Team 1040 vs CKNW 980 ( Dan Russell, Tyler Green, Joe Leary, Paul Debron Fired)

Status
Not open for further replies.

enuck

Relax and enjoy
Jan 20, 2007
Under a palapa
As bad as Pratt can make me facepalm at times, at the very least I find him entertaining. I told everyone Pratt leaving 1040 would have them take a big hit. Personally, I stopped listening regularly that November.

As did I, Pratt was the only reason I tuned in, I had lost all respect for Don Taylor when he trashed Naslund by suggesting he threw his team mates under the bus. Nice parting words for one of our greatest players Donnie. :shakehead

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
So dan is back tonight on NW... saying he was off last week because of largengitus...hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm then he went on a long rant about hating lemons.. it was odd.

He has yet to say anything about being fired.

rye&ginger

Jan 4, 2004
Vancouver
The evening shows are generally not that good, so I cant say much about NW. Dont have time in the evenings anyway. Price is ok in the daytime I find, he has toned down the off hand comments about the Canucks.

I like Sekeres in the day time, he does his research and knows more than just hockey, which he uses to compare to hockey often. It brings in new ideas.

Much better than people like Lalji making simple statements like 'Ehrhoff would help the PP alot, bit mistake, Gillis needs to fix that' etc. Ehrhoff has 2 goals, 10 assists and plays on the worse PP in the NHL. Doesnt seem like he is the answer, is he?

LolClarkson*

Chapman: He's just so pompous! What has this guy ever done to earn a spot hosting one of these shows? He's boring, has no expertise, and really has no experience broadcasting. Could they find no one qualified to take the 6-8am shift?

B Mac: I actually liked him when he was the clown on the morning show, but since he moved to the afternoon time slot, he's either a 12 year old boy when Taylor's around or a blowhard journalist when he's on his own.

Jeff Paterson: What a jackass

Jeff Paterson is a huge NHL fan. That is what I like about him. He knows the cap well, he knows the rules of the game, he knows the personalities. He has some witty metaphors.

He is in for Bmac and that's the only reason I am not listening to TEAM 1260 Edmonton who talk more Canucks then 1040 does a lot of the time.

LolClarkson*

Why is he bush league? Because he is honest?. He tells what people are afraid to ask.

For example the other night sheldon was talking about how some of the blame has to go 2 gillis with a few decisions he made, especially a few trades (like the hodgson one). Do you see team1040 flat out say that about gillis? no they jump around the bushes.

Patterson and Taylor just pointed out that Booth and Ballard are buyout candidates and Mike Gillis went out of his way to get them.

JA

Jeff Paterson is a huge NHL fan. That is what I like about him. He knows the cap well, he knows the rules of the game, he knows the personalities. He has some witty metaphors.

He is in for Bmac and that's the only reason I am not listening to TEAM 1260 Edmonton who talk more Canucks then 1040 does a lot of the time.

He tries much too hard to use that whiny voice of his, though. He can speak like a normal person, but... doesn't. He wants to stretch every third syllable and raise the pitch of his voice whenever he can:

daniel2055

Feb 25, 2010
To be fair, they're not firing Russell, they're just not renewing his contract. OTOH, Russell not being renewed is something in the area of 15 years too late. His sell-by date was around the time Scott Oake had a full head of hair.

He was informed that when his contract expired it would not be renewed. It’s not a firing as in "termination with cause", but a termination just the same.

Panj

Mar 27, 2013
I only listen to CKNW when TEAM is on a commercial break. I find the pauses annoying but they probably have nothing to say.

TheDiver*

Russell has an interesting past...

He started on CJOR radio in 1984. He later moved to CKNW's sister station CFMI in 1989 and did his show on FM radio. He was also the play-by-play guy for the WHL New Westminster Bruins. Then in the mid 1990s, he did play-by-play for the Seattle Thunderbirds.

In the Summer of 1994, when Canucks play-by-play legend Jim Robson retired, Russell was championed by the Canucks when CKNW looked for a replacement for Robson on its radio broadcasts. But 'NW got their man: high-profile TSN voice Jim Hughson, and no one else was seriously considered.

Robson was still going to do local TV games on BCTV. His color man candidates were : Darcy Rota, Garry Monahan, Ryan Walter, Squire Barnes and Dan Russell. Monahan had been fired as a host after the Canucks thought he was too critical. Rota got the job, and in my opinion SUCKED at it. Russell and Walter were finalists.

During this tryout process, Kent Gilchrist from the Province, who hated Pat Quinn, Brian Burke, and Russell who had Burke on regularly, and wrote about them for years attached Russell as a finalist as a color man. After a lengthy attack on Gilchrist and a defence of his credentials one night on Sportstalk, Russell opened up the phone lines. He then got ambushed by a caller who, after buttering Russell up, concluded his comments by saying he had two words of advice for Dan if he was serious about a future in television: "Jenny Craig.'' Russell was left speechless.

In 1995, some of the Canucks players wouldn't talk to Russell because of his pro-management stance during the NHL lockout. The Province newspaper (again Gallagher and Gilchrist who were anti-Quinn and Burke vs Dan Russell) reported that Russell didnt get the color job because Canuck players hated him. Russell attacked them on his show saying the Province newspaper was lying...

Then Canucks ownership changed...

IN 1997, he got a chance to do 4 pay per view Canucks games. The next season, Orca Bay wanted him back, but there was a conflict. His complaints on-air following Pat Quinn's firing got up some Orca Bay noses. Russell clained he was told many times by various Orca Bay personnel that he did an outstanding job. But said "I was insulted when they told me I'd be part of an audition process. If I did such great work for them last year, why should I have to audition this time around?"

Orca Bay offered him 2 games PPV audition games and he refused and stayed with the T-Birds. John Shorthouse and American import Michael Goldberg got the PPV gigs.

A couple years later, Russell was fired by CKNW...some reported because he was too hard on the Canucks, and his old buddy Brian Burke had a rift with him.
Burke denied it saying: "Dan Russell was fired by CKNW. Everyone assumes I had something to do with that. I can assure you, I didn't. The big fight with CKNW was not over what Dan did or said, it was over the use of comments or quotes out of context. [Sports anchor] Neil Macrae said on the air: 'You're not going to tell us what we can do with our own programming.' I said: 'Darn right I can tell you.' We just said there were going to be rules, here, and you're going to use things in context. That was the fight with CKNW."

Russell defended Burke saying: "I know Brian. He was on my show every week for five years. I would never call him a bully."

Russell was replaced by TV Host Don Taylor, who scored big ratings (despite his show sucking). Taylor rook a job with Sportsnet within a year, saying he didn't enjoy radio: "You've got to be - and I'm not by nature - cranky. You kind of need that, need to be a *****."

Meanwhile, Russell was breaking new ground, doing a video/radio webcast at mycityradio.com. He had signed a deal to join a new 24 hour sports station called TEAM 1040. However, when CKNW offered to hire him back, Russell, who had been sharing the morning slot with Bill Courage on 1040, a mix that was taking time to blend, and 1040 amicably left the contract aside, and Russell was back on 980. Russell agreed to a five-year guaranteed million dollar contract at $200,000 per.

In 2006, the Canucks radio rights left CKNW for the first time and went to TEAM 1040.

The next year, the Aquilinis bought the Canucks. Russell referred to TEAM 1040 as "house radio" (there's more to this including the rift between, Aquilini, the Beedie and Gaglardi groups, Brian Burke, Nonis, etc). He criticizes Gallagher (from the Province) and Pratt (from the TEAM) as Canucks conspiracy theorists, and has sided with the Vancouver Sun newspaper instead.

Russell is one of the Canucks organization's biggest critics, and even says play-by-play man John Shorthouse chooses to be a "Shill" for the Canucks, and criticized Gillis' alleged role in firing Tom Larscheid.

Not the first time he's been let go.

DustyMartellaughs

Flashing the leather.
Jun 12, 2009
Dawson Creek, BC
It was me who made the Jenny Craig call. Nothing is worse than a reformed anything, and Russell went being the biggest kisser of Canuck butt to its most strident critic. He's a buffoon.

DustyMartellaughs

Flashing the leather.
Jun 12, 2009
Dawson Creek, BC
I also got Burke REALLY mad in the early Nibeties when I asked him, on Russell's show, if he thought a Daley cap would be implemented when free agency becomes a right of players with tenure in the League. He swore (bleeped) and then then called me an idiot for thinking free agency would ever happen in the NHL. He said it never would, as it would sound the death knell. When I tried to reply, Russell's producer ended the call. There has never in this market been "house radio" like Russell's show when he thought he was going to get the PBP job.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
big ry is so damn bad its amazing, I laugh every segment

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
It was me who made the Jenny Craig call. Nothing is worse than a reformed anything, and Russell went being the biggest kisser of Canuck butt to its most strident critic. He's a buffoon.

Heck, I have even more respect for lifelong critics of the Canucks than a "jilted lover"....

LolClarkson*

Russell has an interesting past...

He started on CJOR radio in 1984. He later moved to CKNW's sister station CFMI in 1989 and did his show on FM radio. He was also the play-by-play guy for the WHL New Westminster Bruins. Then in the mid 1990s, he did play-by-play for the Seattle Thunderbirds.

In the Summer of 1994, when Canucks play-by-play legend Jim Robson retired, Russell was championed by the Canucks when CKNW looked for a replacement for Robson on its radio broadcasts. But 'NW got their man: high-profile TSN voice Jim Hughson, and no one else was seriously considered.

Robson was still going to do local TV games on BCTV. His color man candidates were : Darcy Rota, Garry Monahan, Ryan Walter, Squire Barnes and Dan Russell. Monahan had been fired as a host after the Canucks thought he was too critical. Rota got the job, and in my opinion SUCKED at it. Russell and Walter were finalists.

During this tryout process, Kent Gilchrist from the Province, who hated Pat Quinn, Brian Burke, and Russell who had Burke on regularly, and wrote about them for years attached Russell as a finalist as a color man. After a lengthy attack on Gilchrist and a defence of his credentials one night on Sportstalk, Russell opened up the phone lines. He then got ambushed by a caller who, after buttering Russell up, concluded his comments by saying he had two words of advice for Dan if he was serious about a future in television: "Jenny Craig.'' Russell was left speechless.

In 1995, some of the Canucks players wouldn't talk to Russell because of his pro-management stance during the NHL lockout. The Province newspaper (again Gallagher and Gilchrist who were anti-Quinn and Burke vs Dan Russell) reported that Russell didnt get the color job because Canuck players hated him. Russell attacked them on his show saying the Province newspaper was lying...

Then Canucks ownership changed...

IN 1997, he got a chance to do 4 pay per view Canucks games. The next season, Orca Bay wanted him back, but there was a conflict. His complaints on-air following Pat Quinn's firing got up some Orca Bay noses. Russell clained he was told many times by various Orca Bay personnel that he did an outstanding job. But said "I was insulted when they told me I'd be part of an audition process. If I did such great work for them last year, why should I have to audition this time around?"

Orca Bay offered him 2 games PPV audition games and he refused and stayed with the T-Birds. John Shorthouse and American import Michael Goldberg got the PPV gigs.

A couple years later, Russell was fired by CKNW...some reported because he was too hard on the Canucks, and his old buddy Brian Burke had a rift with him.
Burke denied it saying: "Dan Russell was fired by CKNW. Everyone assumes I had something to do with that. I can assure you, I didn't. The big fight with CKNW was not over what Dan did or said, it was over the use of comments or quotes out of context. [Sports anchor] Neil Macrae said on the air: 'You're not going to tell us what we can do with our own programming.' I said: 'Darn right I can tell you.' We just said there were going to be rules, here, and you're going to use things in context. That was the fight with CKNW."

Russell defended Burke saying: "I know Brian. He was on my show every week for five years. I would never call him a bully."

Russell was replaced by TV Host Don Taylor, who scored big ratings (despite his show sucking). Taylor rook a job with Sportsnet within a year, saying he didn't enjoy radio: "You've got to be - and I'm not by nature - cranky. You kind of need that, need to be a *****."

Meanwhile, Russell was breaking new ground, doing a video/radio webcast at mycityradio.com. He had signed a deal to join a new 24 hour sports station called TEAM 1040. However, when CKNW offered to hire him back, Russell, who had been sharing the morning slot with Bill Courage on 1040, a mix that was taking time to blend, and 1040 amicably left the contract aside, and Russell was back on 980. Russell agreed to a five-year guaranteed million dollar contract at $200,000 per.

In 2006, the Canucks radio rights left CKNW for the first time and went to TEAM 1040.

The next year, the Aquilinis bought the Canucks. Russell referred to TEAM 1040 as "house radio" (there's more to this including the rift between, Aquilini, the Beedie and Gaglardi groups, Brian Burke, Nonis, etc). He criticizes Gallagher (from the Province) and Pratt (from the TEAM) as Canucks conspiracy theorists, and has sided with the Vancouver Sun newspaper instead.

Russell is one of the Canucks organization's biggest critics, and even says play-by-play man John Shorthouse chooses to be a "Shill" for the Canucks, and criticized Gillis' alleged role in firing Tom Larscheid.

Not the first time he's been let go.
I thought TEAM 1040 was a creation of Dave Pratts

Pratt had a show way back in the 90's to I remember...I don't know what station.

TheDiver*

I thought TEAM 1040 was a creation of Dave Pratts

Pratt had a show way back in the 90's to I remember...I don't know what station.

Yes it was on CKWX which was then a Country radio station. I think it was called the Sports Machine or something. He was also on CHRX.

LuongosTirePump

Mar 4, 2011
Canada
Tell Me I'm Wrong anyone? I actually really enjoy this segment, definitely enjoy contributing to that. Anyone here a regular caller (on either station)?

FloydTheBarber

Aug 10, 2006
Finally listened to a later afternoon show, how did this Big Ry the Twitter guy get the main gig as producer at his age?

TEAM 1040 is going downhill fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad