Confirmed with Link: [TBL/CBJ/DET] Lightning trade 1st, 3rd, and 4th rd picks for David Savard (25%) & Brian Lashoff

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Guys, Gals, congrats. I'm rooting for you.

Savard is a solid player. There's not much to say. I think he has more offensive ability than what he's shown here in the past few years and maybe you guys will get it out of him. However, if not its fine because you got him for his defensive ability.

Yes, he hasn't been as good this year. This is true. However the team is a dumpster fire and we're always playing defense. So I think that plays a part in it too. I think he'll be solid for you guys.

What I do know is he's a great leader, a great person, and a warrior. Blocks shots, moves the puck well enough, and he's physical. He's slow skating, but he always finds a way to make it work. Ugly as hell strides and won't win races, but he won't get dusted either.

I hope you guys enjoy him. I loved me some Savvy. Good luck the rest of the way and take care of him. :)

He's always been a pain to play against, which is why a lot of us are celebrating. We have a good idea of the player we're getting, recent struggles aside.

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015

Lightning trade - 1st rd pick (2021), 3rd rd pick (2022), 4th rd pick (2021)
Blue Jackets trade - David Savard
Red Wings trade - Brian Lashoff

Lightning receive - David Savard, Brian Lashoff (with stay in Grand Rapids)
Blue Jackets receive - 1st and 3rd rd picks / retain 50% of Savards contract
Red Wings receive - 4th rd pick / retain 25% of Savards contract

JBB just laid the wood again.

Damn is he one hell of a GM or what!

Freaking A1 brilliant deal.

Reactions: Coopers Gum

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
Well, welcome Savard. We do need help on the back end and it would cost us to get it.

Reactions: NatoGhost

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
what is this story about?
Oren Koules was the part owner of the Lightning before Vinik came into the picture. He was also very hands on and made moves as if he was the GM. One of the trades made was Mark Recchi for Martins Karsums and prospect Matt Lashoff, who is Brian's brother. Ended up being a big flop of a trade. Karsums never did anything for the Bolts before returning to play in Europe and Lashoff was a complete bust, while Recchi helped Boston win a cup.

Ironically around this time David Savard was then Lightning prospect Mark Barberio's D partner in Moncton. Time flys.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Feels like an overpayment for a depth player. Is he a rental as well? Not much coming up the pipeline either. Cup or bust.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Feels like an overpayment for a depth player. Is he a rental as well? Not much coming up the pipeline either. Cup or bust.

It is but I like an aggressive move like this for a team that is in its window. Go for it when you know you got a chance!

Reactions: Maelmoor

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
He's always been a pain to play against, which is why a lot of us are celebrating. We have a good idea of the player we're getting, recent struggles aside.

I was going to come here and give my word as a Jackets fan, but I sort of figured you ought to know Savvy by now.

This is what I wrote on the Jackets board:

The thing I'll miss the most with Savvy, besides that beautiful beard and physique, is that "he knows how to get in the way" (Torts' phrase). He gets in the way of shots, gets in the way of bodies, blocks passes with his rear if he has to, basically nothing gets to the net or across the netmouth. It all seems like simple stuff but Savvy made an art out of it.

This edition of the Jackets was too weak up the middle to abide a defenseman that needed help moving the puck, it didn't work out for us and Savvy this year. But we're going to miss what Savvy did well. You can draft a hundred D-men and not find one that got in the way as well as he did.

The thing about his puckmoving might not be an issue in Tampa. Savvy is perfectly capable of making a good pass to the center on the breakout, or a hard one up to the center red line, and of course flipping pucks off the glass if he has to. The issue in Columbus was that we didn't have centers to take a pass deep in the zone and we didn't have guys winning battles in the neutral zone. Savard isn't going to carry the puck and improvise around those issues, but in a good breakout system he'll make the simple pass. If Bogo and Schenn and company can do it in Tampa, then Savard certainly can.

You might not be aware of this but he is a solid middle-pair D averaging about 23 minutes a night over the last couple playoff runs. He's having a bad year, no doubt, but that makes him a middle-pair D having a bad year, not a depth guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad