Speculation: Taylor Hall

Where does Hall end up?

• Total voters

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Leafs trade Marner and AJ to free up space to sign AP @ 8.5x7 and hall @ 5.5 x 1.
Move Freddie to Arizona plus a pick for Kuemper.

No offense but those are PlayStation GM type moves.

Who trades for Marner and can fit that cap hit in where they only send futures back? You think a rebuilding team does that? What team has futures to spare, cap space, and the right timing to make a move like that? I'm curious to see what teams can pull that off?

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
At gunpoint?
Actually incriminating pictures!
TBH I think he is in the perfect place right now to sign a 1 or 2 year deal, at a decent cap hit, to go to a team and try to win and be put with top talent linemates.

Colorado makes sense, Rangers, Toronto.
Teams that on a 1 year deal can max his signing bonuses to protect him from a shortened season, and where he is gonna have really good linemates.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
I added the most often mentioned teams from the megathread.

Missed Calgary and Montreal, now added to bottom of poll. You can change your vote at any time.

Last edited:

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
TBH I think he is in the perfect place right now to sign a 1 or 2 year deal, at a decent cap hit, to go to a team and try to win and be put with top talent linemates.

Teams that on a 1 year deal can max his signing bonuses to protect him from a shortened season, and where he is gonna have really good linemates.

I don't see it, I think he's going to ask for security. Players want that guaranteed cash more than hoping to cashing once the cap goes back up, IMO.

Reactions: sabresEH

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
No offense but those are PlayStation GM type moves.

Who trades for Marner and can fit that cap hit in where they only send futures back? You think a rebuilding team does that? What team has futures to spare, cap space, and the right timing to make a move like that? I'm curious to see what teams can pull that off?
I think a few teams are gonna really struggle to hit the cap floor, and Marner is a 90pt winger making 7m in actual dollars, with a 10.9m cap hit. I think in the new realities for NHL teams thats valuable.
Marner + 15 to Ottawa for Gaborik (3.075m if uninsured) 3, 5 and Formenton.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think a few teams are gonna really struggle to hit the cap floor, and Marner is a 90pt winger making 7m in actual dollars, with a 10.9m cap hit. I think in the new realities for NHL teams thats valuable.

Cap floor teams are rebuilding and would value their futures. You think the Sens want anything to do with Marner's contract when they didn't want to keep Karlsson in their rebuild years? $31.4M in signing bonus money up front over the next 4 years? You know who their owner is right? Chabot got $0M in signing bonus money in that 8 year deal BTW

Got another team you think fits? Not saying it's impossible cause it's Marner, but do you get the point? Nylander's contract is much easier to move vs Marner's! Reality

Here are the amount of signing bonus money at play right now (See below). You need to realize that not all owners like it! Might be part of the problem with the Blues and Pietrangelo. Also, numbers below for actual salary don't count AHL contracts. We have been hearing the $70M or under budget many teams want to be at. Assuming that is total of 1 way contracts and 2 way contracts in the AHL. I have yet to add that up. Takes time

Almost 25% of the actual salary has been paid already for next season by NHL owners. Leafs in 1st by a wide margin. Some owners (Coyotes for example) are not happy with this! They had $20M he had to fork out when revenue is low and he was late on those payments too!

TYLx3si.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Patagonia

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Would the Avs owner want to give a contract with lots of signing bonus money? They are ranked 29th in that area right now. Just curious to see if the Avs owner would be willing to do that for Hall?

Reactions: Guttersniped

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Don't know but he has to be cursing Pietrangelo and St.Louis right now.
There is only a very limited amount of capspace available in UFA right now anyways. And Hall has gone from the clear #1 option to almost an afterthought due to Pietrangelo being available. Most of the teams that could use an upgrade on the wing also could use a Norris level #1 D and will certainly try to get that guy first.
Hall will probably get paid anyways but he won't get what he wants from a team he would like to play for.
Still believe he is Canada bound. Either Calgary or Montreal with Boston as the most realistic option in the US..

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
If he's willing to sign a shorter term deal to win Colorado is the easy answer. If he's looking for a playoff team long term I'd say Calgary if they move Gaudreau.

Reactions: Mac Attack

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
I think he'll go to Colorado. He could make the difference they need to win a cup and is miles more attractive of a situation than the other teams on the list. Would have voted for Boston if Marchand and Bergeron were younger.

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
Colorado has space, though they'll have some big contract renewals in the next two years. But I could see him getting term if he comes down a bit on the AAV there, and it fits his desire to want to be competitive. Plus it's not an old core.

Rangers are another young team that could end up being quite competitive in short order, and knowing they got Lafreniere for three years on entry level may make him look there. Though I don't know how well he fits cap structure.

Carolina is my dark horse. Young core, good defensive core too. They've been very competitive the last couple years. Most of their core is locked in.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Would the Avs owner want to give a contract with lots of signing bonus money? They are ranked 29th in that area right now. Just curious to see if the Avs owner would be willing to do that for Hall?

Are you suggesting the basis for concern is one of Time-Value-Money or one of solvency? I can assure you it’s not the latter. It’s hard to know if the former is relevant to what Hall thinks is most important.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Colorado for 1 year, then Seattle for 7 after.

lol @ Rangers being on that list. last thing NYR needs is a wing.

SRHRangers

Aug 18, 2020
The Rangers should be taken off this poll. Panarin, LaF, Krieder have real estate on the LW.

Colorado makes sense, but this feels like a Boston signing.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Avs haven't really had any contracts lately that would have required signing bonuses though. Maybe Rantanen but he was an RFA without arbitration rights.

That'll likely change soon though with a few upcoming deals from 2021 onwards.

Also, I'm not sure but it's possible that Sakic's offer to Panarin last summer included some bonuses.

Blitz

Let's Go B-U-F-F-A-L-O!!!
Dec 14, 2009
Ontario
Buffalo Sabres.

Hall loves Ralph Krueger, Ralph loves Hall.

Buffalo has money, cap space & a desperate need for an elite left winger to play w Jack.

Trade Reinhart's RFA rights to CGY for Hanifin+ (rumoured to be on the block...), sabres upgrade at wing and D, Flames get their top-6 RW as well... Even if it's not Taylor.

Hall-Eichel-Olofsson
Skinner-Staal-Cozens

Dahlin-Jokiharju
Hanifin-Montour/Risto

Homina-homina!!!

LionsHeart

Mar 25, 2009
Queens, NY
Absolutely no way the Rangers sign him. Left Wing is one of their most stacked positions.

I think he winds up in Colorado. They can pay him, and he gets a shot at the cup.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Avs haven't really had any contracts lately that would have required signing bonuses though. Maybe Rantanen but he was an RFA without arbitration rights.

That'll likely change soon though with a few upcoming deals from 2021 onwards.

Also, I'm not sure but it's possible that Sakic's offer to Panarin last summer included some bonuses.

Hard to know what the Avs owner would think about it. You did trade for Kadri who had $2M for 3 years of singing bonus money. That's pretty much all the Avs owner has paid this offseason.

Some recent examples..
- Point got $7.75M on his bridge deal
- McAvoy got $3.5M on his bride deal
- M Tkachuk got $7.5M on his bridge deal
- Rantanen got $0
- Girard got $0M
- Laine got $0M

Reactions: Richard88

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
Dude, you are out to lunch on Mars. Ottawa isn’t trading away 14 years of cost controlled talent(+ Formenton) for 5 years of Marner and the 15th.
As well, an oft injured player like Taylor Hall isn’t signing a 1 year deal when he will have multiple 7 year offers on the table. AND if this guy does decide to take a one year deal, it won’t be for less than he is currently making.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad