News Article: TBL Resign Callahan; Rangers acquire 2nd Rd Pick

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Callahan trade

UFA Ryan Callahan, NYR 2014 1st round pick (#28), NYR 2015 1st round pick, NYR 2015 7th round pick to Tampa Bay Lightening for Martin St Louis (signed for one more year) and TBL 2015 2nd round pick

Don Chytil

Jan 14, 2010
Queens
UFA Ryan Callahan, NYR 2014 1st round pick (#28), NYR 2015 1st round pick, NYR 2015 7th round pick to Tampa Bay Lightening for Martin St Louis (signed for one more year) and TBL 2015 2nd round pick

Also read as:

UFA who outpriced himself and two late firsts

for

2 years of a superstar player signed to a reasonable contract and a 2nd round pick

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
With the Rangers not having a first last year, this year or next year I can see them trying to move up into the first round either this year or next. Even though this hasn't been Sather and Co's MO in the past.

I think there is a better chance next year having the two second round picks and it being a "deeper" draft according to the hockey pundits.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I would bet you any amount of money that this won't happen.

I think that next year, with two seconds, they look to move up. Maybe with the picks and Marc Staal or someone. We'll have McDonagh, Girardi, Klein, Staal, possibly Stralman, and hopefully some guys like McIlrath and Allen ready for full time action (with Skjei potentially in the mix). I know it's not Sather's usual style, I just have a gut feeling. You guys are probably right though, in that if we make a move with those picks and a defenseman it will probably be for an NHL player rather than a high pick.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
To be honest I'm kind of surprised and relieved that Tampa re-signed Cally. The trade now looks much easier to swallow with us getting back Tampa's 2015 2nd round pick. I thought Yzerman might like to be able to say he traded MSL for two 1st round picks outright. Now it really does seem like a fair trade considering MSL has a much friendlier and flexible contract.

Sayba

Dark Schneider
Jul 7, 2009
Somehow he got on team USA and then this contact. I don't get it, he is not a top 6 forward on a good team.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Somehow he got on team USA and then this contact. I don't get it, he is not a top 6 forward on a good team.

Sometimes players are rewarded for their past more than their future. Nash made Team Canada as well. I wish Cally all the luck in the world. If Sather gave this deal to him for 6 years I think most fans would be worried.

nyrleetch

Aug 2, 2009
New York

Yeah I didn't get that. He made it due to that leadership role, despite the fact that he was having a poor season. How he made the team over a guy like Okposo may be the reason USA didn't medal. Cally gets nearly 6 mil and hey it's okay according to a lot of Tampa fans because he has intangibles! Where have we seen that before.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Need to win.

Need to build in order to win.

And if we're gonna trade Stepan, which I constantly advocate, at least let's do it for an actual or apparent upgrade.

Something which is ESSENTIALLY Stepan for ROR is ESSENTIALLY coke for pepsi. It is not a real build. It is a lateral move.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
Need to build in order to win.

And if we're gonna trade Stepan, which I constantly advocate, at least let's do it for an actual or apparent upgrade.

Something which is ESSENTIALLY Stepan for ROR is ESSENTIALLY coke for pepsi. It is not a real build. It is a lateral move.
But every one of your posts isn't coke for pepsi. It's more coke for sizzurp

TeamStewie

Jan 17, 2013
Tons of Ranger bashing over in TB's Callahan thread; said they should get used to Cally's annual no-show in the playoffs...

We all know about the honeymoon phase over here. They will be cursing him and his 6 million a year soon enough.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
So ultimately its Callahan and 2 first rounders for St. Louis and a 2nd round pick.

Since the first rounder is so low its almost like Cally and a 1st for St. Louis. Thats pretty fair.

AND freeing up the semi-long term contract he wanted in which we could not afford for a player that wanted a pretty penny, and would eventually break down towards end of contract. (sorry Cally). We simply cannot clutter up this team with long terms and have hands tied for years to come.

It's already Hank, Dan, McD, Klein, Nash. Kreids, Zuccha, certainly to follow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad