News Article: TBL Resign Callahan; Rangers acquire 2nd Rd Pick

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Trade worked out well for us anyway, this just makes it look even better.

Callahan got less than he was looking for from us. Maybe breaks even after taxes. I'm happy for him and all, but you gotta wonder if he's having regrets about the situation. Ah well, it's a business.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Trade worked out well for us anyway, this just makes it look even better.

Callahan got less than he was looking for from us. Maybe breaks even after taxes. I'm happy for him and all, but you gotta wonder if he's having regrets about the situation. Ah well, it's a business.

Yep. Cup Final experience for the guys is worth much more to the organization than a late 1st Round pick. Doubt the team gets as far as they did with Callahan instead of MSL.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
No income tax in the state of Florida. Saves quite a bit. NYC he would be in the 50% tax bracket with state and local tax. In FLA he will be in the 38-39% bracket saving an 11-12% of the contract value from having to pay taxes.

Awesome point. Makes sense.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
I'd imagine with Florida having no state income tax, this deal would be like the rangers giving Callahan 7 million a year. So don't let the AAV fool you, Callahan got exactly what he wanted, even with the partial no trade clause.

More like 6.3M. NY tax would add about 500k/year. Money is a wash.

NY State tax is 8.82% on taxable income of more than $1,029,251 (according to google). Now if he also chose to live in NYC that would add another 3.876%, but not all Rangers do.

Bottom line is he overplayed his hand thinking that since the Rangers typically grossly overpay, they would do the same for him. Turned out that was not the case. He should have taken the 6x6 when he had the chance. I'm glad for Rangers fans he was too stupid to do so. Also happy we get a 2nd round pick back.

Last edited:

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
One last gift from Captain Cally.

Good on him. I hope he enjoys Tampa.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Awesome, love getting that pick

Yeah, it's like getting MSL for Callahan and a first. The drop-off from the 29th pick to something in the early fifties isn't huge. There's still excellent value to be had at the back of the second round.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Callahan didn't get the bonanza he was looking for based on Bartlett's comments. He told stop coaching Pat that his demands to the Rangers were a "discount" to make his client could get in free agency. What happened?

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I was sure Buffalo was going to give him a lifetime captaincy contract.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Bartlett always had a confrontational tone with the Rangers regarding Callahan. When Callahan was a group 2 in 2011 Bartlett made a comment about offer sheets. He is always talking to Craig Custance who quoted someone about the Rangers paying strangers and asking family to take less. I bet Bartlett was the source of that comment.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Keep in mind you pay income tax in the state where you physically earn the money. So income from the road games abide by local tax law.

AFAIK that is incorrect. I have multiple contractors who work in other states but are employees of a georgia based company. They pay Georgia state rates. The company he works for is based in Tampa. Regardless of where he works, it should be Florida tax rates.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
AFAIK that is incorrect. I have multiple contractors who work in other states but are employees of a georgia based company. They pay Georgia state rates. The company he works for is based in Tampa. Regardless of where he works, it should be Florida tax rates.

Different industry with different rules. I should have specified in my statement that I was referring only to professional athletes.

The complicating factor for pro athletes is not how much they earn — though they often make millions of dollars per year — but where they earn it. With few exceptions, athletes owe income taxes in every state where they play.

Almost every state with a major league franchise has a law that requires visiting pro athletes to pay taxes on the income they earn there. Most, including Massachusetts, calculate an athlete’s taxable income by measuring the number of “duty days” spent in the state. A duty day is any day on which an athlete is required to participate in team activities, from the first preseason training session to the final post-season game.

Source

The definition of duty days can vary by state though. Some states include travel days. Others include only game day.

Sky Valley

Mar 8, 2007
NBNJ
Draft picks and all aside, and even considering how much I like Callahan as a player and as a person, I'm glad we're not the ones stuck with that contract. Would've hated to get the point where I resented and older, overpaid, underperforming version of Cally.

Here's to the good times.

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008
Yeah, it's like getting MSL for Callahan and a first. The drop-off from the 29th pick to something in the early fifties isn't huge. There's still excellent value to be had at the back of the second round.

Really good news for us...and even those who say draft picks don't matter! ;)

This will offset some of that 'short term gain/long term pain' aspect of the trade. I'm also glad it wasn't us who signed Cally to that contract with the NTC. Good call by Sather. For a change we had a guy on the upside of his career, and someone else will experience the downside.

That said, I'm not getting the comparison of the first we gave up in this year's draft to the second we just received in the 2015 draft. The two were contingent on two completely different things.

We've now sent our first to Tampa in the 2015 draft, and received a second in that same draft, and the difference in that draft will depend on the final standings next year.

The only way that can be a disaster is if we miss the playoffs next year, and would have wound up with a top 15 or higher draft pick. Sacrificing that to Tampa could hurt, as 2015 is looking like a very strong draft.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
When we traded Mark Messier, our captain, we got the 127th overall pick in 2004 which we used to draft our latest captain, Ryan Callahan. This 2nd round pick we will use to draft a future captain once again ;)

Didn't know that.

It's like Calgary with Nieuwendyk, Iginla and co.

Garfinkel1

Jun 28, 2008
CT
Cally will suffer the same fate as Drury in the sense that like Drury, Cally put's his body on the line for his team and after all the punishment, he's going to be hobbling to the finish line by the time he's 30/31 years old... Giving him a 6 year contract would have been a disaster from a cost/production sense, but I do think the kid deserves it. Glad he got his money... but also happy it's not here.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
Callahan just can't stay healthy enough to justify that contract. A Callahan that plays 75-80 games a season? Sign me up! But what Tampa is going to get is the Callahan that plays 60ish games, and many of those banged up. That's not worth 6 years at $5.8 per. I'm glad he got his money and security for his family, but I'm thankful it wasn't from us. Tampa is a very young team, though. Maybe they won't end up regretting the contract in the same way we would.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
After rumors of him asking for an AAV of closer to $7 million and then you hear him sign for $5.8 AAV. Even with the difference with state taxes. It still sounds like he settled for less than what he was "demanding" of the team that drafted, developed, and made him their captain in one of the biggest markets in the world.

SMH. But thank you for the 2nd

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
The good thing for TB, is that they get Callahan from 28-34. Drury started to fall apart at 33-34. There were A LOT of players who learned a lot from Drury on this team. Callahan. Dubinsky. Boyle. Prust. They were all good players, but Drury taught them all how to play with heart. Those guys are valuable.

On this team, I don't think he would be worth that contract. However, TB is building a very strong 2nd line with Filpulla and Callahan. 2-way forwards who can play against the other teams best players. PK. That leaves Stamkos to worry about offense with Purcell on is line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad