Team 1040 vs CKNW 980 ( Dan Russell, Tyler Green, Joe Leary, Paul Debron Fired)

Status
Not open for further replies.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Don't think it is that difficult to be better than Price and Patterson but CKNW has big axe to grind against the Canucks and seems to be critical of the team no matter what. Right now they are outright rejoicing.

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
as dan russell likes to say, TEAM 1040 is house radio. you are not allowed to say a single bad thing about mike gillis or you will get the larscheid treatment. it was hilarious hearing them skirt around questions about gillis when callers brought it up.
It takes some real cojones for NW to be calling 1040 house radio after they were the kings of house radio for nearly 40 years and the biggest butt-kisser was none other than their superstar, Dan Russell. Well, that is until Russell was (rightly) passed over for the PBP job in favour of Shorthouse and NW eventually lost the Canucks contract to 1040.

It's a shame Sheldon can't take over for him full-time. Russell's a bitter old hack who can barely contain his glee after a Canucks loss. Same goes for Brook Ward. Ugh. Can we stop recycling failed radio hosts in this town already? Is there no new talent available? Can they not try out one of the kids from BCIT or something?

Last edited:

LolClarkson*

So much better than 1040 it's funny. They are engaged and talk about topics in-depth, fair to callers, etc.

And I like Pratt.

Jeff Patterson is a good host. He's good at critiquing losses and wins. I don't listen for the callers

Derp Kassian

Jul 14, 2012
Vancouver
Don't think it is that difficult to be better than Price and Patterson but CKNW has big axe to grind against the Canucks and seems to be critical of the team no matter what. Right now they are outright rejoicing.

Sheldon was very good tonight I must admit, 3 straight hours of calls and 1040 only did until 9.. Price is unbearable to listen to

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Jeff Patterson is a good host. He's good at critiquing losses and wins. I don't listen for the callers

Blake price is the real problem.

I think they said that CKNW had 52 callers tonight, 3 hours straight with no interviews or anything.

Golden stuff

YouCantYandleThis*

Save yourself some braincells and don't listen to those idiots talk.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
My only qualms with Jeff Paterson is his voice, it seems fake like it's his 'radio' voice.

I enjoy the morning show and the afternoon show, and can stomach the mid day show.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
980 was not much better than 1040 to be honest. Some of the stuff they were coming up with tonight left me thinking they're just as "reactionary".

HankieDankie

Feb 24, 2012
Vancouver
I listen sometimes, and Team1040 is just full of people who have no idea what they are talking about.

Matt Sekeres is the biggest idiot I've ever had the misfortune of listening to.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Sekeras has a face for radio, unfortunately he has a voice that is awful and nasally. They do have good segments such as 'tell me i'm wrong' and 'memo to' though. Blake Price can be down right annoying.

Some of the lesser guys on team1040 are better to listen to such as when Ian Mcletchie steps in or matt baker, or even listening to jeff paterson on the weekend show. I like when the moj has conversations with jeremy roenick. I also get a kick out of how ornery ray ferraro can be.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I just can't believe people enjoy a caller filled canuck post game show!

I would put a gun to my head before i could get through 20 mins of calls after a loss.
post game knee jerk fans (especially after loss!) on the radio has got to be the poorest representation of IQ.. sense.. logic... etc, etc..
Just bad.. I don't know how fans could handle it.

I've clicked on Calgary's local radio after they got blown out once this year - for a laugh at their fans losing their minds (was told to check it out by a flames fan friend of mine).. I imagine it wasn't much different last night?

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013

I would put a gun to my head before i could get through 20 mins of calls after a loss.
post game knee jerk fans (especially after loss!) on the radio has got to be the poorest representation of IQ.. sense.. logic... etc, etc..

I've clicked on Calgary's local radio after they got blown out once this year - for a laugh at their fans losing their minds (was told to check it out by a flames fan friend of mine).. I imagine it wasn't much different last night?

Misery loves company :dunno:

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
I usually only throw sports radio on if I'm in the garage working on the car, or if I happen to be away from home during game time. I didnt even know 980 still did a postgame show. I can barely stand anyone on 1040 but I'm really happy Pratt isn't there anymore. If I ever saw him in person, I'd punch him in the neck.

I miss Jim Robson on 980 :(. We used to mute the TV and play the radio audio instead just to hear him

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012

I have never listened to this station (cknw as I i dont live in bc) other then last night so my history of the show is one evening with a guy hosting I dont think yourself or anyone else has ever heard of, but if your one of those fans that thinks everything fine in canuck land and we will simply turn it around as we are tied for the last playoff spot and could be out by tomorrow then no, you probably would not like last nights show.

Alot of the discussion was a coaching change (i agree) or gillis moving a goalie for a 3rd line center or something to address issues down the middle. Idiotic callers or suggestions were identified and made aware that they were way off base.

Btw I live near calgary and if you think its hilarious the callers loosing there minds after that fan base has struggled to make playoffs year after year, refusing to trade an aging core that has never got it done and has nothing to show for it with missed playoff chances constantly, and a poorly run franchise in general, then I dont know what to tell you, that fan base deserves to be angry. It would be a nightmare to be a flames fan and that fan base should be upset. And I hate the flames.

I actually listen to a team for a laugh, and some of them are not knee jerk reactions (if they are they are usually stupid suggestions) but many also defend the canucks with absurd counter arguments or people telling station that we will pick it up come playoff time just like last year and everyone is overreacting.

Last edited:

YouppiKiYay

Jul 3, 2011
Bellingham, WA
I often wonder what I will hear first on sports radio -- an insightful call during an open phone segment or insightful comments from a pro athlete. Next time for either will be the first time.

Wheatley

We Rabite You
Sep 24, 2010
CKNW is such a garbage station. The Canucks could be on a 20 game winning streak and they'd still find something to complain about.

The reason why Team 1040 cuts people off and laughs at them is because 95% of the callers are ABSOLUTE MORONS who have absolutely nothing intelligent to say, and more often than not sound like drunk 40 somethings from Langley who are just trying to kill time before they pass out since their wife left them and they can only see their kids every other weekend.

The fact the shows are less than 2 hours long is their way of being merciful to the small percentage of their listeners who are still somewhat sane and would just like to listen to something that half way resembles intelligent sports commentary.

If fact, I don't recommend listening to much sports radio at all. I come away from the experience feeling way dumber, and my faith in humanity lessened.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
I agree with most of that, the team callers are just awful i joke about it constantly on this forum, but the reason we enjoyed cknw last night is because dave sheldon did a good job addressing those idiotic callers and calling them out when they made absurd points. And they had a few good callers, one of them from hfboards.

That was my first time listening to cknw station and dave sheldon was much better then anything i heard on the team, when callers made absurd points he would call them out on it. I dont know who pratt or dan russell is and never heard them before.

Either way the majority of the callers that i hear call into the team are embarrassing, and alot of them are canuck defenders. I was discussing with y2k someone he knew who said av was a good coach because he sits the best players???

Last edited:

Alexistheman

Jun 28, 2007
Surrey
Don't listen to either, just graze over twitter, if anything big comes up, it will be there. Could care less what some bozos on the radio think. Mind you, I quite enjoy BMac, and the morning guys as well, although, Botch is rather annoying and condescending, but thats his schtick so whatever.

LiquidSnake

Jun 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Jeff Patterson and Price deserve to be unemployed or doing post game for some ECHL team that nobody cares about. Let alone a NHL team in Canada.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
It takes some real cojones for NW to be calling 1040 house radio after they were the kings of house radio for nearly 40 years and the biggest butt-kisser was none other than their superstar, Dan Russell. Well, that is until Russell was (rightly) passed over for the PBP job in favour of Shorthouse and NW eventually lost the Canucks contract to 1040.
He really had his head so far up Quinn's you know what during that time - even during the "nadir point" of the regime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad