Confirmed with Link: [TBL/COL] Ross Colton traded for the 2023 37th overall pick

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
So we give up the farm for Jeanno and get back about a quarter of said farm for a better player. Great work JBB
The jeannot trade was awful. Horrible fit.

Losing Colton sucks. JBB is not doing so hot after killing it.

God what an awful line that would be.

Still weird how Colton wad worth a 2nd....but Jeanot was worth a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th....
Jbb panicked. He is losing his shine quickly

Reactions: PJ817

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Picks as a concept are overrated. It's who you take with them.

Even historically, pick 37 is only really highlighted by Mats Naslund, Justin Faulk, Boone Jenner, and Don Beaupre. Only 13 players selected there hit 300 NHL games.

I'm speaking of Jeannot, not Colton.

Draft picks have inherent value, I think it's bad logic to look at previous drafts and make comparisons. Instead I think the correct way to assess that value is to look at what other teams are doing with those picks to improve their team.

Reactions: hn777

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Maybe he a a jedi trade in the works. We have been rumored for EK for years now. Yeah I know it isn't happening and we don't need him. But if we sign a cheap Vet like OEL and trade for a solid top 6 physicals defenseman with this space we are in good shape to perform with our core.

Lol, we could probably have traded for EK with good retention if we still had the assets from the Jeannot trade

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Lol, we could probably have traded for EK with good retention if we still had the assets from the Jeannot trade
Salary cap wise there is no way. Low to mid millions compared to say 5-6 million at best case scenario with retention is not happening. Also we would still need a top 6 and bottom 6 forward to replace AK and RC with no money to sign them.

Reactions: Hoek

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Another trade comp was Lehkonen, a player similar in age,needing a new deal, and a bit worse production wise(but with a similar overall skill set) and while it was at the tdl, he returned a late 2nd and a higher end, close to ready prospect. That kind of return would have at least provided Tampa with someone who likely could've been able to help the team now. Great job by Colorado though in their win now approach, turning Newhook(a player many Colorado fans seem to think had lost some of his luster) for Colton+1st.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Another trade comp was Lehkonen, a player similar in age,needing a new deal, and a bit worse production wise(but with a similar overall skill set) and while it was at the tdl, he returned a late 2nd and a higher end, close to ready prospect. That kind of return would have at least provided Tampa with someone who likely could've been able to help the team now. Great job by Colorado though in their win now approach, turning Newhook(a player many Colorado fans seem to think had lost some of his luster) for Colton+1st.
Trade deadline players always cost more though. JBB thought Jeannot was the missing piece in our bottom 6. It didn' work out for multiple reasons. We could have used a 100% healthy Jeannot in round 2 but when he returned he was not up for it. Hopefully we sign him for cheap because of his perfrmance and he rebounds. Barbs turned Point's skating from a weakness to elite levels. If Barb's can turn Jeannott skating from a weakness to average it would go a long away.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I'm speaking of Jeannot, not Colton.

Draft picks have inherent value, I think it's bad logic to look at previous drafts and make comparisons. Instead I think the correct way to assess that value is to look at what other teams are doing with those picks to improve their team.
I don't think it's too out of line. We give the very top picks a lot of weight, as that's when you most likely get the best players.

The sample size goes back to the 1969, and there are twice as many 37th overalls that played less than 20 NHL games than there are guys who lasted 300+.

0-20 NHL games
26 players

21-299 games
15 players

300+ games
12 players (I accidentally counted Beaupre twice in a previous post)

The newest picks haven't really had a chance yet, but it is what it is. You can get a good player anywhere in the draft, but there's nothing really that magical about picking ~37. It's like a 50/50 shot historically of getting a guy who plays at least 20 games.

Last edited:
Reactions: DistantThunderRep

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Salary cap wise there is no way. Low to mid millions compared to say 5-6 million at best case scenario with retention is not happening. Also we would still need a top 6 and bottom 6 forward to replace AK and RC with no money to sign them.

I was half joking but the numbers do actually work out as long as we are filling holes with players making 1 million or less.

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019
The only thing I don't like about the trade is that we gave him to Colorado, other than that I think the pick we got back is pretty good.

Wonder if we will use it and trade it before the second round, or draft a player.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Hate to see Ross the boss go but cap sucks. At least got a good pick for him. Maybe we will bring back killorn.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
I'm sure you're well accustomed to being an ass, given your posts on here. The ignore list is my friend again.
I'd put me on ignore too, I think I dunk on your dumbass posts once a week.

I'd guess they have one guy at least verbally agreed/sorted so far and thats why they felt they could move him now. Curious if the Bogo news also means they have something similar lined up with OEL and his agent...

TheSchmidt

Dec 28, 2013
Happy for Ross.

Always seemed to always go full tilt and never whined (publicly) despite being stapled to the third line no matter what while an inferior player like Paul constantly got chances in the top 6.

I'm sure he'll get chances to play with Colorado's stars and will be a 50-60 point player.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Wouldn't mind trying to flip the 37 to San Jose for Sturm. Lock in that 4C for the next 2 years, good all around player making 2M per. Would like to attach Myers to the 2nd to help with the cap a bit even if we can save most of Myers cap by burying him every little dollar helps. Would be great if we can get retention on Sturm but not sure San Jose would want to retain when they have bigger contracts they probably want to move. Maybe a 3 team trade that sends Seabrook to Anaheim who retains 50% on Sturm? Anaheim will need to get to the floor so Seabrook helps that without having to overpay someone like a Foligno like Chicago did.

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
In no universe should JBB bring back Killorn at the expense of Jeannot at this point.
Have to agree they are not going to give up on Jeannot after half a season given what they traded away for him. He has this upcoming season to prove his worth, then we will see what happens from there.
They had to have made the offer to Killorn knowing they were close to getting the deal for Colton done. This means that the offer they made for Killorn, rumored to be low average over time, may well be the best they could do with what they knew they were going to have. As much as Killorn and Tampa Bay share a love for each other, he has to figure out the benefits of low pay to stay in Tampa vice going for the bigger bucks with a new team. He has his rings, so it should be time for him to cash in on them and the season he had and make the most of the UFA contract he is going to get.

Reactions: LTIR Trickery

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
If JBB chooses to keep Jeannot over either Colton or Killorn, just wow. So many different options at last year's tdl, both rentals and not, and with no clear plan to be able to bring back either AK or RC, the TJ trade seems more and more like a blunder. Tampa could've traded less for a rental, then had some more available to sign either AK or RC now(plus likely having at least a few more assets for possible future trades) while losing some quality on the bottom 6.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
We really gonna lose Colton and Killorn and keep Jeannot LOL

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia