Confirmed with Link: [TBL/COL] Ross Colton traded for the 2023 37th overall pick

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
I disagree that Tampa did very well, and based on what I have read outside of the Tampa board, it seems as though many also agree Tampa lost the trade. If Jeannot was such a high priority moving ahead, Colton should've been dealt at the tdl last year when he would've more than likely returned better. The team wasn't likely winning a Cup with the way certain players were struggling, so getting out ahead of the upcoming cap situation then would've been better asset management.

The Jeannot trade was terrible in terms of cost, and I continue to bring it up because the team now is seemingly forced to spend cap on him, instead of signing/promoting a cheaper player and having some extra space for one of Killorn or Colton.

Colton may not have been a line driver, but as far as scoring touch, averaging 20 goals a year given his deployment and caliber of linemates seems pretty solid. Maybe his ceiling is just a good 3rd liner, but it would've been nice to see him get that top 6 chance(and I'd take him.on the team moving ahead 10/10 over Jeannot at this point). Most of Colton's advanced stats also indicate he has more potential than just a 3rd liner, and it won't surprise me if he ends up similar to Lehkonen and his improvement, if Colton gets a bigger role in Colorado.

Maybe Colton did price himself out, and if Killorn walks as well it just shows more of how JBB may have mismanaged the cap with both prioritizing Jeannot, and with some of the higher than expected values on the rfa contracts last summer.
Jeannot is a straw man. And a boring one.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
? We cant trade for value at the TDL when we are aiming for a cup. We traded Colton when we had to: now. And a high 2nd is about right for a good 3rd liner in his prime. Colorado got a good player that we had to move.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Jeannot is a straw man. And a boring one.
Not really, as without him, Tampa would have at least an extra million, probabaly more that could have been spent on either Killorn or Colton(taking into account a cheaper bottom 6 replacement for the Jeannot spot). Instead they will no doubt overpay Jeannot now and likely lose two better players, in part because they have even less cap space thanks to having to pay Jeannot.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
? We cant trade for value at the TDL when we are aiming for a cup. We traded Colton when we had to: now. And a high 2nd is about right for a good 3rd liner in his prime. Colorado got a good player that we had to move.
And based on the way the season was going, and the play of several key players, it seemed a deep Cup run was more unlikely last year than any of the 3 previous years imo. JBB was unlikely to have done so, but getting max value for a player you were fairly certain was gone it seems(especially after the Jeannot trade) would have set Tampa up better for likely both this year and beyond(prospect/player+pick imo). Since Colton was just a 3rd liner, his loss for 20 games and one playoff run wouldn't have been devastating vs the higher value Tampa more than likely could've received for him at the TDL given what others comparable to him were receiving. The fact that Tampa received no immediate help in the trade for him, for a team pushing everything for the now, is a loss imo. Gauthier is a fine prospect, but given Tampa's glacial development time, he may be of use to the team in 26-27(unless of course JBB flips him in a trade for an NHL ready player, but that likely doesn't happen until the TDL, so who knows). Tampa got a meh return for him based on what others were going for and based on their current approach to the team's outlook imo. Things can change based on certain contract values and if Tampa keeps Killorn/flips Gauthier for immediate help, but for now, I believe JBB lost this trade.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
And based on the way the season was going, and the play of several key players, it seemed a deep Cup run was more unlikely last year than any of the 3 previous years imo. JBB was unlikely to have done so, but getting max value for a player you were fairly certain was gone it seems(especially after the Jeannot trade) would have set Tampa up better for likely both this year and beyond(prospect/player+pick imo). Since Colton was just a 3rd liner, his loss for 20 games and one playoff run wouldn't have been devastating vs the higher value Tampa more than likely could've received for him at the TDL given what others comparable to him were receiving. The fact that Tampa received no immediate help in the trade for him, for a team pushing everything for the now, is a loss imo. Gauthier is a fine prospect, but given Tampa's glacial development time, he may be of use to the team in 26-27(unless of course JBB flips him in a trade for an NHL ready player, but that likely doesn't happen until the TDL, so who knows). Tampa got a meh return for him based on what others were going for and based on their current approach to the team's outlook imo. Things can change based on certain contract values and if Tampa keeps Killorn/flips Gauthier for immediate help, but for now, I believe JBB lost this trade.
I think Gauither can be the next Celly with a little more offensive flare because his shot is legit. I think at worse Gauither is a good defensely responsible forward at best he is a Celly+, Bergeon, and Krejci type where is a good two-way center but is better defensively than offensively. Also we could 3 years on Gauither on an ELC possibly which is huge in the cap era.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Did you not watch the regular seasons the two years we won the cup? Or last year, when we went to the SCF? Did those fill you with hope? They should have filled you with certainty that this time doesn't even put the car in drive until April.

We still had a pretty decent chance at a deep run if Vasy had shown up.

The return on Colton was never going to make or break this team, whether we trade him at the deadline for futures, or at the draft for lesser futures. Although, really, I don't think we would get much more at the TDL for him. You can't compare it to Jeannot; nobody in the league paid that kind of price.

Reactions: Crunchrulz

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Did you not watch the regular seasons the two years we won the cup? Or last year, when we went to the SCF? Did those fill you with hope? They should have filled you with certainty that this time doesn't even put the car in drive until April.

We still had a pretty decent chance at a deep run if Vasy had shown up.

The return on Colton was never going to make or break this team, whether we trade him at the deadline for futures, or at the draft for lesser futures. Although, really, I don't think we would get much more at the TDL for him. You can't compare it to Jeannot; nobody in the league paid that kind of price.
Lehkonen returned a late 2nd+very good prospect that was ready to play(or very close) in Barron, for one example. Jeannot was still an NHL trade, and apparently, Tampa was one of many teams interested. While I don't think Tampa should've had tunnel vision and paid that price, he was going to go for more than a 2nd almost assuredly.

I did watch all of those seasons, and in none of them before this past year's did I think the team didn't have a long Cup run in them, barring major injuries. This last year, especially after the all star break, they looked awful. There had been rough stretches in previous years, but nothing like the way they looked the final two+ months this year. Neither Vasy nor Hedman(plus others) looked great, and while most showed up vs Toronto, the team wasn't winning 16 playoff games this past year with the overall level of play.

It's done now and hopefully Killorn stays and/or they either trade Gauthier at the deadline a la N. Foote, or he develops quicker than usual. In any case, I hope Colton tears it up for Colorado, since I usually pull for them in the West(except against Tampa in the SCF of course), and he deserves the increased ice time he likely will get there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad