Team 1040 vs CKNW 980 ( Dan Russell, Tyler Green, Joe Leary, Paul Debron Fired)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Really spector?.

The best radio guy maybe in canada is Pat steinberg, and it's not even remotely close.

Jefe88

Jun 20, 2012
Port Coquitlam
Listening to Russel was like going on HF after we lost, except he was like that all the time. Sky is falling, blow it up. Glad he's gone

King of the ES*

Listening to Russel was like going on HF after we lost, except he was like that all the time. Sky is falling, blow it up. Glad he's gone

Yeah, heaven forbid anybody voice their concerns with this powerhouse .500 hockey team, right?

Dan voices valid concerns, always has, and he's practically the only guy that doesn't pander to the local fanboys who only want to hear how great their team is, and how any losses are to be blamed on the referees and/or a tough travel schedule.

Love Team1040, but the guys are very rarely critical of the Canucks. That bench minor that AV got was a topic of discussion for days, like that was somehow the only reason that they lost to the Calgary Flames. Pretty ridiculous.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Yeah, heaven forbid anybody voice their concerns with this powerhouse .500 hockey team, right?
Right, like Danny Boy was different when the Canucks were winning the President trophy with ease or going to the Finals.;)

It's one thing not being a cheerleader for the team - it's another finding fault in everything they did - it's like the Bizarro version of a team flunky - it's equally as bad. So cut the "telling like it is bull****".:shakehead

SgtToody

Mar 16, 2013
Russell just wouldn't let that 'snub' go. After losing the PbP job he had a huge hate-on, and anything the club did was either j
Lucky or terrible. He suddenly became a hugh fan of Nonis - who admittedly did leave some good pieces here. My guess this has less to do with a change in direction or aim at getting in the Canucks good books (although I bet that's what DR thinks) than with all the money the Sports Talk program cost. I hate Pratt and his rambling lunges into politics, haven't warmed up to Sheldon's stating the obvious (although I enjoy when someone gets under his thin skin) and find most Team talkers Ok; botch ford is a smarter, less self-obsessed Pratt; Macdonald is insightful and clever, Taylor's hot and cold, and the Moj is a windbag who doesn't need his realtor/tackling dummy to turn the talk to football...

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
Some guy on team1040 just called and said they should trade the sedins and put kassian on 1st line.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Some guy on team1040 just called and said they should trade the sedins and put kassian on 1st line.

It was a silly proposition, yes, but if Jeff Paterson was really a professional radio host he would have let the guy finish his piece. No matter how silly the ideas, you don't just hang up on callers like that just because you disagree with them. Paterson game off like a little girl there.

NucksOnly

Go Whitecaps & Lions
Sep 6, 2004
Vancouver
Agree with Rev May, I stopped listening regularly when Pratt left. Bmac is not funny and Taylor is plain terrible. "Oh hey look! I'm 13 I'm going to make you laugh while you're doing a promo EVERY single time! Because its funny to nobody but us!"

Same here. Stop listening when Pratt left at least he was entertaining. I don't mind the morning show, the mid show has it moments, and afternoon show is just horrible, the same old schtick over and over.

I catch myself on the 1410 a lot more now for Whitecaps, NFL talk. GO 49ers!

WinterEmpire

Unregistered User
Mar 20, 2011
Vancouver
I listened to 980 post game tonight for the first time in a long time. It was Brooke Ward and someone else. It was certainly a breath of fresh air. They actually had a conversation with a caller about the possibility of bringing up Jensen if Booth is out for a while, and they talked about prospects like Kellan Lain.

I was shocked, such a departure from 1040's standard tripe.

StIllmatic

Mar 27, 2010
Vancouver
I listened to 980 post game tonight for the first time in a long time. It was Brooke Ward and someone else. It was certainly a breath of fresh air. They actually had a conversation with a caller about the possibility of bringing up Jensen if Booth is out for a while, and they talked about prospects like Kellan Lain.

Yea, I listened as well too and enjoyed it.

LolClarkson*

It was a silly proposition, yes, but if Jeff Paterson was really a professional radio host he would have let the guy finish his piece. No matter how silly the ideas, you don't just hang up on callers like that just because you disagree with them. Paterson game off like a little girl there.

He suspected it was a troll from Calgary. The call was from Calgary

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008

Oh no I have been found out! :naughty:

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
How much Spector have you even heard ? Forget his columns.

Mostly from his sportset online gigs, but honestly his twitter is trash and so are his columns.

As for radio, I have not heard him much at all.

medgett

Oct 1, 2007
Coquitlam, BC
I feel like I should give this Dan Sheldon guy a chance, but Dan Russell was flat out unlistenable, if that's a word. If it isn't, it should be and it should have a picture of him next to it in the dictionary. I'm definitely open to it since Blake Price is horrible.

The problem with 1040 is these career broadcaster guys who really have no discernable expertise on the game, but somehow profess to know the situation beyond what any of the listeners can comprehend. I listen to 1040 mostly because they get the top insiders (Ferraro, LeBrun, McGuire, McKenzie, etc.) that do provide insight into the plight of the canucks or issues around the league. The only host I like currently is Sekeres. He's a good journalist and he approaches issues that way. He perceives what he thinks may be an issue and he poses questions to provoke interaction with the listeners and also to get feedback from actual experts. When it comes to things he really does have some knowledge on he offers his own opinions. The other thing is that he clearly goes outside the box to try to make the show more interesting. Things like the sports documentary show, presidents week, the Brian Williams hour, and the fan feedback segments like memo to and tell me im wrong. Like him or not, the guy at least has some originality and intelligence.

Taylor is alright as well. He doesn't pretend to be an expert and he provides some comedy as well. He can be a bit glib from time to time, but lets be honest, there's very little sports discussion that actually goes on in the afternoon and with those two, that's probably for the best. The guys that really irritate me are the following:

Rintoul: Mr. Pedestrian. I'm pretty sure this guy hasn't said anything interesting ever. His need to provide some cute little segue or pun into every commercial break is so frustrating. Seriously, this guy is like 20 years into his career and he still comes off like a 2nd year BCIT radio student. He also has a tendency to come out really aggressively on a take that no one really cares about or has any opposition to and he treats like he's being really controversial.

Price: Nothing that hasn't been said. Rude to callers, really glib and arrogant. Seriously the guy is like a div 5 beer leaguer and criticizes players as though he's been there.

Chapman: He's just so pompous! What has this guy ever done to earn a spot hosting one of these shows? He's boring, has no expertise, and really has no experience broadcasting. Could they find no one qualified to take the 6-8am shift?

B Mac: I actually liked him when he was the clown on the morning show, but since he moved to the afternoon time slot, he's either a 12 year old boy when Taylor's around or a blowhard journalist when he's on his own.

Jeff Paterson: What a jackass

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
That Sheldon guy seems kinda bush league to me.

I enjoy the team, although Price and Pattersion (Price for sure) are annoying with there anti-canuck thing, trying to act all objective.

I do like listening to B-mac and Taylor, and the morning show. I also like how they get all the best guests on. Post game is bad though, really bad

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
That Sheldon guy seems kinda bush league to me.

I enjoy the team, although Price and Pattersion (Price for sure) are annoying with there anti-canuck thing, trying to act all objective.

I do like listening to B-mac and Taylor, and the morning show. I also like how they get all the best guests on. Post game is bad though, really bad

Why is he bush league? Because he is honest?. He tells what people are afraid to ask.

For example the other night sheldon was talking about how some of the blame has to go 2 gillis with a few decisions he made, especially a few trades (like the hodgson one). Do you see team1040 flat out say that about gillis? no they jump around the bushes.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Why is he bush league? Because he is honest?. He tells what people are afraid to ask.

For example the other night sheldon was talking about how some of the blame has to go 2 gillis with a few decisions he made, especially a few trades (like the hodgson one). Do you see team1040 flat out say that about gillis? no they jump around the bushes.
He just doesn't seem to think about things beyond the here and now, and into depth.

It's great to say "Just trade a goalie" or "Its MG's fault that we traded Cody"

But there are alot of variables and things you have to consider, both now and the effect this will have down the road. (Which is also some of the issues I see with posters here and on CDC)

And I don't think he does that, I listened to him once for about an hour or 2.

I'll give him another shot, as he wasn't that bad.

But I do like the Team better.

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
He just doesn't seem to think about things beyond the here and now, and into depth.

It's great to say "Just trade a goalie" or "Its MG's fault that we traded Cody"

But there are alot of variables and things you have to consider, both now and the effect this will have down the road. (Which is also some of the issues I see with posters here and on CDC)

And I don't think he does that, I listened to him once for about an hour or 2.

I'll give him another shot, as he wasn't that bad.

But I do like the Team better.

Ahh I see, all is good brotha, Should be interesting if CKNW ever gets the canucks rights back

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam

I like him because he replies to emails and reads them on air :)

SgtToody

Mar 16, 2013
Joey kenward won the lottery that Dan Russell kept playing for years. JK has worked hard and that's his strength, but I find it a stretch to listen to him after hearing the likes of Shorthouse or Ball call the game.

I also don't understand the great hate people have for Price and Paterson. Sure, Price comes across as slightly negative - which is refreshing in this market, but he does back up his issues with tangent if not debatable points. Paterson has that ol' AM radio delivery, but he's knowledgeable, self deprecating and sharp a lot of the times. Like any of us could do any better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad