Value of: Taylor Hall

Mooserton

Oct 4, 2013
Colorado
I wonder what's the deadline or how many games the Devils have to lose until Hall decides he doesn't want to stay in New Jersey. I think NJ could turn things around as it's still early, but if he came to the decision he doesn't want to stay, it'd be in the Devils best interest to trade him as soon as they could (as soon as a good proposal comes up). I think the earlier you trade a player in the season, the better the return.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I wonder what's the deadline or how many games the Devils have to lose until Hall decides he doesn't want to stay in New Jersey. I think NJ could turn things around as it's still early, but if he came to the decision he doesn't want to stay, it'd be in the Devils best interest to trade him as soon as they could (as soon as a good proposal comes up). I think the earlier you trade a player in the season, the better the return.
What's interesting in this for me, and it was the same thing for the Judas saga on LI, it's amazing how much of a bias there is for the short term. Hall is going to sign (unless he sets the precedent similar to the NBA of 2-3 yr deals) a 7-8 year contract. 7 with another, 8 with the Devils likely. Should this season matter so much? Or the direction of the team?

Personally, I feel like the Devils are a good team to sign a long term deal with knowing you have Nico and Hughes down the middle. That would sell me.

Reactions: Dumais

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Calgary can offer:
2020 protected 1st rounder + Sam Bennett + Michael Frolik (cap purposes) + Prospect not named Valiamki/Dube/Pelletier; would need to have contract discussions with Taylor before the trade though, because I'd want him long term on the team in case of Gaudreau packing it home.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm
Hall - Backlund - Tkachuk

Lol top 6.
Why not work something out with Hall and Gaudreau (Who's from the Jersey area - I think)? The two organizations can pack some bits and pieces around the primaries in both packages.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

Probably, waiting till the draft deadline has salary cap implications though making it easier for a a contending team to absorb Hall's contract.

But seeing what Mark Stone brought in return I think Devils fans should expect to be disappointed.

But then again given how the teams fortunes are going so far this season they might be ready for disappointment.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
What's interesting in this for me, and it was the same thing for the Judas saga on LI, it's amazing how much of a bias there is for the short term. Hall is going to sign (unless he sets the precedent similar to the NBA of 2-3 yr deals) a 7-8 year contract. 7 with another, 8 with the Devils likely. Should this season matter so much? Or the direction of the team?

Personally, I feel like the Devils are a good team to sign a long term deal with knowing you have Nico and Hughes down the middle. That would sell me.

I think teams are going to wait and see how Karlsson does in San Jose before overcommitting salary and term to a guy like Hall as forwards tend not to age as well as Dmen.

But all it takes is one desperate GM...

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY

Not always the case. In the offseason you'd scoff at a 2nd for a run of the mill player, but at the deadline it's often reasonable. Also, the team would now be taking the entirety of his cap number. At the deadline, that's a lot more realistic as most contenders are relatively close to the cap.

With that said, Hall does have an injury history, so the more you wait, the more risk you take on.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Why not work something out with Hall and Gaudreau (Who's from the Jersey area - I think)? The two organizations can pack some bits and pieces around the primaries in both packages.
Probably because the Flames aren't interested in downgrading while also adding 5M to the cap.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Probably because the Flames aren't interested in downgrading while also adding 5M to the cap.
I would agree except for the fact that the current genius running the Flames traded a top scorer for the worst contract and player currently in the league.

Anything is possible with the bunch currently running the Flames.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I wonder if this trade will happen early in the year instead of the deadline like most rental deals.

Can’t see Hall waiting to re-sign. Devils probably don’t want to risk waiting because of his injury history.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
There's no way Hall is staying in that **** show. Too bad because they could really use his lottery magic again.

Mooserton

Oct 4, 2013
Colorado

Because Hall is 28 at the end of this year, doesn't line up age wise with Hughes, Butcher, Hischier, etc. Devils are building a good core, but realistically it'll be 3-4 years before they can contend. For a guy that's been on rebuilding teams for his entire career he may want to join a contender now while he's at his peak.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
Hall would fit well with San Jose’s hybrid system. I doubt we have the cap space or pieces to trade for him, but Doug has pulled off crazier trades.

Reactions: themelkman

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Because Hall is 28 at the end of this year, doesn't line up age wise with Hughes, Butcher, Hischier, etc. Devils are building a good core, but realistically it'll be 3-4 years before they can contend. For a guy that's been on rebuilding teams for his entire career he may want to join a contender now while he's at his peak.
I don't disagree with the last line but who do you go to? Blues can't fit him. Without rattling off teams, it's very hard to manage. It's so rare for a playoff contender much less cup contender add a huge UFA like Hall to their team, they're already good because they spend to the cap on talent. Panarin went to the Rangers and they're a long shot at the playoffs. I mean if you keep adding talent and the kids do well who knows but the same logic can apply to the Devils no?

I just think you need some good vets to win, the whole core can't be the same age. Having an older Hall to a younger Nico and Jack should be a positive.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Taylor Hall has me interested for two things, he openly mentioned he is taking the JT route to heart. Duchene did the same. He wasn't drafted by the Devils either.

So 1, I think we may not see the Devils go the Isles/CBJ route with holding on. I think the decision gets made earlier.

2, as mentioned, Hall has like 5 games of playoff history. I passively mentioned it before with NBA contracts but wouldn't it be interesting to see shorter term? Say Hall goes to Colorado for one year at 10, lines up before Makar gets his raise and Landeskog's contract has one year left. Leaves decisions out there.

Just spitballing.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Hall would fit well with San Jose’s hybrid system. I doubt we have the cap space or pieces to trade for him, but Doug has pulled off crazier trades.
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we traded for him. He'd be a great fit in SJ.

Hall - Hertl - Kane
Meier - Couture - Labanc

Yes please.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Taylor Hall has me interested for two things, he openly mentioned he is taking the JT route to heart. Duchene did the same. He wasn't drafted by the Devils either.

So 1, I think we may not see the Devils go the Isles/CBJ route with holding on. I think the decision gets made earlier.

2, as mentioned, Hall has like 5 games of playoff history. I passively mentioned it before with NBA contracts but wouldn't it be interesting to see shorter term? Say Hall goes to Colorado for one year at 10, lines up before Makar gets his raise and Landeskog's contract has one year left. Leaves decisions out there.

Just spitballing.
His injury history makes that a really bad plan for Hall.

Reactions: Barnaby

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Jersey would be dumb to keep him, Hall isn't re-signing there. NJ sucks right now and Hall will test his ego in Free Agency. There are so many red flags here and unless you're blinded by homerism.

Devil's best move is to move Hall early and recoup the biggest package they can get. They can move forward with a young, cheap core where they have flexibility around Subban's contract. Last thing you need a is young team anchored by 2 massive contracts to older star players who can't live up to it.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

Yes, please try selling the long term argument to a soon to be 28 year old 10 year NHL vet who has been on constant losing teams his career and has 5 playoff games to his name.

You have playoff teams with capspace like Calgary, Carolina, Vegas and SJS who could fit Hall next year, can Hall afford to lose 2-3 more years of his prime when he can go compete now? Let's reiterate the case for Jersey, they drafted 1st overall last season, were the 3rd worst team in the league and have no won a game yet this season. To convince Hall they're "trending in the right direction", they need to at minimum make the playoffs this season.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
I think he would be great but it likely would just be a rental pickup as I dont see a way we could keep him past this year. Devils likely would rather work on a sign and trade if Hall was willing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad