Team Canada 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I don't like Huberdeau on the 1st line, I don't like the fact that O'Reilly is playing below Horvat or Dubois, and I don't like the omission of Couturier. Generally speaking I'm also not a fan of playmaking wingers, so while Marner would fit well on this team I'd probably move him down to the lineup to 13th/14th forward. Stamkos has a mixed international track record but fills a need on this team (namely, goal-scoring capability from the wing), and now adds a very competent 200-foot game and excellent faceoff ability. We're very light at the natural wing position (specifically, natural goal scorers at the wing position), so ultimately the likes of Stamkos and Scheifele will have to get moved over. Unfortunately 2022 is too early to reasonably project out Lafreniere on the senior team, and while acknowledging he was injured in the playoffs Seguin hasn't established himself as a lock for the these teams either - but has the exact skillset I'd look for at the wing position.

Button's defence looks really good, imo. The goaltending, well, it "is what it is".
Playing centers on the wings has worked for Canada and I have no problem sticking with the program.

Re : "Mixed"

You are being kind.

I wish I understood the love for Stamkos. I can see him now, wearing the Maple Leaf, banging his stick as he sits on the bench because he is UNABLE to score. :(

If we were any other country, I'd say fine, but we have so much depth. Leave him home !!! Bring someone younger / healthier who can perform in the moment.

86Habs

May 4, 2009
Similarly, I wish I understood your dislike for Stamkos. He had a poor 2016 World Cup, but has been good in two of his three World Championships appearances. He was coming off a down year in 2015-2016. He's picked up his play significantly since then and has been producing at an elite level over the course of the last three regular seasons. Linemates help of course, but there is no reason why him and Point couldn't hypothetically play together on the same line for Team Canada. The goal scoring ability, the skating ability, and things like being elite on faceoffs can't be overlooked when constructing a team. The big "if" for Stamkos is obviously health, but if he's 100% or anywhere close to it I'd like to see him make the team.

stewpac

Nov 30, 2015
despite the hate from non leaf fan canadians 2 of marner, Tavares and rielly will be there. Guaranteed

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
despite the hate from non leaf fan canadians 2 of marner, Tavares and rielly will be there. Guaranteed

Rielly for sure. Tavares on big ice might be a problem. Marner is arguably the best Canadian RW, but could get left off for Giroux-like reasons.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
My prediction:

Huberdeau - McDavid - MacKinnon
Marchand - Crosby - Bergeron
Stamkos - Point - Marner
Couturier - O'Reilly - Stone
Tavares/Scheifele

Rielly - Pietrangelo
Chabot - Makar
Theodore - Weber
Morrissey - Doughty

Price
Hart
Binnington

I could see the possible players working their way onto the team between now and 14 months from now when the team is picked:

Hall
Barzal
Lafreniere
Dubois
Hamilton
Kuemper
Jarry

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
When we lose because Tavares couldn't keep up, or Marner / Stamkos didn't pull their weight, we'll wish we brought someone else.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Similarly, I wish I understood your dislike for Stamkos. He had a poor 2016 World Cup, but has been good in two of his three World Championships appearances. He was coming off a down year in 2015-2016. He's picked up his play significantly since then and has been producing at an elite level over the course of the last three regular seasons. Linemates help of course, but there is no reason why him and Point couldn't hypothetically play together on the same line for Team Canada. The goal scoring ability, the skating ability, and things like being elite on faceoffs can't be overlooked when constructing a team. The big "if" for Stamkos is obviously health, but if he's 100% or anywhere close to it I'd like to see him make the team.
When I choose a player, I always look at past performance in big games and Stamkos has never been great in big games - and we've all seen what Marner does in the playoffs = nothing.

I have no doubt, just on points/reputation, both Marner and Stamkos will be there - if healthy. I also know that when the tournament is over and grades are given for player's performance, both Stamkos and Marner will be at the bottom.

Last edited:

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
I see almost everyone having McDavid play with MacKinnon but that just seems unnecessary to me, I'd much rather have each on their own line in addition to the Crosby line.

I disagree.

You can't have a guy like MacKinnon sitting on the third line getting leftover minutes. He's too gifted offensively and should be used to overpower other teams with McDavid.

In a bid to give MacKinnon longer shifts, you would end up leaving McDavid and Crosby on the bench.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I disagree.

You can't have a guy like MacKinnon sitting on the third line getting leftover minutes. He's too gifted offensively and should be used to overpower other teams with McDavid.

In a bid to give MacKinnon longer shifts, you would end up leaving McDavid and Crosby on the bench.

Team Canada generally rolls lines at even strength and then gives the top players more time through the powerplay. Sometimes the fourth line gets sacrificed a bit but regardless it's in no way like an NHL team where a third line player starts losing minutes. As things stand right now I agree with starting off with McDavid and MacKinnon on different lines.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Team Canada generally rolls lines at even strength and then gives the top players more time through the powerplay. Sometimes the fourth line gets sacrificed a bit but regardless it's in no way like an NHL team where a third line player starts losing minutes. As things stand right now I agree with starting off with McDavid and MacKinnon on different lines.
Agree.

Opposing coaches/players have often said that one of Canada's strengths is their ability to roll lines - one just as strong as the next. Share the wealth and wear the other teams down.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
I think any optimal lineup would have your best two Centers playing at Center.

So MacKinnon and McDavid would be the top 2 Centers, and you build from there.

86Habs

May 4, 2009
I'd have McDavid and MacKinnon centering separate lines, at least to start. Finding complementary wingers might prove a little challenging, but I see no reason why Point, Scheifele, O'Reilly, Stamkos, Dubois, etc. couldn't move over to the wing. Crosby/Bergeron/Marchand would be an elite 2-way third line, and would get the majority of defensive zone starts. My fourth line would consist of the likes of Couturier and Stone, guys that can buy-in and execute on the system while keeping it tight defensively.

O'Reilly / McDavid / Scheifele
Stamkos / MacKinnon / Point
Marchand / Crosby / Bergeron
Dubois / Couturier / Stone
Horvat, Marner

O'Reilly's game complements McDavid quite well imo. If McDavid has a weakness its his faceoff ability (same as MacKinnon), so having O'Reilly there to take draws, assume the center's responsibilities in the defensive zone, and do the dirty work along the boards is necessary. O'Reilly is playoff-tested, and has been the top forward on a Cup-winning team. Scheifele is a good finisher who doesn't necessarily need the puck on his stick to generate offense, and it that would also be complementary to McDavid. On the second line I'd keep Stamkos on a short leash, but if he's at the top of his game like he has been in recent regular seasons I see no reason why he couldn't contribute in a top-six scoring role. Dubois and Horvat are nice options to have at LW if Stamkos fails to live up to expectations. Point is obviously a lock at this point but will probably need to move to the wing to stay in the top 6.

Reactions: Hagstrom

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I'd have McDavid and MacKinnon centering separate lines, at least to start. Finding complementary wingers might prove a little challenging, but I see no reason why Point, Scheifele, O'Reilly, Stamkos, Dubois, etc. couldn't move over to the wing. Crosby/Bergeron/Marchand would be an elite 2-way third line, and would get the majority of defensive zone starts. My fourth line would consist of the likes of Couturier and Stone, guys that can buy-in and execute on the system while keeping it tight defensively.

Horvat, Marner

O'Reilly's game complements McDavid quite well imo. If McDavid has a weakness its his faceoff ability (same as MacKinnon), so having O'Reilly there to take draws, assume the center's responsibilities in the defensive zone, and do the dirty work along the boards is necessary. O'Reilly is playoff-tested, and has been the top forward on a Cup-winning team. Scheifele is a good finisher who doesn't necessarily need the puck on his stick to generate offense, and it that would also be complementary to McDavid. On the second line I'd keep Stamkos on a short leash, but if he's at the top of his game like he has been in recent regular seasons I see no reason why he couldn't contribute in a top-six scoring role. Dubois and Horvat are nice options to have at LW if Stamkos fails to live up to expectations. Point is obviously a lock at this point but will probably need to move to the wing to stay in the top 6.
Scary to have that as our 3rd line. Wow!

I like Marner being moved down the list. I still think we will regret Stamkos.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018

Horvat, Marner

your reasoning is sound. you convinced me. I had had Nate on McDavid's RW. but you sold me on your roster....

except for Dubois/Horvat. not A team material just yet. close, but not there yet.

86Habs

May 4, 2009
your reasoning is sound. you convinced me. I had had Nate on McDavid's RW. but you sold me on your roster....

except for Dubois/Horvat. not A team material just yet. close, but not there yet.

We lack depth at LW and there is a fair bit of projection involved in looking ahead to February 2022, which is why I am looking seriously at Dubois and Horvat. Benn is still worthy of consideration, but appears to be declining and its probably time to turn the page on him. Giroux is still very good, and adds a nice defensive dimension and faceoff and penalty-killing ability. However, he is primarily a playmaker and my personal preference (and which is likely shared by Hockey Canada, given Giroux's omission from the 2014 team and his very limited involvement in the 2016 World Cup) is that playmakers are best deployed at center. I thought about Huberdeau; he's a natural winger, which is nice, but really only fits in the top 6. Given he hasn't been playoff tested extensively, I don't like him for the top 6. Both Horvat and Dubois are big guys, good skaters, with good pedigrees, that imo can step in and contribute in limited roles on this team. If you'll recall the Babcock era the fourth line generally received limited minutes as the tournament progresses, which I would imagine would be the case in 2022 as well. The other option is bringing in someone like Toews for a fourth line role, which is certainly feasible as he's still playing at a reasonably high level. It would be a little weird seeing Toews playing a limited role (when he was arguably Canada's best forward in both 2010 and 2014), and that's a big part of the reason why I like young guys in the fourth line role...you're bringing in new blood in low-risk roles and giving them a chance to succeed.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada

Horvat, Marner

Gosh I really don't like that lineup. It would look better on NHL ice I guess. Feels like it's trying too hard to fit roles and lean on vets like 2006. Schiefele as 1st line winger? I don't get it. He's not a natural winger, not great defensively. Not special offensively compared to other options either. I think on the larger ice and after another year of maturing that Marner and Barzal should be big parts of the team.

Last edited:

86Habs

May 4, 2009
Gosh I really don't like that lineup. It would look better on NHL ice I guess. Feels like it's trying too hard to fit roles and lean on vets like 2006. Schiefele as 1st line winger? I don't get it. He's not a natural winger, not great defensively. Not special offensively compared to other options either. I think on the larger ice and after another year of maturing that Marner and Barzal should be big parts of the team.

Eh, I think there is actually a good amount of turnover from the 2016 World Cup team. Only five returnees at forward (Crosby, Marchand, Bergeron, Stamkos) and I don't think you could really argue with any of those guys (although obviously Stamkos's health is an ongoing concern and Bergeron will be 36 years old in February 2022...so no guarantee that he'll be performing at the same level by that point). Who are the better options in the top 6? Because admittedly I'm not in love with the wingers on this roster, but I didn't feel like, say, Marner or Huberdeau would complement McDavid's game all that well relative to Scheifele. I think Marner deserves a spot on this roster and in my mind could even look really good alongside Crosby if Bergeron isn't up to snuff, but I'm not sure if he and McDavid would mesh given their different pacing and style of play. That's what training camp is for I guess. W/r/t Barzal it would be a reasonable take to swap him in as an extra forward for Dubois or Horvat on skating ability alone, but I'd need to see a little more progression before I penciled him in to my lineup personally. Duchene is/was a similar player and had a positive impact on the 2014 team when he came in to replace Tavares, so Barzal would be a reasonable selection if you considered Dubois and Horvat somewhat redundant and you wanted the optionality of injecting some speed into the lineup.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
As we turn the page on the Golden Generation, we will be replacing players who never let us down and seldom screwed up - God bless that 2005 World Junior Team.

If Bergeron falls off and Toews doesn't find a 2nd life, who's left from the Golden Generation (2005 - 2009 drafts) using 86Habs picks?...

Horvat, Marner

There's Crosby, Marchand and O'Reilly and that's it - I did not include Stamkos because, well, no young player should be using him as an example in a big game.

We need to move on but I hope both Toews (unlikely) and Bergeron (maybe) are playing at a level where they can be included until this new generation gets a tournament (or two) under their belt.

As always, I'd leave Stamkos and Marner off the team - I'd give up their NHL points for reliability.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad