News Article: TBL Resign Callahan; Rangers acquire 2nd Rd Pick

SixGoalieSystem

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2011
Trondheim
Great news! Wish him all the best in Tampa.

Reading the article it looks like he got the same contract the Rangers offered him only with a NTC

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Great. It's official now. 1 of the games I vist this year will be the game where Cally returns to MSG :)

(or did he already play at MSG with Tampa last season?) Maybe we can trade our 2 2nd round picks for a 1st

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Wasnt the last rumored contract negotiation with the Rangers 37-39 over 6 years? But he wanted 7 right?

39 over 6 is 6.5 M hit yet he takes 5.8 with Tampa. Doesnt make sense. He played hard ball and lost. He could have stayed in NY where he wanted to be and made over 4 million more.

Thats huge to get something back after giving up another first. Makes me feel a little bit better about getting to finals with nothing to show for it. A little.

xChrisTilDeathx

May 25, 2014
Florida
Wasnt the last rumored contract negotiation with the Rangers 37-39 over 6 years? But he wanted 7 right?

Thats huge to get something back after giving up another first. Makes me feel a little bit better about getting to finals with nothing to show for it. A little.

Ill give up a draft pick every time for a chance at the cup

Ian

Mike York fan club
Jul 5, 2007
Long Island, NY
Glad he got his money, and very glad it wasn't here.

Reading the trade board and seeing all of the TBL fans reference his "intangibles" and "leadership" as reasons why the contract makes sense, reminds me a lot of Drury. Think their careers will play out the same way, but there is no more compliance buyout to save them.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Well this worked out for everyone i guess. Callahan, as much as I love him doesnt fit into AVs system and we all wouldve dreaded having him on the team with that contract in 2019-2020, maybe even earlier.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC

39 over 6 is 6.5 M hit yet he takes 5.8 with Tampa. Doesnt make sense. He played hard ball and lost. He could have stayed in NY where he wanted to be and made over 4 million more.

Yup, he overplayed his hand. Granted the no Florida state income tax will make the numbers closer to a wash...but can anyone really think all things being equal he'd rather be on TB then NY?

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
So ultimately its Callahan and 2 first rounders for St. Louis and a 2nd round pick.

Since the first rounder is so low its almost like Cally and a 1st for St. Louis. Thats pretty fair.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
When we traded Mark Messier, our captain, we got the 127th overall pick in 2004 which we used to draft our latest captain, Ryan Callahan. This 2nd round pick we will use to draft a future captain once again ;)

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

With taxes, its probably a wash.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Yup, he overplayed his hand. Granted the no Florida state income tax will make the numbers closer to a wash...but can anyone really think all things being equal he'd rather be on TB then NY?

Taxes are complicated but 41 games without having to pay income tax is nice. Definitely agree that Callahan's heart is in New York, but he's probably also thinking how great its going to be to work for a legend like Stevie Y. Wish him the best, except when he's playing us.

Youre Dam Tyutin

Oct 9, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
I'd imagine with Florida having no state income tax, this deal would be like the rangers giving Callahan 7 million a year. So don't let the AAV fool you, Callahan got exactly what he wanted, even with the partial no trade clause.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site

No income tax in the state of Florida. Saves quite a bit. NYC he would be in the 50% tax bracket with state and local tax. In FLA he will be in the 38-39% bracket saving an 11-12% of the contract value from having to pay taxes.

dstoffa

Jan 11, 2013
I think Callahan wanted $39/6 and the Rangers held firm at $36/6.

Agreed. I believe the parties were half a mil apart per year....

Hope it works out for him. I never ever questioned his enthusiasm and will to do what was necessary. In today's NHL, I don't know if his contract would work out in years 4, 5, and 6...

Cheers!
-Doug

Crease

Jul 12, 2004
Keep in mind you pay income tax in the state where you physically earn the money. So income from the road games abide by local tax law.

dstoffa

Jan 11, 2013
Taxes are complicated but 41 games without having to pay income tax is nice. Definitely agree that Callahan's heart is in New York, but he's probably also thinking how great its going to be to work for a legend like Stevie Y. Wish him the best, except when he's playing us.

It's not only 41 games, but the games played against the Panthers, and the games played in Nashville and Dallas...

Cheers!
-Doug

Crease

Jul 12, 2004
It's not only 41 games, but the games played against the Panthers, and the games played in Nashville and Dallas...

Cheers!
-Doug

Didn't know that about Tennessee and Texas. Thanks Doug.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad