News Article: TBL Resign Callahan; Rangers acquire 2nd Rd Pick

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
I think the most tragic thing about this is we'll never get to see BuffSabre24 as a member of HFBoards :/

JCrusher*

Apr 16, 2012
As much as I feel dealing Callahan was the right move I will really miss the player and the person. Congrats and all the best.
I respect Callahan's heart/toughness and PK ability but im glad the rangers didnt make that deal that tampa just did. I am happy we got a 2nd rounder out of it

Zuccarello Awesome*

When we traded Mark Messier, our captain, we got the 127th overall pick in 2004 which we used to draft our latest captain, Ryan Callahan. This 2nd round pick we will use to draft a future captain once again ;)

or to trade to Colorado for our future captain, RYAN O'REILLY.

(kidding. I think it's pretty clear that McDonagh will be named captain before the season starts)

storm fan

Dec 20, 2004
Wasnt the last rumored contract negotiation with the Rangers 37-39 over 6 years? But he wanted 7 right?

39 over 6 is 6.5 M hit yet he takes 5.8 with Tampa. Doesnt make sense. He played hard ball and lost. He could have stayed in NY where he wanted to be and made over 4 million more.

Thats huge to get something back after giving up another first. Makes me feel a little bit better about getting to finals with nothing to show for it. A little.

He didn't want 7 he would take 6 for 6 but wanted a no trade clause

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
Wasnt the last rumored contract negotiation with the Rangers 37-39 over 6 years? But he wanted 7 right?

39 over 6 is 6.5 M hit yet he takes 5.8 with Tampa. Doesnt make sense. He played hard ball and lost. He could have stayed in NY where he wanted to be and made over 4 million more.

Thats huge to get something back after giving up another first. Makes me feel a little bit better about getting to finals with nothing to show for it. A little.

I really wonder about that. The way I read the NTC was a late demand form Cally's camp and when Sather heard that he said enough and pulled the trigger on the MSL deal.

I've suspected that Cally saw his role and the team changing and wanted out.....but what the heck do I know. He'll keep more of his money in Florida and it's a nice warm place for a family used to upstate New York.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Callahan’s signing with the Lightning completes the deadline swap of captains with Tampa Bay. The winger signed with the Lightning for less than his camp ever demanded from the Rangers (the start price was seven years at approximately $6.75 million per year that belatedly was reduced to six years at $6 million per year after it had become too late), though the absence of state tax in Florida at least balances that scale.

http://nypost.com/2014/06/25/rangers-interested-in-offensive-defenseman-dan-boyle/

The whole Callahan situation was weird. He was on Michael Kay's show today. Callahan didn't even go through the free agent process. Meet with other teams. Bartlett was talking tough. Last night,his son tweets the Lightning and their client had a good productive day of talks. Callahan's demands were so high and then he settles without even testing the free agent market.

Of course, Callahan has a measure of control over negotiations with the Rangers, which have progressed no further since the second week of February. Girardi is in a similar predicament. Reports have Callahan seeking a seven-year extension for just shy of $7 million per season, both higher numbers than GM Glen Sather would prefer. Girardi is asking for closer to six years in the $5 million-plus range.

Callahan’s agent, Steve Bartlett, told the Daily News on Tuesday morning that in his opinion, the captain’s asking price — which Bartlett would not confirm — is a “discount” from what he believes Callahan would command on the open market if he hit free agency on July 1.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/h...i-distraction-article-1.1701421#ixzz35iArDNfk

Weird

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Callahan’s agent, Steve Bartlett, told the Daily News on Tuesday morning that in his opinion, the captain’s asking price — which Bartlett would not confirm — is a “discount†from what he believes Callahan would command in a fantasy world.

Sounds about right.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
http://nypost.com/2014/06/25/rangers-interested-in-offensive-defenseman-dan-boyle/

The whole Callahan situation was weird. He was on Michael Kay's show today. Callahan didn't even go through the free agent process. Meet with other teams. Bartlett was talking tough. Last night,his son tweets the Lightning and their client had a good productive day of talks. Callahan's demands were so high and then he settles without even testing the free agent market.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/h...i-distraction-article-1.1701421#ixzz35iArDNfk

Weird
i dont know how weird it is. to me it plays out like this.

cally thinks hes worth a ton.
rangers offer him a ridiculous contract, cally turns it down.
rangers threaten to trade him
cally calls their bluff
rangers trade him
cally negotiates with tampa, cant believe hes not getting 7x7
accepts hes not as good as he thought
cally accepts reasonable contract to stay with team that should be good for the forseeable future.

cally got a big time reality check when he got traded.

didnt the rangers even tell his agent to ask anyone if they would trade for him with free negotiating rights to him before the trade deadline and nobody would pull the trigger?

ltsthinaz

Dec 20, 2011
Kingman, Arizona
That's not what I know to be true, I believe you pay state taxes in your state of residence only

Not true - you do pay income tax on that portion of money earned in a state. There are 9 states with no income tax, though I believe only two have NHL teams. You do pay at the applicable rate, which is of course highest in California (even worse than New York).

This can be a complicated issue - if the amounts are small, it may not be worth it for a state tax agency to go after you. And there is the question of what to do with Internet businesses, etc. But for a prominent athlete in a top tax bracket, they will undoubtedly pay, though I seriously doubt any of them use TurboTax.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005

Weird

Right. Which makes me think he wanted out of New York for what ever reason: coach, chemistry in the room??

But there is a sub text here I'm thinking.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
i dont know how weird it is. to me it plays out like this.

cally thinks hes worth a ton.
rangers offer him a ridiculous contract, cally turns it down.
rangers threaten to trade him
cally calls their bluff
rangers trade him
cally negotiates with tampa, cant believe hes not getting 7x7
accepts hes not as good as he thought
cally accepts reasonable contract to stay with team that should be good for the forseeable future.

cally got a big time reality check when he got traded.

didnt the rangers even tell his agent to ask anyone if they would trade for him with free negotiating rights to him before the trade deadline and nobody would pull the trigger?

Again, I believe I read it more than once. His agent asked for a NTC after the Rangers had come up in their number. Sather heard that and said enough is enough. Pulls the trigger.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00