News Article: TBL Resign Callahan; Rangers acquire 2nd Rd Pick

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Good for Cally getting what he wants.

Good for the Rangers getting a pick back and not having to deal with that contract a few years down the road.

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
It's more than just a reputation for hard work. He was very skilled at knowing how to go down. Guys like Dorsett are just amateurs. Callahan was a pro.

I'm surprised he doesn't have more of a reputation around the league. I know he gets called out from a few fans on here but he really has it down to a science.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I'm surprised he doesn't have more of a reputation around the league. I know he gets called out from a few fans on here but he really has it down to a science.

He does have a reputation from fans. Just not the refs. I mean, I think most Rangers fans have realized his diving skills for about four or so years, now.

LittleKev6D9

Unregistered User
Dec 14, 2011
Middletown
Love Callahan. Wish him the best. But he's not worth that contract. Barely worth his contract last season.

Definitely agree his career will play out like Drury's and he'll be grinding out his minutes on the 4th line.

*Bob Richards*

Considering we don't have a first until the end of time, we need all the picks we can get. :laugh:

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I expect Callahan to play at his current level for 3 more years and none more. 6 years with a NTC is rough.

TBL's shutdown line of Palat-Filppula-Callahan will be brutal to play against though.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Cally sealed his fate when his initial offer to the rangers was the 7 mil a year for 8 years that he originally asked for (or something like that)

what an absurd way to begin a negotiation.

Fletch

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn
Visit site
this is a very good offseason move for the Rangers. Tampa pays a guy and the Rangers get a second round pick for next season. Hope it's not he best move of the offseason, but it's a nice start.

TeamStewie

Jan 17, 2013
Cally sealed his fate when his initial offer to the rangers was the 7 mil a year for 8 years that he originally asked for (or something like that)

what an absurd way to begin a negotiation.

It was almost as ridiculous as the NHL's first offer to the players.

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008
or we use that 2nd rounder for a deadline rental! u know sathers gonna do it!

LOL so true - Staal, a first and this second for Joe Thornton. You know Sather will at least consider it, if not actually do it.

Hank's window will only be open so long...

The Wyzerhood

A league of his own
Oct 3, 2008
The good thing for TB, is that they get Callahan from 28-34. Drury started to fall apart at 33-34. There were A LOT of players who learned a lot from Drury on this team. Callahan. Dubinsky. Boyle. Prust. They were all good players, but Drury taught them all how to play with heart. Those guys are valuable.

On this team, I don't think he would be worth that contract. However, TB is building a very strong 2nd line with Filpulla and Callahan. 2-way forwards who can play against the other teams best players. PK. That leaves Stamkos to worry about offense with Purcell on is line.

Let's not forget about Ondrej Palat, undoubtedly one of the best two-way players on the team that flashes a similar skill set to Marian Hossa. The line of Palat-Filppula-Callahan should be one of the more productive 2nd lines in the East at both ends of the ice.

Nice to read the positive comments on Callahan and those wishing him well. I'm not too concerned about years 5 and 6 on the deal since his NTC ends after year 4. Given the absurd amount of youth on our team, this deal made perfect sense for us; Callahan also fits like a glove into the playing style Cooper envisions for this team and his attitude and willingness to battle for every puck became contagious.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00