Confirmed with Link: TDA -1m, 1 year

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Man, we really are gonna do the same thing to this guy that they did in Boston and Calgary aren’t we?
Yup. And he fit like an effing glove. Take out the one series against Nashville, and stuff a sock in Tripp’s mouth every time he wanted to talk about Dougie in the second half of the season and I’m just not seeing this at all.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Man, we really are gonna do the same thing to this guy that they did in Boston and Calgary aren’t we?

i think both of those fanbases took it the doorstep of hyperbole because of the blue collar identity they seek, but when your 3 previous teams fanbases are saying some exaggeration of the same thing there's probably something to it. people are using the same argument to further disparage tda and they're probably right to do so.

that sin compared to like 90 points in his last 100+ regular season games might not make too much of a radar blip, but weaknesses get magnified in a pressurized environment like you see in the postseason. the expectation for a player making $9 million a year should be better than fine. that's being paid to be a difference maker and it's hard to recall a series during his tenure you could say he batted over his regular season average. in many instances, he was much worse. there's no revisionist history for me on this matter.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Dougie got traded from those cities

He chose to not play for us.

Big difference
Or, he chose to play for 7x9M instead of the apparently much lesser amount of ________ he would have been paid for staying with us.

Personally I would take offence only after someone took an actual paycut just to get rid of me.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
i don't know if this is being talked about elsewhere, but the comments by erik cole were fine by me. i love dougie, but watching him in the playoffs was painful. you can't have a core piece that is letting up when everyone else is locking in. we saw it too many times. if anything, cole should be given a bit of rope considering how on the nose he was about skinner's reason for not being a fit here and how that manifested in buffalo. it's a subtle thing what cole said, but it gives you a world of insight into why we thought we could survive dougie's departure. he's an absolute unicorn by talent but the reason he has been on 4 teams is because a lot of people didn't know what to make of him between the numbers that said he was an elite top pair guy and the visuals of him playing contact averse and seemingly uninspired in playoff runs.

it was a mistake to bring up competitiveness as a differentiation in favor of tda, but it was silly for gold to treat it like it was a 1 for 1 deal that the reason we didn't sign dougie is because tda is more competitive or is going to give us the same things. he's not capable, but that's why it wasn't the only move they tried to make back there. for those that are wondering about dougie and why he's no longer here, it was as good of an insight as has been provided other than finances.
I brought it up in the Dougie thread. The interview still seems very intentional on the message. We want players who we can count on and wont take huge paydays that will hurt our cap structure. Cole going through why a player shouldn’t take 8-9 million was odd.

Cole intentionally fixated on TDA’s fight with the goalie and didn’t mention any of the other issues. Glossing over potential issues like a politician.

Do other organizations have a personality go on radio and smoothly talk down a franchise level player when they are let go? Now that it is twice, it feels intentional at this point.

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
Here's the thing on Hamilton.

I wouldn't bet against them trying to deal his rights. What good are a player's rights, when you know he's simply gonna take the biggest payday, and you aren't it?

He's making 500k less than point, and he's nowhere near worth it. Point wins cups.

We all like Hamilton. He's funny, he's skilled. He ain't 9 mil in value, and I'd bet Jersey was the only place in the league offering that.

Honestly, I'd rather have 50-60 points a season and a guy who likes to hit, plays with edge and fights like a badger than 70 or 80 points. Especially when said 50-60 point honey badger makes 1 mil instead of 9.

Even if tda gets a 3 or 4 year deal, it will be in the 4 mil range if he puts up 60. I'll take 60 points a year and honey badger mode over 9 mil a year Dougie.

Lets see how this plays out. It's the most interesting player story in Carolina this season. We've certainly made no other interesting moves that's for sure.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Personally I would take offence only after someone took an actual paycut just to get rid of me.
Actually now to think of it, my close co-worker for 13 years is currently in process of switching over to the much less-paying day shift.

But I have chosen to accept that it's the combination of age, the strain of the 3-shift system and the punititive earnings-eating progressive taxation that is informing his choice. And not any other reason.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Alright, well I think it’s time to get to know Ragu better, he’s at least starting the season with us. These videos feature other Canes unsurprisingly so also good that way. They gave him his own video segment while putting him on double not so secret probation.

this one is really interesting at the 35 seconds mark.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Alright, well I think it’s time to get to know Ragu better, he’s at least starting the season with us. These videos feature other Canes unsurprisingly so also good that way. They gave him his own video segment while putting him on double not so secret probation.

this one is really interesting at the 35 seconds mark.

Putting aside the previous 600 posts worth of conversation which are all still valid and whatever, based on these 2 videos alone this guy is objectively Martinook-level charming.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Putting aside the previous 600 posts worth of conversation which are all still valid and whatever, based on these 2 videos alone this guy is objectively Martinook-level charming.
It’s interesting isn’t it? I mean of course he really did everything he did but you can also see how he’s liked in the room.

Talking to his mother .....

“How often did I get in trou....”
“Every day.......every day”

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Its almost like we aren't getting the whole story....

Huh...
Well I’m not trying to create more divide in here about this. I do think it’s important if he’s going to play for us this year we acknowledge the full picture of the guy. Those who would be supportive should accept why people would be so strongly against him and people that really hate him should try to learn that this guy is pretty human, flaws and all.

I mean it’s really hard to imagine this guy quiet in the corner of the locker room no matter how up against the wall his career is. The team won’t be able to avoid him, we won’t be able to avoid him....comes down to how he can learn from his past.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Most of your garden variety a-holes know when to put on a charming front for a camera. The fact that he seems like a nice guy during a scheduled piece should not be surprising in the least. Only the full psychopaths go full throttle on camera.

And, to be clear, while I have little love for Tony or his politics, I also only like "our" guys because they are probably just garden variety a-holes who know how to keep a lid on it better than Tony. Tony could be the best of the bunch of them in real life for all I know.

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
Well I’m not trying to create more divide in here about this. I do think it’s important if he’s going to play for us this year we acknowledge the full picture of the guy. Those who would be supportive should accept why people would be so strongly against him and people that really hate him should try to learn that this guy is pretty human, flaws and all.

I mean it’s really hard to imagine this guy quiet in the corner of the locker room no matter how up against the wall his career is. The team won’t be able to avoid him, we won’t be able to avoid him....comes down to how he can learn from his past.
I PREFER POSSIBLY LIKABLE IDIOTS TO UNLIKABLE IDIOTS.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Most of your garden variety a-holes know when to put on a charming front for a camera. The fact that he seems like a nice guy during a scheduled piece should not be surprising in the least. Only the full psychopaths go full throttle on camera.

And, to be clear, while I have little love for Tony or his politics, I also only like "our" guys because they are probably just garden variety a-holes who know how to keep a lid on it better than Tony. Tony could be the best of the bunch of them in real life for all I know.

Just wait until Slavin gets doxxed for feverish anonymous posts denouncing radiocarbon dating as a "pack of Jewish lies"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad