Confirmed with Link: [TBL/COL] Ross Colton traded for the 2023 37th overall pick

AHockeyFanatic

Champa Bay
Jul 4, 2021
What a terrible trade. Losing Killorn and Colton, and not even getting a single asset back that helps this year; now I have a much worse outlook for this season, but hey, at least all the doom and gloom posters in here can have a party I guess.

Colorado gets a 1st+2nd for Newhook, N.J. gets Toffoli for Sharangovich+3rd, and all JBB can get is a pitiful 2nd for Colton.
What’s with all the knee-jerk posts? Colton is at best a 3rd line center and we got a high 2nd round pick for him, relax.

BoltSTH

Sep 4, 2008
Tampa
I think it is a fair trade. Avs get a replacement for the player they got a 1st for from the Habs, we got a high 2nd for a pending RFA, bottom six center that we probably did not have the cap space to sign.

I do not think there is any fan base that would not accept the trade of picks for several years and many of their prospects for 2 cups, and a final. The bill always comes due, we just have to pay up.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
What’s with all the knee-jerk posts? Colton is at best a 3rd line center and we got a high 2nd round pick for him, relax.
Colton is far from "at best a 3rd line center", and he wasn't even playing C in Tampa most of the time. He has plenty of top 6 upside and his advanced stats mostly indicate that. It was an underwhelming return for his caliber of player based on several other recent trades of similar players. Despite what Tampa did or didn't get, the major factor that makes this trade either a large L or at least understandable is if Killorn stays. If he re-signs, losing Colton at least makes some sense, if Killorn walks, losing both is a very big loss for the team and JBB.

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
Colton is far from "at best a 3rd line center", and he wasn't even playing C in Tampa most of the time. He has plenty of top 6 upside and his advanced stats mostly indicate that. It was an underwhelming return for his caliber of player based on several other recent trades of similar players. Despite what Tampa did or didn't get, the major factor that makes this trade either a large L or at least understandable is if Killorn stays. If he re-signs, losing Colton at least makes some sense, if Killorn walks, losing both is a very big loss for the team and JBB.
You keep conveniently forgetting that he is an RFA. And his future cost/value is unknown to us, but was pretty clear to JBB.

Reactions: LTIR Trickery

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
You keep conveniently forgetting that he is an RFA. And his future cost/value is unknown to us, but was pretty clear to JBB.
So were quite a few other rfa's in similar positions recently. and most returned better than one 2nd. Almost everything I've read outside this board call the trade a pretty good win for the Avs, and just an okay return, if that, for Tampa. If Killorn walks, it's much worse, but hey, at least they'll have likely kept Jeannot....If JBB wanted to say to everyone, it's time for a retool, then making moves like this is one thing, but when you pay 6 assets for Tanner Jeannot and continue to say that every move you make is to improve the team for the here and now, trading Colton for a player that might help in 3 years and possibly not being able to keep Killorn is an interesting approach to this overall team strategy.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

That's because this board lowballs every single player and has no idea what the current market is like, thinking we can keep Killorn for 3M or sign Colton for 2M and then pikachu face when they leave.

We clearly can't even afford Colton's abritration otherwise we would've taken him back on a 1-2 year deal and he can walk after. Joseph was coming off a 30 point season and Sens avoided abritration which would've awarded him 3m+ by giving into him at 4 x 2.95M, Colton is a better player and his number woud've been higher.

Killorn signed a 7 year deal at 4.45M when he was 26 years old coming off a 38/40 point seasons and 15/14 goal seasons, Colton is 26 years old coming off 39/32 point 22/16 goal seasons. Very similar situations except we're in 2023 not 2015.

Last edited:
Reactions: RussianGuyovich

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
So were quite a few other rfa's in similar positions recently. and most returned better than one 2nd. Almost everything I've read outside this board call the trade a pretty good win for the Avs, and just an okay return, if that, for Tampa. If Killorn walks, it's much worse, but hey, at least they'll have likely kept Jeannot....If JBB wanted to say to everyone, it's time for a retool, then making moves like this is one thing, but when you pay 6 assets for Tanner Jeannot and continue to say that every move you make is to improve the team for the here and now, trading Colton for a player that might help in 3 years and possibly not being able to keep Killorn is an interesting approach to this overall team strategy.
I think you're valuing Colton a lot higher than anybody making offers on him. He's a nice player, but he's really never been a scorer at any level, so the idea that he's suddenly going to be a great addition to our top-six, or Colorado's, is a bit odd. He's 27 years old, so the jury is about 90% in. 37th overall pretty decent for a guy like this who's never broken 40 points.

Reactions: Crunchrulz

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
I think you're valuing Colton a lot higher than anybody making offers on him. He's a nice player, but he's really never been a scorer at any level, so the idea that he's suddenly going to be a great addition to our top-six, or Colorado's, is a bit odd. He's 27 years old, so the jury is about 90% in. 37th overall pretty decent for a guy like this who's never broken 40 points.
However, Jeannot, who has a career high of 41 points, is one year younger, and has had much less overall consistency, was worth a a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th(plus Foote), and was in essence allotted cap resources(if kept, which seems certain) that could have been used towards keeping either Killorn or Colton, yet Colton, who has a career high of 39 points and 2 less goals in a full season, warrants one early 2nd. Colton also is averaging around 20 goals and 35 points a year playing with less than top end talent and getting around 12 minutes a night.

Colton also never really had a top 6 shot in Tampa because of who was here ahead of him the last two years, so saying that he couldn't be a good addition to Tampa's, or anyone's top 6, is a.bit strange. Until we see what Colton signs for, it's hard to say in terms of how hamstrung Tampa was, but choosing to pay that acquisition cost for Jeannot and keeping him, thereby further limiting cap space for a better player in either Killorn or Colton, seems like a very bad decision.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
However, Jeannot, who has a career high of 41 points, is one year younger, and has had much less overall consistency, was worth a a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th(plus Foote), and was in essence allotted cap resources(if kept, which seems certain) that could have been used towards keeping either Killorn or Colton, yet Colton, who has a career high of 39 points and 2 less goals in a full season, warrants one early 2nd. Colton also is averaging around 20 goals and 35 points a year playing with less than top end talent and getting around 12 minutes a night.

Colton also never really had a top 6 shot in Tampa because of who was here ahead of him the last two years, so saying that he couldn't be a good addition to Tampa's, or anyone's top 6, is a.bit strange. Until we see what Colton signs for, it's hard to say in terms of how hamstrung Tampa was, but choosing to pay that acquisition cost for Jeannot and keeping him, thereby further limiting cap space for a better player in either Killorn or Colton, seems like a very bad decision.
Yes but Nashville had absolutely no need to move Jeannot! Tampa has cap problems they had to unfortunately trade Colton

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Some people here have a hard on for doom and gloom.

Always negative at every opportunity.

I'm a bit down too myself but we need to get younger. So what do we do? We get a mid 1st round talent. The other big name in Howard is Stamkosian in his release, Perbix literally solved our RHD problem. I'm jumping for joy over here.Who gives a shit if we don't win the Cup this year? If these dudes pan out we'll be better than 2020 and 2021.

I don't get the bad vibes

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Yes but Nashville had absolutely no need to move Jeannot! Tampa has cap problems they had to unfortunately trade Colton
Perhaps not though. If Tampa hadn't sold the house for Jeannot and acquired a rental instead, there would have been extra money now to spend on either Killorn or Colton. True, Nashville didn't have to move him, nor did Tampa have to severely overpay and cost themselves down the line as well. If Colton had to be traded, 2nd+decent prospect, 2nd or 3rd+actually helpful player, or more of a hockey trade where Tampa got a player that could help now all seemed reasonable. Getting a player that, if they pan out, may help the team in 2026 or 2027, runs 100% counter to the "win now" strategy. Tampa, if Killorn leaves, now has 3 or 4 F holes to fill, both in the top 6 and bottom 6. At least in that case, perhaps ABB will finally get a decent look at top 6 wing, where he actually has a chance to reach his potential.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay

I think the Jeannot trade is an unfair comparison, that was one of the worst trades in franchise history the moment it was announced. Colton for a second is fair. If you are trying to highlight that JBB has been too careless with our assets, I'd hope most here would concede that point. He could afford to be and ultimately it worked and brought us two cups. Jeannot was a major mistake though

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
The Jeannot hate from many posters here, after just a half a season with the organization, is ridiculous. The team fails to make the Finals for the first time in four seasons and many of you start to post like spoiled brats. Continuing with that kind of attitude is going to make many of you the very fan base you make fun of on a regular basis on this page.
Fans of an organization that have not become spoiled by success understand that it usually takes a full season for a player to adjust to a new organization. There have been exceptions, as we saw with previous deadline deals. Those successes in turn have given many the false idea that all deadline deals work out immediately for the organization. Welcome to reality, as it does not normally work that well.
Give Jeannot the 23-24 season to make or break his time with the organization, then blast away if he does not work out. We owe at least that to the highly skilled coaching and scouting staff that brought Tampa Bay back to back Stanley Cup Championships and a third Finals appearance over the past four seasons.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
The Jeannot hate from many posters here, after just a half a season with the organization, is ridiculous. The team fails to make the Finals for the first time in four seasons and many of you start to post like spoiled brats. Continuing with that kind of attitude is going to make many of you the very fan base you make fun of on a regular basis on this page.
Fans of an organization that have not become spoiled by success understand that it usually takes a full season for a player to adjust to a new organization. There have been exceptions, as we saw with previous deadline deals. Those successes in turn have given many the false idea that all deadline deals work out immediately for the organization. Welcome to reality, as it does not normally work that well.
Give Jeannot the 23-24 season to make or break his time with the organization, then blast away if he does not work out. We owe at least that to the highly skilled coaching and scouting staff that brought Tampa Bay back to back Stanley Cup Championships and a third Finals appearance over the past four seasons.

This guy must've never seen a rental player in his life.

You don't trade for a rental player in March and hope it works out next year or you must think JBB is an idiot since we could've just waited till the summer to poach Jeannot instead paying deadline premium.

Part of the value we gave up was for a playoff push this year and that was an absolute failure, failing to understand that part makes you like some of the fan bases we make fun of.

Reactions: Stammertime91

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
Wasn't he also playing with a broken foot in the playoffs? Or am I mistaken?

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

Mikey Eyssimont came off the ice early at a very optional #TBLightning morning skate -- a possible indication he'll draw back in for Game 5.

No confirmation on any changes, but Tanner Jeannot was the last forward to stay on."

They must've wanted him to stay on the ice longer in practice with a broken foot to make it heal faster then :laugh:

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
Believe it was a right leg injury, but like so many other players, they play through injuries during the post season in an effort to help their team win.

This guy must've never seen a rental player in his life.

You don't trade for a rental player in March and hope it works out next year or you must think JBB is an idiot since we could've just waited till the summer to poach Jeannot instead paying deadline premium.

Part of the value we gave up was for a playoff push this year and that was an absolute failure, failing to understand that part makes you like some of the fan bases we make fun of.
Oh I understand the game and how it works FAR more than you can imagine.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

I dont think anyone is defending the price we paid for Jeannot.

Colton hasnt shown a scoring touch at any level. He is likely exactly what he should be - a good 3rd liner. We had to take what we could get for him, and, under the circumstances, we did pretty well.

Reactions: NatoGhost

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
I dont think anyone is defending the price we paid for Jeannot.

Colton hasnt shown a scoring touch at any level. He is likely exactly what he should be - a good 3rd liner. We had to take what we could get for him, and, under the circumstances, we did pretty well.
I disagree that Tampa did very well, and based on what I have read outside of the Tampa board, it seems as though many also agree Tampa lost the trade. If Jeannot was such a high priority moving ahead, Colton should've been dealt at the tdl last year when he would've more than likely returned better. The team wasn't likely winning a Cup with the way certain players were struggling, so getting out ahead of the upcoming cap situation then would've been better asset management.

The Jeannot trade was terrible in terms of cost, and I continue to bring it up because the team now is seemingly forced to spend cap on him, instead of signing/promoting a cheaper player and having some extra space for one of Killorn or Colton.

Colton may not have been a line driver, but as far as scoring touch, averaging 20 goals a year given his deployment and caliber of linemates seems pretty solid. Maybe his ceiling is just a good 3rd liner, but it would've been nice to see him get that top 6 chance(and I'd take him.on the team moving ahead 10/10 over Jeannot at this point). Most of Colton's advanced stats also indicate he has more potential than just a 3rd liner, and it won't surprise me if he ends up similar to Lehkonen and his improvement, if Colton gets a bigger role in Colorado.

Maybe Colton did price himself out, and if Killorn walks as well it just shows more of how JBB may have mismanaged the cap with both prioritizing Jeannot, and with some of the higher than expected values on the rfa contracts last summer.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00