Proposal: TB/MTL: Domi and Gourde?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
So someone is going to trade you a player just as good as Domi on a cheap contract so they have to pay him more? I don’t see that making sense

You are allowed to say no. But it's a good offer IMO. Sergachev stuck behind Hedman and MacDonagh on the LD side it appears. Adding a talent like Domi might make the Lightning better. Only reason why I would trade Domi is I would be considering to extend Tatar.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
You are allowed to say no. But it's a good offer IMO. Sergachev stuck behind Hedman and MacDonagh on the LD side it appears. Adding a talent like Domi might make the Lightning better. Only reason why I would trade Domi is I would be considering to extend Tatar.

View it from the other side, if you have a young player signed to a really good contract would you trade him for equal value for a guy that has no contract that you suspect might be looking for a fair bit of money? I wasn’t trying to be rude or sound rude I am just saying..

But I thought you were saying you only want to trade him for someone on a good contract, I guess someone without a contract might be better but Tampa does not have the space to be giving Domi the money he will be looking for.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
View it from the other side, if you have a young player signed to a really good contract would you trade him for equal value for a guy that has no contract that you suspect might be looking for a fair bit of money? I wasn’t trying to be rude or sound rude I am just saying..

But I thought you were saying you only want to trade him for someone on a good contract, I guess someone without a contract might be better but Tampa does not have the space to be giving Domi the money he will be looking for.

Both Sergachev and Domi are RFA's that need new contracts after this year right? That type of team control assets and age is what we would be looking for in a Domi trade. Previously I would have engaged in Domi+ for Nurse+ but now that Nurse has two years and then UFA, I pass on that.

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
The only scenario I can envision where Domi gets traded is a straight hockey trade, likely one-for-one, where a youngish D man (21-25) who is either currently playing top 4 mins or could play top 4 mins next year is coming back. That D man would likely be a LD with team control.

But, I think the most likely scenario is Domi is not traded and signs this summer. I don't see a contract problem coming and if there is, Habs can take him to arb and try again next year when there are lots of roster questions to be answered. His QO is something like $3.5M so he will definitely be qualified.

Personally, I see a 5-6 yr deal for $5.5-6.5M AAV coming this summer. There is some idea that the Habs don't really need Domi as they have a bunch of young centres coming but Domi should be able to transition back to wing without much issue. He's been a winger most of his career and brings a lot of speed, skill, and grit to the team. I don't really see a fit with Tampa and if the basis of this deal is the idea that Domi will be asking for too much $, the Habs are in a much better position to deal with that than Tampa.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
The only scenario I can envision where Domi gets traded is a straight hockey trade, likely one-for-one, where a youngish D man (21-25) who is either currently playing top 4 mins or could play top 4 mins next year is coming back. That D man would likely be a LD with team control.

But, I think the most likely scenario is Domi is not traded and signs this summer. I don't see a contract problem coming and if there is, Habs can take him to arb and try again next year when there are lots of roster questions to be answered. His QO is something like $3.5M so he will definitely be qualified.

Personally, I see a 5-6 yr deal for $5.5-6.5M AAV coming this summer. There is some idea that the Habs don't really need Domi as they have a bunch of young centres coming but Domi should be able to transition back to wing without much issue. He's been a winger most of his career and brings a lot of speed, skill, and grit to the team. I don't really see a fit with Tampa and if the basis of this deal is the idea that Domi will be asking for too much $, the Habs are in a much better position to deal with that than Tampa.

It is also valuable to have a winger than can shift to center in the event of an injury. Which is why I think its unlikely Montreal moves Domi unless its an incredible offer (or his contract demands are ludicrous, in which case Tampa wouldn't be able to afford him anyways).

Reactions: Video Coach

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad