Speculation: Taylor Hall on the block?

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010
Like I said, I don’t think it’ll happen but we DO have assets to trade for an expiring Hall contract: any of Gregor, Chlemevski, Checkhovich, Dillon, some picks, Merkley, hell even Goodrow (you know DW can spin him into a top 6 forward/elite PKer...).

you know, we got Karlsson for Tierney, Norris and Balcers... we have those kind of players available.

Again — unlikely? Sure. Impossible? See: DW’s track record.

Don’t forget Dumbmelo

I hear him getting his extension Is what sealed the the deal

After that Dorian had to pull the trigger LOL

Pistol Pete

Dec 17, 2007
LeBrun: What options do the Devils have with Taylor Hall — and who could swing a trade?
LeBrun: What options do the Devils have with Taylor Hall —...

“• San Jose: Really, I just don’t know that the Sharks can get into it. To start, Ottawa owns their first-round pick courtesy of the Erik Karlsson trade. I don’t know if a 2021 first-round pick would cut it, and does it make any sense for San Jose to trade away another one? But I can’t help but list the Sharks even as an outlier because GM Doug Wilson loves big-game hunting.“

Some other interesting tidbits from the article is that Pierre could see the Devils retaining salary to open up more options for a potential Hall trade. He also mentions the Stone deal from last year as a good comp for a potential Hall deal (as I’ve been previously speculating).

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
LeBrun: What options do the Devils have with Taylor Hall — and who could swing a trade?
LeBrun: What options do the Devils have with Taylor Hall —...

“• San Jose: Really, I just don’t know that the Sharks can get into it. To start, Ottawa owns their first-round pick courtesy of the Erik Karlsson trade. I don’t know if a 2021 first-round pick would cut it, and does it make any sense for San Jose to trade away another one? But I can’t help but list the Sharks even as an outlier because GM Doug Wilson loves big-game hunting.“

Some other interesting tidbits from the article is that Pierre could see the Devils retaining salary to open up more options for a potential Hall trade. He also mentions the Stone deal from last year as a good comp for a potential Hall deal (as I’ve been previously speculating).
Hasn't Hall said he won't sign until after the season though? Stone already had a deal worked out before he was traded. I'd expect more of an EK deal than a Stone deal. More quantity than quality.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Hasn't Hall said he won't sign until after the season though? Stone already had a deal worked out before he was traded. I'd expect more of an EK deal than a Stone deal. More quantity than quality.

But karlsson had 1 year left on his deal and was dealt during training camp.

Unless something changes at the deadline, hall will be seen strictly as a rental.

Hatrick Marleau

Just Win The Game
May 16, 2012
That would be pretty awful for us
I don’t think it’d be straight up because signed Meier has more value than Hall as a pending UFA. Perhaps sending a cap dump or 2 the other way. I don’t think it’d be an awful trade when you’re getting the best player in the deal. Trading Meier would free up space to sign Hall. The Sharks could really use a dynamic game breaking forward in their top 6.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
I don’t think it’d be straight up because signed Meier has more value than Hall as a pending UFA. Perhaps sending a cap dump or 2 the other way. I don’t think it’d be an awful trade when you’re getting the best player in the deal. Trading Meier would free up space to sign Hall. The Sharks could really use a dynamic game breaking forward in their top 6.
Yeah but trading Meier means that we still keep the hole in the top six, and not give ourselves anyway to fill it with Hall making 11.5 mil next year

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

It wouldn't happen at all because there's no way that DW moves Meier for a rental even if he's confident in signing him. New Jersey has no leverage for such an ask and they have no adds that truly make up for that to go with the risk of renting Hall at such a high price. If the Sharks get Hall, it's going to be at the cost of someone like Merkley or Chekhovich or Chmelevski and other futures with some cap going the other way in some combination of Dillon, Karlsson, and some other cheap contracts like Heed or Radil or whatever. It's like a 2 or 3% chance of happening but that's what it would look like.

The Stone comp is not a good one if Hall has told everyone involved that he's not looking to sign an extension until the off-season. And he got Brannstrom, a plug, and a 2nd. I'd expect a Sharks deal to look something like Hall@50% and Domingue for Dell, Dillon, Merkley, and a '21 1st. Either that will save them a million off the cap to use elsewhere or they would lighten up on the retention for Hall and have his cap hit be like 4 mil.

I do expect that to get beat though so I'm not putting too much hope into this idea. lol

SouthWest

Apr 16, 2013
Canada
The Sharks should be staying far away from Hall. I honestly have zero interest in his services on this team.

He'll be turning 29 next year, is a bandaid who has played 70+ games only 4 times in his career. He has cleared 80+ points twice and 30 goals all of once, and it is probably just me, but I'm not a fan of his game style either, at all.

He's going to get drastically over paid...

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The Sharks should be staying far away from Hall. I honestly have zero interest in his services on this team.

He'll be turning 29 next year, is a bandaid who has played 70+ games only 4 times in his career. He has cleared 80+ points twice and 30 goals all of once, and it is probably just me, but I'm not a fan of his game style either, at all.

I more or less agree but if they can get him cheap as a rental, he'd be a good add for the team this year. I don't particularly want to invest into him any term but as a rental, I think he'd be an excellent playoff player for this team.

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
Put me in the camp of not wanting to move Meier. The kid is going to keep getting better and better and will likely win the RR if we end up moving him.

Reactions: Groo and Sandisfan

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
But karlsson had 1 year left on his deal and was dealt during training camp.

Unless something changes at the deadline, hall will be seen strictly as a rental.
That's what I'm saying. I'm saying I think he goes for less than Stone because that was for him extended and I don't think that'll be a good comparable for Hall

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
That's what I'm saying. I'm saying I think he goes for less than Stone because that was for him extended and I don't think that'll be a good comparable for Hall
there is no way he goes for as much as stone unless hes signed

im going with

1st rounder and two B prospects or a prospect and a middle 6 forward at the deadline

Reactions: themelkman

Sharks7

Jan 14, 2006

I agree completely and would add the players the sharks should be going after are more physical players AKA power forwards that are not injury prone.

Reactions: Groo

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
I agree completely and would add the players the sharks should be going after are more physical players AKA power forwards that are not injury prone.
I think they're good for power forward type players assuming Meier continues to progress. I'd like to see a shifty, speedy, game breaker added to the top 6. An ankle breaker. Kind of like adding a deep threat in football so your running back has more room. Hall fits the bill but I'm not sold that he's at all realistic.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

Like who? Physical players that aren’t injury prone are like unicorns.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad