Confirmed with Link: [TBL/CBJ/DET] Lightning trade 1st, 3rd, and 4th rd picks for David Savard (25%) & Brian Lashoff

Antiramie

Mar 25, 2011
People really being critical of BB giving up a 1st for Savard when he paid that for both Goodrow and Coleman?

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
People really being critical of BB giving up a 1st for Savard when he paid that for both Goodrow and Coleman?

To be fair, giving up a 1st round pick (even if it was a 31st overall, eventually) for someone with career highs of 8 goals and 24 points really was quite an overpay. And if Goodrow's skillset is best described as being an optimal bottom-6 and PK type, well, those guys can often be found for much cheaper, in general. Lots of players have to grind their way by filling those undesirable roles. He's not unique.

But, you're right, if BriseBois felt no problem using a 1st for Goodrow, then Savard is much more understandable by comparison.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I like the player and don't mind at all giving up assets and even overpaying for short term help. With that said my one worry is that the 1st round pick may have been our best piece to entice Seattle to select TJ(or jettison any dead weight) this offseason, we're running dangerously low on trade chips. If we can't free up some cap space going into next year, we'll be crawling over broken glass again trying to eek out production from our RD, and that should be concerning for anyone who expects that our contention window should last past this year. A worry for the offseason I guess

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Well, here's something to consider. Of the 31st overall picks from the drafts between, I dunno, lets say 2003 through to 2016 (2003 because it was a great draft year, 2016 because I don't want to penalize more recent draftees who may not have made the NHL yet). There have been 11 skaters and three goalies drafted with the 31st overall pick in that time. The results?

750 games played, 79 goals, 88 assists for the 11 skaters. That averages out to 68 games played, 7.18 goals, and 8 assists for each individual player. That's not season averages, those are their entire careers.

The goalies have done a bit better. Two of them - Jacob Markstrom and Mikko Koskinen - are in the NHL today, as starters even, albeit not for the teams who drafted them. The other, Oscar Dansk, has played a total of five NHL games in net.

Why 31st overall? Because, if things go right, that's what the Lightning's draft selection is going to be. Obviously it will be a little bit higher if they fall short of the Cup, and if they do? Then maybe some of those numbers amongst 27th overalls, 28th overalls, etc. are a bit better than for 31st overalls. Who the hell knows. But based on the average results for 31st overall picks? If you win a Cup with David Savard instead, odds are you won't regret what you missed out on. Odds are, you won't regret it anyway.

So you're saying we are going to lose in the Cup final? Because that's who the 31st pick goes to, I hope we traded the 32nd overall pick.

Maelmoor

Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
I like this move, rather go for it than sit idle and have regrets afterwards. Last year that mindset helped us get a cup, might not work again but I'm definitely in favour of trying to strengthen the team if possible.

Savard isn't a star, but he makes us better and then the price matters less. We had to pay more to get to the 75% salary retained.

Also some amazing cap management by JBB, such an important skill to have right now!

BoltSTH

Sep 4, 2008
Tampa
Anything that stops having to play Shenn, or Borgman is worth it. Cooper will try Savard with all of out top 3 LHD, but when the dust settles I expect:
Hedman-Savard/Foote
Sergachev-Cernak
McD-Foote/Savard
Rutta Thomas

McD-Savard would be a very good penalty kill/shutdown pair.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Imagine what we're gonna do with Savard when we got as much as we did out of Shattenkirk and Bogosian. I don't care about 2021 draft capital because it looks to be a bad draft anyway and we also didn't give up any of our prospects while we were at it. I'll take my odds of one of them waking up one day and realizing they're immediately effective like Ross Colton. When we eventually part ways with some of the guys we have now we'll end up getting something back and making the most of it.

JFBB is the man. For right now let's just try to go back to back. When it's time to sort of start over we're gonna have 5 star players in our back pocket to do it with.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
ALL in for another cup win! NO State TAXES! TAMPA cost lower to live than other cities! LTIR cap circumvention! Tampa forces their stars to take discounts! Keep the tears and salt coming BB! I would love if we moved TJ now and added a solid bottom 6 center., but it isn't happening!
#2021 playoff mantra should be
ALL in for another cup win!
CHAMPA BAY BOLTS!

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
That was the missing part with SFY in my opinion.

Well he did land a really good one on his way out the door when he made that trade with the NYR for McDonagh.

He otherwise did a very good job in every other facet. He made A LOT out of the Marty St. Louis situation. My only complaint is that when we did become legit contenders, it was a little odd hoping that the likes of Brendan Morrow and Chris Kunitz were gonna be this big whopping difference and they'd be like the only change we would see.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Well he did land a really good one on his way out the door when he made that trade with the NYR for McDonagh.

He otherwise did a very good job in every other facet. He made A LOT out of the Marty St. Louis situation. My only complaint is that when we did become legit contenders, it was a little odd hoping that the likes of Brendan Morrow and Chris Kunitz were gonna be this big whopping difference and they'd be like the only change we would see.
He traded Drouin for Sergachev.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
He traded Drouin for Sergachev.

And Cory Conacher for Ben Bishop

Probably the most famous of all

Steve Downie -> Kyle Quincy -> 1st round pick -> Andrei Vasilevskiy

That's the NHL equivalent of the story of the guy who traded a stick of gum for a more valuable item and then kept repeating the process until he traded his way all the way to $1 million or a mansion etc

That was some Sam Pollock shit

Antiramie

Mar 25, 2011
Cooper stubbornly giving guys like Johnson and Killorn more minutes than they should is gonna hurt us more than having Savard over Schenn in the lineup.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Cooper stubbornly giving guys like Johnson and Killorn more minutes than they should is gonna hurt us more than having Savard over Schenn in the lineup.
Hopefully just showcasing but that would mean we’d be looking for another rental or two to replace them for our “win now” campaign.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay

Killorn and Johnson have spent years being on again/off again dog turds. But if both guys were to play at the level we saw of them both last night I won't have a problem with Cooper's use of them because Colton is getting his almost no matter what and I'm not under the impression it would be like "Look how much better we'd be if HE got 7 extra minutes over Killorn/Johnson"

For the first time in a while Johnson had some pep in his step. He had a few other games recently where he looked like he was finding his speed too. Killorn was meh but at least his habit of falling down drew us a penalty. But all in all I'm not ready to grab the pitchforks yet. I wanna see if these 2 can continue showing signs of life before we see them banished to the void between dimensions. With Stamkos out I think it's only natural they're gonna draw more TOI

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
And Cory Conacher for Ben Bishop

Probably the most famous of all

Steve Downie -> Kyle Quincy -> 1st round pick -> Andrei Vasilevskiy

That's the NHL equivalent of the story of the guy who traded a stick of gum for a more valuable item and then kept repeating the process until he traded his way all the way to $1 million or a mansion etc

That was some Sam Pollock shit
I think it was a red paperclip.

Reactions: Felonious Python

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad