Team 1040 vs CKNW 980 ( Dan Russell, Tyler Green, Joe Leary, Paul Debron Fired)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SgtToody

Mar 16, 2013
More than that, he seems to have somehow turned David Pratt - the biggest no-nothing blowhard moron ever to grace this market, and that's saying something - into the 'knowledgeable guy' by comparison. Really a feat for the ages.

Amazing- now if "the Champ" would just punch the blowhard's lights out....

Betamax*

Amazing- now if "the Champ" would just punch the blowhard's lights out....

I would much rather prefer "The Champ" to do a self KO so they don't have to broadcast his vignettes on a daily basis!

:handclap:

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
I would much rather prefer "The Champ" to do a self KO so they don't have to broadcast his vignettes on a daily basis!

:handclap:
"They said 'CHAMP, your shtick was tired in 1986 and it's time to retire.'"
"I sez pardon?"
"LOSE IT! They cold-cocked the CHAMP right in the chin. Down I went. Dead. Never to return again. Ever since I been the CHAMP."

LolClarkson*

Pretty much, yep. Sad but true. I'm called a troll on these boards, repeatedly, for disagreeing with (or even questioning) this franchise's moves. Being positive makes some people feel good, I guess.

Seems so. I'm surprised how much love Rick ball gets. I don't think you are a troll at all btw.

Betamax*

Seems so. I'm surprised how much love Rick ball gets. I don't think you are a troll at all btw.

Why are you surprised? Rick Ball is probably the best overall talent on TEAM radio in his ability to do both play by play in both football and hockey and host a talk show at a high level.

LolClarkson*

Pretty much, yep. Sad but true. I'm called a troll on these boards, repeatedly, for disagreeing with (or even questioning) this franchise's moves. Being positive makes some people feel good, I guess.

Why are you surprised? Rick Ball is probably the best overall talent on TEAM radio in his ability to do both play by play in both football and hockey and host a talk show at a high level.

He is good at play by play. But he's a "yes man" when it comes to commentary. He tries to agree with what the consensus is at the time. Unlike Patterson who will waltz into the studio and speak his mind and mix it up a bit. Pratt is the same way to a lesser extend.

Best radio I've ever heard was Patterson and Tony G on free agent day and buyout day this year. It was informative and hilarious

King of the ES*

I like him too, but Goldrunner is right in that he is a pretty blatant homer. Especially back in the day when he used to host a show on the Team. Dan Russell is a pretty good "overall talent" (must be - 30 years on the radio), but hardly anybody likes him, mostly because he often criticizes the Canucks.

Canuck fans, as a whole, tend to be the most sensitive fans in the NHL. Just ask Elliote Freidman, who's said so on the Team. Or ask Damien Cox, Ron MacLean, Glenn Healy, P.J. Stock, or anyone else who's felt the wrath of someone questioning the Canucks.

LiquidSnake

Jun 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Woo what a unique opinion. Enough BS about his voice. Content is what matters. His stats are always witty .

Like in the 2005 playoff round against Dallas, he mentioned that Brendan Morrow had more hits in one period then Naslund had all series.

Or recently he mentioned that the Canucks have lost 8 games in a row at the Rog

How are stats "witty" exactly?

And everyone hates his voice. That's not a unique opinion.

His stats are such useless stats. Much like most guys on radio. People don't hate him because he critcizes the Canucks. It's his constant ripping of players only to kiss their ass to their face and not ask any tough questions. He's cowardly.

It's not surprising that some on here like him because he's the definition if a troll. Tough guy on the radio/internet, a coward face to face. I guess some can relate to him.

I think there's tons of fans on here that are knowledgable and objective. And we all know who those are.

LolClarkson*

How are stats "witty" exactly?

And everyone hates his voice. That's not a unique opinion.

His stats are such useless stats. Much like most guys on radio. People don't hate him because he critcizes the Canucks. It's his constant ripping of players only to kiss their ass to their face and not ask any tough questions. He's cowardly.

It's not surprising that some on here like him because he's the definition if a troll. Tough guy on the radio/internet, a coward face to face. I guess some can relate to him.

I think there's tons of fans on here that are knowledgable and objective. And we all know who those are.

I was being sarcastic on the voice comment.

So you expect the guy to tell a player to his face that he screwed up ?

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam
My perfect morning show would be Pratt and Botch produced by Bro Jake. Bro should stay in the background, play good music, chime in on small things and let Botch & Pratt stick to sports.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
My perfect morning show would be Pratt and Botch produced by Bro Jake. Bro should stay in the background, play good music, chime in on small things and let Botch & Pratt stick to sports.

None of the three have an opinion worth listening to... that would be awful. I can see one of Botchford or Pratt to stir the pot but both? No thanks.

I'm hoping NHL "media" goes the way of the NFL media. Less "journalists", more ex-players and coaches.

Betamax*

None of the three have an opinion worth listening to... that would be awful. I can see one of Botchford or Pratt to stir the pot but both? No thanks.

I'm hoping NHL "media" goes the way of the NFL media. Less "journalists", more ex-players and coaches.

Yeah ... there's nothing more riveting and enlightening in hockey today then watching the HNIC intermission panel with Glenn Healy, P.J. Stock and Kevin Weekes. That's a Gemini Award winning panel of experts!

:yo:

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
Yeah ... there's nothing more riveting and enlightening in hockey today then watching the HNIC intermission panel with Glenn Healy, P.J. Stock and Kevin Weekes. That's a Gemini Award winning panel of experts!

:yo:

NFL fans get HOF players and coaches on broadcasts

NHL fans get backup goalies, 4th liners and coaches that can't find jobs

Not fair

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Bleh, no thanks. With one or two exceptions (Ferraro isn't bad), the ex-players you see in media are horrible.

Media needs more Bob McKenzies and Elliotte Friedmans, who actually get to their positions based on knowledge, intelligence, and credibility.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010

/playing the world's tiniest violin

I would think calling you a troll would be a compliment, as it suggests that your incessant (and inconsistent) whinging was an intentional viewpoint, much like Dave Pratt has a "character" that he plays.

I, however, don't think you're a troll at all :D

Proto

Jan 30, 2010

The NFL media is awful, dude. Is this serious? When they go to a studio during an NFL game, there's basically zero intelligent discussion. Don Cherry puts more coherent thoughts together, and he can't even say "coherent thought" out loud...

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
The NFL media is awful, dude. Is this serious? When they go to a studio during an NFL game, there's basically zero intelligent discussion. Don Cherry puts more coherent thoughts together, and he can't even say "coherent thought" out loud...

They aren't all good. I love watching Bill Cowher or Brian Billick break down game film. Hockey is really missing something like this imo. The more you know about a sport, the more you appreciate it, the more you like it.

I think guys like Troy Aikman and Steve Young offer excellent insight and a lot more credibility than a backup goalie.

I'd rather hear it from an ex-player or coach than a journalist every time, even if it means listening to Keyshawn Johnson.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
They aren't all good. I love watching Bill Cowher or Brian Billick break down game film. Hockey is really missing something like this imo. The more you know about a sport, the more you appreciate it, the more you like it.

Well, yeah. Coaches, sure.

I think guys like Troy Aikman and Steve Young offer excellent insight and a lot more credibility than a backup goalie.

I'd rather hear it from an ex-player or coach than a journalist every time, even if it means listening to Keyshawn Johnson.

Agree to disagree, I guess. I'd rather read Jonah Keri write/speak about baseball than listen to Joe Morgan. Even worse is when they have a panel of 5 guys getting 20 seconds each. I just don't know how anyone can enjoy that.

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
Media needs more Bob McKenzies and Elliotte Friedmans, who actually get to their positions based on knowledge, intelligence, and credibility.
Bingo. People who actually have something to say based on research, interviews and experience are much more interesting than ex-players like PJ Stock (has he been checked for CTE?) who talk in circles while adding nothing relevant to a broadcast.

And Jeff Paterson is the very definition of a troll. The defenders he has in this thread - particularly on the last page - are amusing to say the least, given the way they post on this forum.

LolClarkson*

Bingo. People who actually have something to say based on research, interviews and experience are much more interesting than ex-players like PJ Stock (has he been checked for CTE?) who talk in circles while adding nothing relevant to a broadcast.

And Jeff Paterson is the very definition of a troll. The defenders he has in this thread - particularly on the last page - are amusing to say the least, given the way they post on this forum.
So do you expect 1040 to hire a guy like Bob Mcbenzie for a fill in role ? Not going to happen.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010

I was willing to give PJ Stock the benefit of the doubt for awhile, since I'd heard his radio program in Montreal was good (never heard it myself), but there's just too much stupid. I think it was last year on hockey day in Canada when he basically called people with concussions wusses and said they should have two advil and a couple beer and stop being coddled.

If I ran a hockey broadcast, that sort of meatheaded idiocy would be first against the wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad