Confirmed with Link: TDA -1m, 1 year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
The supposed TDA/relative burner account posting calling out Canes as clowns on the Free Agency Day was a curious one.
Those tea leaves are impossible to read.

The simple explanation is usually the best. If TDA signed a 1x1 on Day One, it means that there were no other leads worth even pursuing. Which means that before free agency, the Canes reached out and no one else did.

I suppose it's possible that multiple teams reached out with similar deals, and he thought the Canes were the best opportunity -- but then implies an actual bidding war, and if the bidding war is won by the guys that offer the 1x1, that's not saying much about the value of the asset.

Reactions: cptjeff

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Those tea leaves are impossible to read.

The simple explanation is usually the best. If TDA signed a 1x1 on Day One, it means that there were no other leads worth even pursuing. Which means that before free agency, the Canes reached out and no one else did.

I suppose it's possible that multiple teams reached out with similar deals, and he thought the Canes were the best opportunity -- but then implies an actual bidding war, and if the bidding war is won by the guys that offer the 1x1, that's not saying much about the value of the asset.
This does sound very plausible, yes.

If Civ is digging into the origins of the Virtanen rumor, we may even some day hear what actually went on at the Canes management on and around July 28.

The bidding war, though... there may have been more than one takers on 1 x ~$1M, but I doubt the sum or the term would've been going much up from that. Every GM knew he'd be RFA a year shy of UFA when the one year is up, so there would be the opportunity to sign longer term after the initial show me deal if you wanted to keep him. And that show deal me was obviously due.

$1M SPC is very cap and waivers friendly if you felt you wanted to get him out of your NHL roster before the year's up.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Quite frankly, I'd like to see far more investigative rigor on behalf of the journalists who are bent on destroy this man's career.

All I have read so far is vague references to a "slur", and now they can't even decide if it was racist, homophobic or antisemitic. I want to know precisely what it was he said. For all we know, he called have called a referee a ":eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:er". Despite being a rather banal insult, now in the circle of wokedom, it is considered a homophobic slur.

I can't imagine it would take that much effort to interview his teammates from that incident and find out what he actually said. Unless of course, they already know what he said and are deliberately not exposing it because they know people would shrug.

Well, I'm expecting you to move the goalposts, but for what it's worth:

Sounds like they did reach out to someone involved in the OHL incident, and they're not buying that Tony's a changed person.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
$1M SPC is very cap and waivers friendly if you felt you wanted to get him out of your NHL roster before the year's up.

But it’s also not the best offer you can make and still bury 100% in the minors. That would be 1.125M.

Based on this administration’s history of negotiating, we can assume no one was willing to go above $1M. Because if they were and Carolina wanted him they would have gone higher.

Reactions: Lempo

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
But it’s also not the best offer you can make and still bury 100% in the minors. That would be 1.125M.

Based on this administration’s history of negotiating, we can assume no one was willing to go above $1M. Because if they were and Carolina wanted him they would have gone higher.
Yes. But you don't go to EDM for the .125 and pay Canada's taxes to boot.

Reactions: Anton Babchuk

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
it wouldn't surprise me if tony had bigger offers but took the offer from us because he's got a virtually guaranteed spot on the top powerplay unit. last year tyson barrie took $3.9m from edmonton instead of $6m from vancouver because he had no competition in edmonton, whereas there was quinn hughes in vancouver. if tony has a big year he'll be able to cash in next summer and there's really no better place to do that than here with dougie gone. he's likely getting prime powerplay time with some combination of with aho/svech/teravainen/necas/trocheck/staal.

i'm geuinely excited to see what he can do here. yeah he's a total dick but i have to assume that there are already some true pieces of shit on the hurricanes that we don't know about because they don't advertise it publicly like tony has. hockey culture breeds pieces of shit.

Last edited:

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
Well, I'm expecting you to move the goalposts, but for what it's worth:

Sounds like they did reach out to someone involved in the OHL incident, and they're not buying that Tony's a changed person.

I think this was my least favorite part of the coverage. "Some guy from a decade ago, said he doesn't think he changed." And one of those places where "Social media" and "News" overlap in an uncomfortable way.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
it wouldn't surprise me if tony had bigger offers but took the offer from us because he's got a virtually guaranteed spot on the top powerplay unit. last year tyson barrie took $3.9m from edmonton instead of $6m from vancouver because he had no competition in edmonton, whereas there was quinn hughes in vancouver. if tony has a big year he'll be able to cash in next summer and there's really no better place to do that than here with dougie gone. he's likely getting prime powerplay time with some combination of with aho/svech/teravainen/necas/trocheck/staal.

i'm geuinely excited to see what he can do here. yeah he's a total dick but i have to assume that there are already some true pieces of shit on the hurricanes that we don't know about because they don't advertise it publicly like tony has. hockey culture breeds pieces of shit.
“Birds of a shitfeather flock together Randy.”

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I think this was my least favorite part of the coverage. "Some guy from a decade ago, said he doesn't think he changed." And one of those places where "Social media" and "News" overlap in an uncomfortable way.

I don't know how to take "involved in the OHL incident" here. If he wasn't the target or the slur, would he know if DeAngelo apologized? Are they still friends with their entire junior team at this point?

Last edited:

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
There are lots of deals that are less appealing than a 1-way/$1M deal, and teams that lost the negotiation for TDA's services sure as shit aren't going to make that public knowledge.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007

So some complain that no one has done a deep dive and interviewed those involved in the OHL incident and others complain that they were talked to at all.

Frankly, I'm in the same boat as you. I don't think the past needs to be dragged up any more than it already has, and certainly not for anyone beside TDA. Just because some asshole called you a slur a decade ago and remained an asshole for most of his career doesn't mean you need to answer for his problems for the rest of your life.

What info that's already out there should be enough to damn TDA, but as long as teams keep giving him chances, history will continue to be brought up

Reactions: cptjeff and Ole Gil

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Yes. And lots of folks agree with that assessment, including the 31 other NHL GMs who were not willing to give him that chance.

The slur is the easiest thing to attach the story to. Maybe that's unfortunate or unfair. But if he'd been a model citizen since, it wouldn't be a big deal. He hasn't been. He's a (very?) good player that multiple orgs have given away for nothing.

We want to be the opportunity? Fine. But don't be surprised when the reactions are what they are.

Yeah, no. Not surprised at the reactions. FWIW given the totality of his actions- I'd say its likely what he said was horrible and he is who he is. I'm not arguing this guy should be totally given a pass and let off the hook. I think he needs to be on a real short leash.

Alls I'm saying is- if you are going to excoriate the entire Hurricanes organization and say they peed all over "inclusivity", with the obvious agenda of trying to get them to bend the knee and cut him loose, then you goddamn well better bring all the receipts.

Drivebytrucker

Jan 8, 2011
At what point in their life does somebody's actions at 17 year old get deemed as no longer mentionable?

Does anybody remember what they were like at 17? Jesus... I've talked to all my high school friends and teammates who are all lawyers, doctors, business owners and the general consensus is that we'd be all in jail if they had cell phone cameras back in 1994.

Kids make mistakes.

He's never been accused of making racist comments as an adult.

I don't know why everybody always wants to judge people by their worst moments.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
At what point in their life does somebody's actions at 17 year old get deemed as no longer mentionable?

Does anybody remember what they were like at 17? Jesus... I've talked to all my high school friends and teammates who are all lawyers, doctors, business owners and the general consensus is that we'd be all in jail if they had cell phone cameras back in 1994.

Kids make mistakes.

He's never been accused of making racist comments as an adult.

I don't know why everybody always wants to judge people by their worst moments.

I mean I'll never run for public office.

"Mr. Negan, what precisely was the term you and your friends used to describe knocking on people's doors and running away"

"Uhh...Ahem...Uhh..Is this thing on?"

Drivebytrucker

Jan 8, 2011
I got a DUI when I was like 19 and got my name in the paper which was devastating. Lost my job and all. It sucked. Never once did it occur to me I could simply blame the reporter who typed up the police blotter that day. That would've been so much easier than dealing with the consequences of my f***up

Yeah but if you were 17, I would strongly disagree with them publishing your name for a DUI.

We have this thing in Canada called the young offenders act where they can't release your name and give you seriously reduced punishments and a whole lot of reform initiatives because we understand that a 17 year old is not a fully formed functioning adult.

They say most males aren't fully developed cognitively until 25.

Still hope for TDA

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
i don't know if this is being talked about elsewhere, but the comments by erik cole were fine by me. i love dougie, but watching him in the playoffs was painful. you can't have a core piece that is letting up when everyone else is locking in. we saw it too many times. if anything, cole should be given a bit of rope considering how on the nose he was about skinner's reason for not being a fit here and how that manifested in buffalo. it's a subtle thing what cole said, but it gives you a world of insight into why we thought we could survive dougie's departure. he's an absolute unicorn by talent but the reason he has been on 4 teams is because a lot of people didn't know what to make of him between the numbers that said he was an elite top pair guy and the visuals of him playing contact averse and seemingly uninspired in playoff runs.

it was a mistake to bring up competitiveness as a differentiation in favor of tda, but it was silly for gold to treat it like it was a 1 for 1 deal that the reason we didn't sign dougie is because tda is more competitive or is going to give us the same things. he's not capable, but that's why it wasn't the only move they tried to make back there. for those that are wondering about dougie and why he's no longer here, it was as good of an insight as has been provided other than finances.

Drivebytrucker

Jan 8, 2011
i don't know if this is being talked about elsewhere, but the comments by erik cole were fine by me. i love dougie, but watching him in the playoffs was painful. you can't have a core piece that is letting up when everyone else is locking in. we saw it too many times. if anything, cole should be given a bit of rope considering how on the nose he was about skinner's reason for not being a fit here and how that manifested in buffalo. it's a subtle thing what cole said, but it gives you a world of insight into why we thought we could survive dougie's departure. he's an absolute unicorn by talent but the reason he has been on 4 teams is because a lot of people didn't know what to make of him between the numbers that said he was an elite top pair guy and the visuals of him playing contact averse and seemingly uninspired in playoff runs.

it was a mistake to bring up competitiveness as a differentiation in favor of tda, but it was silly for gold to treat it like it was a 1 for 1 deal that the reason we didn't sign dougie is because tda is more competitive or is going to give us the same things. he's not capable, but that's why it wasn't the only move they tried to make back there. for those that are wondering about dougie and why he's no longer here, it was as good of an insight as has been provided other than finances.

Love this post.

I can't ever seeing Dougie being a Rod guy anyways. It always felt like a square peg in a round hole.

Rod has earned the right to have the team that he wants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad