a cause:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
there is a cause:
Ah yes, the old curse of 30 year old defencemen without injury history going from elite to washed up. Foolish of me to forget. After all, the average age of Norris winners this century is a spry 29.95 and that doesn't look good for old man Doughty.

Last edited:
Reactions: ORRFForever

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Ah yes, the old curse of 30 year old defencemen without injury history going from elite to washed up. Foolish of me to forget. After all, the average age of Norris winners this century is a spy 29.95 and that doesn't look good for old man Doughty.
:thumbu:

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018

1 WHC 11 years ago. He was busy for 3 years of the decade that followed, but instead of sucking it up once or twice for the cause, he preferred hanging out with his pals in London playin pingpong and drinkin beers.

And I'm not surprised his ability suddenly eroded. I predicted it when he was 25 and at the top of his game. He certainly falls way short of Crosby's off-season dedication to his craft. and that is the cause. I would cut him no slack or give him any preferential treatment based on what he did between the ages of 19-26. but that's just me. If we get an NHL season and he manages to perform something like the younger version of Doughty, then he should be considered. but lacking that... I prefer moving on from Doughty. perhaps he was part of the problem why L.A. was crap and not the other way around.

Reactions: TheDoldrums
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad