Proposal: TB/MTL: Domi and Gourde?

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Would prefer to keep him for the playoffs. Ideally Gourde or Johnson can go first, easier to replace them within our system.

Killorn most likely will be gone around the draft. Just money casualty.

I don't see anyone taking on Gourde / Johnson unless there is a significant sweetener attached.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Because they wouldn't want to give Domi the contract he wants... So get a talented winger, albeit overpaid (which they can afford) and a few other pieces. Draft's in Mtl this year.

How do you know what the Habs will be willing to pay Domi? Why the hell would the want an overpaid Gourde who is another midget at 5-9 and 170lbs? Makes no sense at all.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
You think no one is going to take Johnson without a sweetener? You're out to lunch.

Gourde is having a bad season, so that I understand.

The past 3 years he's been a 45 to 50 pt player. He's 5'8 and turning 30 with 4 years remaining at 5M AAV? I don't think there is much of a market there to be honest. I think you would be lucky to dump him at no cost.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I don't see anyone taking on Gourde / Johnson unless there is a significant sweetener attached.

I love these takes from Habs fans. Johnson is a four time 20 goal scorer, twice with 29 so almost a 30 goal scorer, is pacing for 20 again this year. He has a career ppg of 0.64ppg which averages to 53 points a season. He makes 5M for four years after this which is more than fair value. Gourde is a career 0.59ppg player, one of the best two way players on a top team. These guys need a sweetener to be moved. Yet Tatar who was a cap dump because he failed so miserably in Vegas is worth a 1st + A prospect +, I just don't get it.

Neither Johnson or Gourde are struggling that bad where you need to add a significant sweetener to move them. They are both very good middle 6 wingers who are under contract for at least the next four years at reasonable costs, if they were UFA they'd be getting more term and money. Gourde is being asked to babysit two rookies and play a defensive role which he is great at, sure his offense will struggle there who's wouldn't? It's not like he's in the top 6 struggling. Johnson is playing a great complimentary winger role, he isn't needed to carry the load anymore and isn't getting PP1 time yet his production is still steady. Both guys are quality players but mi8be moved for cap purposes not because of their play, same thing with Miller and look how that turned out.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
The past 3 years he's been a 45 to 50 pt player. He's 5'8 and turning 30 with 4 years remaining at 5M AAV? I don't think there is much of a market there to be honest. I think you would be lucky to dump him at no cost.
Yeah why would anyone want a consistent 20ish goal scorer, who plays centre and wing, at a reasonable 5 million for 4 more years. Much rather go for Tomas Tatar...who is 2 inches taller, weighs the same, produces the same, is the same age, and costs more for 2 years.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I love these takes from Habs fans. Johnson is a four time 20 goal scorer, twice with 29 so almost a 30 goal scorer, is pacing for 20 again this year. He has a career ppg of 0.64ppg which averages to 53 points a season. He makes 5M for four years after this which is more than fair value. Gourde is a career 0.59ppg player, one of the best two way players on a top team. These guys need a sweetener to be moved. Yet Tatar who was a cap dump because he failed so miserably in Vegas is worth a 1st + A prospect +, I just don't get it.

Neither Johnson or Gourde are struggling that bad where you need to add a significant sweetener to move them. They are both very good middle 6 wingers who are under contract for at least the next four years at reasonable costs, if they were UFA they'd be getting more term and money. Gourde is being asked to babysit two rookies and play a defensive role which he is great at, sure his offense will struggle there who's wouldn't? It's not like he's in the top 6 struggling. Johnson is playing a great complimentary winger role, he isn't needed to carry the load anymore and isn't getting PP1 time yet his production is still steady. Both guys are quality players but mi8be moved for cap purposes not because of their play, same thing with Miller and look how that turned out.

If you don't understand why Tatar merits a 1st + and feel he is a fair comparable to Gourde / Johnson then you have problems. Habs do not want your capdumps period. Johnson's contract will end when he is well in his 30's. He's a terrible buy option. Gourde was just a mistake in giving him that big contract.

Good luck dumping them on someone else though. Habs would have less than zero interest and i suspect that would be the same for all GM's in the league. Except maybe Benning?

Reactions: Prairie Habs

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
If you don't understand why Tatar merits a 1st + and feel he is a fair comparable to Gourde / Johnson then you have problems. Habs do not want your capdumps period. Johnson's contract will end when he is well in his 30's. He's a terrible buy option. Gourde was just a mistake in giving him that big contract.

Good luck dumping them on someone else though. Habs would have less than zero interest and i suspect that would be the same for all GM's in the league. Except maybe Benning?
Johnson is a cap dump, producing the same rates as Tatar. But Tatar is a 1st plus prospect. What kind of mental gymnastics do you have to perform to reach that conclusion?

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Johnson is a cap dump, producing the same rates as Tatar. But Tatar is a 1st plus prospect. What kind of mental gymnastics do you have to perform to reach that conclusion?

Tatar is producing at 70+ points this season. 58 points last season. How is that comparable to Johnson? What kind of math are you applying there? 1.2X multiplier? lol

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Tatar is producing at 70+ points this season. 58 points last season. How is that comparable to Johnson?
Johnson had almost 30 goals last season, and played the majority of this season on the third line. Still will break 20 goals. You have been saying since Tatar has been a 6 time 20 goal scorer, and over their career, they produce the same ppg rates, why is it so outlandish to say that Tatar and Johnson produce the same?

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Johnson had almost 30 goals last season, and played the majority of this season on the third line. Still will break 20 goals. You have been saying since Tatar has been a 6 time 20 goal scorer, and over their career, they produce the same ppg rates, why is it so outlandish to say that Tatar and Johnson produce the same?

What matters is what they are doing now. Johnson is producing at a 0.5PPG pace at 5M dollars. 4 years left entering his 30's. That contract is going to become rancid very soon. You would be lucky to dump him.

Tatar is producing at a 70+ point pace. He produced nearly 60pt pace last season. He's increasing his production over the course of the last 3 years. Trending up.

Its outlandish because its not true. Tatar is producing more. Look it up!

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Considering the Sergachev for ?Drouin trade, should the Habs trade with TBay again?

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Tatar >>>> Gourde / Johnson

Tatar's outproducing them by a mile over the past 2 years.
That's not the point...the point is how is Johnson a cap dump being pretty damn comparable to Tatar but Tatar is not considered one? Johnson also plays centre and wing which Tatar doesn't. Is better defensively too.

I don't get how you can make the conclusion that Johnson is a cap dump but don't see the flaw in your logic with Tatar then?

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
That's not the point...the point is how is Johnson a cap dump being pretty damn comparable to Tatar but Tatar is not considered one? Johnson also plays centre and wing which Tatar doesn't. Is better defensively too.

I don't get how you can make the conclusion that Johnson is a cap dump but don't see the flaw in your logic with Tatar then?

Because Johnson is under-producing compared to his contract. Tatar is over-producing compared to his. Its very simple really.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Considering your 1st round sweep last year in the playoffs, could the TBL afford not to improve their roster?
Seriously who do the Habs have that makes it so
TBay does better in the playoffs? Maybe Gallagher, but his health is an issue.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Seriously who do the Habs have that makes it so
TBay does better in the playoffs? Maybe Gallagher, but his health is an issue.

Your right - there is no one on the Habs roster that can crack the TBL roster. Does that make you feel better? lol

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Because Johnson is under-producing compared to his contract. Tatar is over-producing compared to his. Its very simple really.
5 million in the NHL right now is 20 goal scorer. Johnson is on pace for exactly what he's worth. He also plays defense and plays centre and wing. He's perfectly in line with what he is supposed to get paid. Tatar is overachieving though.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
5 million in the NHL right now is 20 goal scorer. Johnson is on pace for exactly what he's worth. He also plays defense and plays centre and wing. He's perfectly in line with what he is supposed to get paid. Tatar is overachieving though.

TBL forum posters are absolutely the worst. You can't accept that any of your players are under-performing. There's always an excuse followed by other teams would be lucky to have the likes of Gourde / Johnson at their caphits.

Here's a newsflash for you - Those guys are bad bets due to their contracts and lack of production. I don't see anyone trading for them unless salary is going back.

Reactions: Prairie Habs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->