Confirmed with Link: TDA -1m, 1 year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Quite frankly, I'd like to see far more investigative rigor on behalf of the journalists who are bent on destroy this man's career.

All I have read so far is vague references to a "slur", and now they can't even decide if it was racist, homophobic or antisemitic. I want to know precisely what it was he said. For all we know, he called have called a referee a ":eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:er". Despite being a rather banal insult, now in the circle of wokedom, it is considered a homophobic slur.

I can't imagine it would take that much effort to interview his teammates from that incident and find out what he actually said. Unless of course, they already know what he said and are deliberately not exposing it because they know people would shrug.

Reactions: 416Craig

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Quite frankly, I'd like to see far more investigative rigor on behalf of the journalists who are bent on destroy this man's career.

All I have read so far is vague references to a "slur", and now they can't even decide if it was racist, homophobic or antisemitic. I want to know precisely what it was he said. For all we know, he called have called a referee a ":eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:er". Despite being a rather banal insult, now in the circle of wokedom, it is considered a homophobic slur.

I can't imagine it would take that much effort to interview his teammates from that incident and find out what he actually said. Unless of course, they already know what he said and are deliberately not exposing it because they know people would shrug.

While I'd like to see that, I'd also like to see more rigor and research on:
The first OHL violation of their harrassment, abuse and diversity policy. The often-discussed incident was a second offense.
The first OHL suspension (2 games) for abuse of an official.
The OHL ejection later that same season for abuse of an official.

There's a lot of things for people to look into and determine what actually happened with DeAngelo from his pre-NHL days, and then there is the question of what happened in Syracuse that caused him to be dealt by Tampa.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami

Which journalists were responsible for him getting shit-canned by the Rangers?

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Honest to god the first time I heard about this being a “slur” was the conversation the other day.
I mean, dig right down to it and I get it…just never thought about it.
Edit - I may have already said this. I have a terrible memory
Eleven years to the Demolition Man year, and we are two down of the George Carlin's seven.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC

The salient point underlying all of this is that the slur was a violation of OHL rules, which got him suspended, and then there was behavior that subsequently got him traded from that OHL team.

Let's be clear: however much you may think that journalists are piling on, TDA did this damage to himself, and that's why he was available for a 1 year show me deal. The onus is on him now to prove that he's something other than what he has demonstrated himself to be.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
The salient point underlying all of this is that the slur was a violation of OHL rules, which got him suspended, and then there was behavior that subsequently got him traded from that OHL team.

Let's be clear: however much you may think that journalists are piling on, TDA did this damage to himself, and that's why he was available for a 1 year show me deal. The onus is on him now to prove that he's something other than what he has demonstrated himself to be.

I disagree that the OHL rule violations are the salient point. If he had violated other rules, such as curfew policy, or drinking, or any number of things and got suspended, nobody would care.

The stridency of the articles written in opposition to him coming to the Canes are predicated nearly entirely on the nature of what he said in the OHL. Yet nobody can seem to find out what exactly he said. Which is outrageous.

I agree that he did this to himself and has to prove that he can behave like a civilized human being now. But these people don't think he deserves that chance and that the Canes organization should be punished for having the audacity to extend it to him.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
I disagree that the OHL rule violations are the salient point. If he had violated other rules, such as curfew policy, or drinking, or any number of things and got suspended, nobody would care.

The stridency of the articles written in opposition to him coming to the Canes are predicated nearly entirely on the nature of what he said in the OHL. Yet nobody can seem to find out what exactly he said. Which is outrageous.

I agree that he did this to himself and has to prove that he can behave like a civilized human being now. But these people don't think he deserves that chance and that the Canes organization should be punished for having the audacity to extend it to him.

Yes. And lots of folks agree with that assessment, including the 31 other NHL GMs who were not willing to give him that chance.

The slur is the easiest thing to attach the story to. Maybe that's unfortunate or unfair. But if he'd been a model citizen since, it wouldn't be a big deal. He hasn't been. He's a (very?) good player that multiple orgs have given away for nothing.

We want to be the opportunity? Fine. But don't be surprised when the reactions are what they are.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I got a DUI when I was like 19 and got my name in the paper which was devastating. Lost my job and all. It sucked. Never once did it occur to me I could simply blame the reporter who typed up the police blotter that day. That would've been so much easier than dealing with the consequences of my f***up

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
Yes. And lots of folks agree with that assessment, including the 31 other NHL GMs who were not willing to give him that chance.

The slur is the easiest thing to attach the story to. Maybe that's unfortunate or unfair. But if he'd been a model citizen since, it wouldn't be a big deal. He hasn't been. He's a (very?) good player that multiple orgs have given away for nothing.

We want to be the opportunity? Fine. But don't be surprised when the reactions are what they are.

Bullshit - its been stated that the canes were not the only team interested in TDA. We all know we weren't

Reactions: Anton Babchuk

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
I got a DUI when I was like 19 and got my name in the paper which was devastating. Lost my job and all. It sucked. Never once did it occur to me I could simply blame the reporter who typed up the police blotter that day. That would've been so much easier than dealing with the consequences of my f***up

So, 8 years later, when you got a new job, did a reporter come hound you about that DUI at 19?

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014

We don't know if the other GMs agree with the assessment of if they or their boss just were wary of the heat that was bound to come with the signing. Seeing that Canes was in hurry to get it done on the day one, it kind of looks like it wasn't a question of if but when with one or more GMs too.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
So, 8 years later, when you got a new job, did a reporter come hound you about that DUI at 19?

It didn't take me 8 years to get a new job, but there would no reason for anybody to hound me, I'm just some slob not a high profile public figure.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
We don't know if the other GMs agree with the assessment of if they or their boss just were wary of the heat that was bound to come with the signing. Seeing that Canes was in hurry to get it done on the day one, it kind of looks like it wasn't a question of if but when with one or more GMs too.

If he or his agent had thought for a second that they were going to do better than a 1x1 deal, they would have waited for it.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
If he or his agent had thought for a second that they were going to do better than a 1x1 deal, they would have waited for it.
My scenario covered for the Canes' hurry. TDA hurry may have been because he wanted ink on paper before the twitter backlash on the potential signing might make Canes back out from signing him. The supposed TDA/relative burner account posting calling out Canes as clowns on the Free Agency Day was a curious one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad