Proposal: TB/MTL: Domi and Gourde?

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Gourde would likely be on your second line. People said the exact same things last year about JT Miller.

Yep, any 3rd / 4th liner on TBL will automatically be 1st or 2nd line on the Habs. That's the arrogance of TBL fans.

Using that logic, Tatar would be a 100+ point player on the TBL having superstars like Stamkos / Point as his C instead of Danault! So with that said, trading a 100+ point potential player at the trade deadline should net the Habs a massive return! ;)

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I'd be shocked if there are many other members of the Habs fan base that agree with you on your hot takes.

I disagree - most Habs fans agree with those takes. Its just that there are so damn many of us that other fan bases label us by the lowest common denominator.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Yep, any 3rd / 4th liner on TBL will automatically be 1st or 2nd line on the Habs. That's the arrogance of TBL fans.

Using that logic, Tatar would be a 100+ point player on the TBL having superstars like Stamkos / Point as his C instead of Danault! So with that said, trading a 100+ point potential player at the trade deadline should net the Habs a massive return! ;)
Literally happened with our Third Line winger Drouin who became your first line Centre. Precedent has been set.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

No, because Tatar wouldn't get 1st unit PP time with us.

You're calling it arrogance. We were proven pretty correct on JT Miller though. 4th liner in TB; lighting it up in Vancouver.

TB has a strong roster. Our top-6 isn't exactly easy to crack, nor is our 1st PP unit.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
What? I'm not overly interested in Petry because I think he would cost too much? I understand Petry is a very good player, much better than Shattenkirk. That doesn't mean I want to pay for him. Our prospects very often develop longer than other prospects, so the guys you're calling trash... Well, we're used to that. Half our top six is filled with guys this board once called "trash."

Suggesting that the idiot offer was an overpayment because you don't need Petry is very suspect.

Your "prospect" Alex Barre-Boulet is barely an NHL prospect. At 22 years old he is more of a career NHLer. He has zero value. As does Mathei Joseph. So you are offering essentially a late 1st for Petry at 50%.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Suggesting that the idiot offer was an overpayment because you don't need Petry is pointless.

Your "prospect" Alex Barre-Boulet is barely an NHL prospect. At 22 years old he is more of a career NHLer. He has zero value. As does Mathei Joseph. So you are offering essentially a late 1st for Petry at 50%.

You have no grasp of logic or context.

It wouldn't be an overpayment in a vacuum. It's too much in our current situation, where our defense has been dominant as it is. Why offer a chunk of our future to fix something that isn't broken? There are only 60 minutes in a game. How many can Petry realistically play for us when we have Hedman, McDonagh, and Sergachev? And how much of our future is it worth giving up?

I just don't see much point in improving the D. Hedman will have his minutes upped in the playoffs, and I don't want to cut into Sergachev's time.

And you're saying the same things about ABB and Joseph that people have said about Cirelli and Johnson and Palat and whoever else. Yet we've turned all these guys into contributors. Maybe if MTL didn't give up on 22 year-old prospects as "career AHLers," they'd be a better team.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Well I thought Habs fans were more knowledgeable then they are but apparently they aren't. If you think Barre-Boulet is a D prospect and a career AHLer, at 22, I don't have anything else to offer. Lock er up, I'm out.

What do you classify him as? An A-Prospect? Good lord. He's 22 years old and never had a sniff at the NHL. Was never drafted. He can't even be truly classified as a prospect. He'll be 23 years old heading into the 2021 season with zero NHL games.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Its that kind of arrogance that labels you guys as out of touch.

Out of touch. And yet it literally just happened with the last player in Gourde's situation. How do you explain Miller? Was he just a fourth liner we shipped off? Or maybe he was a very good player who just didn't have a role with our team?

I mean, Gourde played on our 2nd line as soon as we had a couple of injuries. I'm not sure why it's so outlandish to think he would play on a lottery team's 2nd line.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
You have no grasp of logic or context.

It wouldn't be an overpayment in a vacuum. It's too much in our current situation, where our defense has been dominant as it is. Why offer a chunk of our future to fix something that isn't broken? There are only 60 minutes in a game. How many can Petry realistically play for us when we have Hedman, McDonagh, and Sergachev? And how much of our future is it worth giving up?

I just don't see much point in improving the D. Hedman will have his minutes upped in the playoffs, and I don't want to cut into Sergachev's time.

And you're saying the same things about ABB and Joseph that people have said about Cirelli and Johnson and Palat and whoever else. Yet we've turned all these guys into contributors. Maybe if MTL didn't give up on 22 year-old prospects as "career AHLers," they'd be a better team.

Its one thing saying you don't need Petry. Its another saying a late TBL 1st for Petry is an overpayment. The latter shows you are out of touch. If you could get Petry at 2.7M for a late 1st... you would do it in a heartbeat.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Its one thing saying you don't need Petry. Its another saying a late TBL 1st for Petry is an overpayment. The latter shows you are out of touch.

I didn't say it was an overpayment. I said it was too much "for us." In our current situation. Where we don't need Petry.

Also, I was talking more about ABB + Joseph. 22 is still young for a TB prospect.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Out of touch. And yet it literally just happened with the last player in Gourde's situation. How do you explain Miller? Was he just a fourth liner we shipped off? Or maybe he was a very good player who just didn't have a role with our team?

I mean, Gourde played on our 2nd line as soon as we had a couple of injuries. I'm not sure why it's so outlandish to think he would play on a lottery team's 2nd line.

Right, so any under-performing TBL player gets elevated status on a non-playoff team. So Mathieu Joseph would be a 3rd liner on the Habs and Alex Barre-Boulet would be on our 3rd / 2nd line as well.

You are arrogant and out of touch. No one wants Gourde at his contract. If he can't produce on this amazing TBL team, then he can't produce on a lottery team where he would have little support. Gourde was a mistake. 1 good year and he gets that contract...

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Right, so any under-performing TBL player gets elevated status on a non-playoff team. So Mathieu Joseph would be a 3rd liner on the Habs and Alex Barre-Boulet would be on our 3rd / 2nd line as well.

You are arrogent. No one wants Gourde at his contract. If he can't produce on this amazing TBL team, then he can't produce on a lottery team where he would have little support.

Neither of those guys have topped 60 points in the NHL when in a better situation. Gourde has. So yeah, he would probably be a top-6er on a lot of teams. You'll never hear me saying that about Namestnikov. But I said it about Miller.

I'm not sure why you don't believe our roster is pretty good. It's not just Stamkos and Kucherov.

I don't think Gourde will be traded because I don't think he'll waive.

I think all that's happening with this scouting is we're thinking about Kovalchuk.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
TB and MTL aren't good trading partners.

They never have been, despite MB getting fleeced by Yzerman.

Gourde is a really good player and he'd easily be on our top 6, but he's not what we need.

Tatar isn't what TB needs either and a swap wouldn't make any sense.

I think if MB tries to deal with TB again, it'll be a one side deal again.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Neither of those guys have topped 60 points in the NHL when in a better situation. Gourde has. So yeah, he would probably be a top-6er on a lot of teams. I'm not sure why you don't believe our roster is pretty good. It's not just Stamkos and Kucherov.

I think all that's happening with this scouting is we're thinking about Kovalchuk.

I don't understand why you don't understand why no teams would take on Gourde's contract? He's on pace for 30 points on this super-star laden amazing TBL team. ;) He is 28 and earns 5.2M for another 5 years. No one is touching that piling steam of shit my friend.

He's also 5'8 and the Habs do not need anymore midgets! lol

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Neither of those guys have topped 60 points in the NHL when in a better situation. Gourde has. So yeah, he would probably be a top-6er on a lot of teams. You'll never hear me saying that about Namestnikov. But I said it about Miller.

I'm not sure why you don't believe our roster is pretty good. It's not just Stamkos and Kucherov.

FWIW, I don't think you've been the one who's been arrogant whatsoever.

I tend to agree with much of what you're saying.

Also, scouting Kovalchuk makes sense, but it's also possible they're looking to fill the bottom lines. I'd defer to you on that one, as I don't know if guys like Thompson or Cousins could be added for depth. Nothing that would cost more than late picks.

Reactions: DFC

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
I absolutely heart Dom. He's my favorite HFBoards poster and i really mean that. I love the valuations. lol

Hey Dom, can you get a valuation on Dale Weise?
im done doing this but his will be negative since hes been consistently more than 1/3 of a win below replacement level per season

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I don't understand why you don't understand why no teams would take on Gourde's contract? He's on pace for 30 points on this super-star laden amazing TBL team. ;) He is 28 and earns 5.2M for another 5 years. No one is touching that piling steam of **** my friend.

He's also 5'8 and the Habs do not need anymore midgets! lol

He's not getting PP time. His ES points are pretty in line with what Miller put up last year in the same situation.

Gourde, in the right situation, is about a 45 point guy who gives you good defense and penalty killing. Not claiming he's anything more than that. But saying he'd be a 4th liner anywhere because he's the odd man out in TB is just silly.

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
He's not getting PP time. His ES points are pretty in line with what Miller put up last year in the same situation.

Gourde, in the right situation, is about a 45 point guy who gives you good defense and penalty killing. Not claiming he's anything more than that. But saying he'd be a 4th liner anywhere because he's the odd man out in TB is just silly.

Who said he's a 4th liner anywhere?

Why don't you understand why i wouldn't want his contract and 45 points is not enough to justify 5.2M for another 5 seasons. Especially when he's regressed to ~30 points this season and doesn't have a long track record to hang your hat on. That contract is way too long.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad