Speculation: Taylor Hall on the block?

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
i think based on LeBruns speculation, your looking at a trade similar to Stone's where he comes with an extension but the team gives up a prospect like Brannstrom and additional lesser assets.

Based on the main boards, Montreal could be a player for him using Suzuki,

I thought the speculation suggested that the trade would actually come without an extension...

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Without an extension the return won’t be good. If he doesn’t want to negotiate until after the season then the Devils are in a bad situation. Trading him now is far superior than at the deadline. You’re giving whatever team acquires him 50+ games to see how he fits and if possible work out an extension. Best case scenario is a conditional 1st if he re-signs. Most likely he’ll get a couple decent mid tier prospects, a borderline current top 6 forward/top 4 dman and a 2nd.

Jwec

Dec 21, 2015
Finland
I remember that Hall really liked hanging out with Pavs and Burns during ASG some years ago. Shame that Pavs isn't here anymore but I bet Hall saw that we have great culture and good "pöhinä" like we would say in Finnish in our team. So he could be very open to signing with us if we trade for him. I just don't know how we could fit him under our cap. If I am correct, we would need to free 4-million. Maybe Melker + something and then Merkley, Dillon even though I like Dilly but I think Ferraro and Heed/Prout could at least somewhat fill Dilly's role as 6th defenseman.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
No thanks, he is too expensive to obtain, and way too expensive to re-sign.

He’s a great player, but we just can’t afford to make this move now.

Depends on what the ask is from us. If they can pull off a Hall and Domingue where they retain some on Hall for Karlsson, Dell, Chekhovich or Chmelevski or Merkley plus a conditional pick or two I think you make that deal whether he re-signs or not.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
Depends on what the ask is from us. If they can pull off a Hall and Domingue where they retain some on Hall for Karlsson, Dell, Chekhovich or Chmelevski or Merkley plus a conditional pick or two I think you make that deal whether he re-signs or not.

You’re taking 7.15 mil in cap and returning 3.9 mil, when we have about 1 mil in cap now? How is this deal gonna work exactly?

Also there is no chance Melker gets traded. I know most/all of us would trade him in a heartbeat, but just like in the offseason, Doug doesn’t have the heart to trade Melker. He’s a good soldier, who Pete loves, and is without a doubt viewed as integral to the leagues best PK whether we like it or not.

However sure, if we get some absolute sweetheart of a deal for Hall I’d absolutely love to add him to our team. However just like we didn’t trade all our riff raff in the offseason for legit top 6 forward, I still highly doubt we do it now.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
DW is a wizard, but it is in part BECAUSE of the EK65 trade that Hall to the Sharks won't happen. That trade and subsequent re-signing depleted both our assets and cap space.

Cap space maybe, but assets? Those were dime a dozen players we gave up (unless you’re referring to the first rounder).

Sharksfan83

Jul 27, 2010
Our cap structure doesn't really make Hall a fit here at all. We are very top heavy with our cap and unless we move one of the big three defencemen, we can't really add another top tier player with a top tier cap hit.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Our cap structure doesn't really make Hall a fit here at all. We are very top heavy with our cap and unless we move one of the big three defencemen, we can't really add another top tier player with a top tier cap hit.

It depends on the young players.

Hertl-Hall-Meier
Kane-Couture-Labanc
Sorensen-Gambrell-Goodrow
Bergmann-Suomela-True
Kellman, Letunov

Vlasic-Karlsson
Simek-Burns
Ferraro-Desimone
Middleton

Jones
Shortridge

That should fit under the cap. But, you can see potential problems. That bottom six could be the league's worst, as could that third pairing. They also wouldn't help much on special teams.

Sharksfan83

Jul 27, 2010
It depends on the young players.

Hertl-Hall-Meier
Kane-Couture-Labanc
Sorensen-Gambrell-Goodrow
Bergmann-Suomela-True
Kellman, Letunov

Vlasic-Karlsson
Simek-Burns
Ferraro-Desimone
Middleton

Jones
Shortridge

That should fit under the cap. But, you can see potential problems. That bottom six could be the league's worst, as could that third pairing. They also wouldn't help much on special teams.

1 or 2 injuries and that team is struggling. I think it'd be a bad move adding another high salary player. That bottom 6 is horrible

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Only way I move LaBanc is if Hall is going to re-sign 100%. No point moving Labanc if the return is a rental.
I'm betting it wouldn't take Labanc to get him. Sharks didn't give up anything close to Labanc in the EK65 deal. Only problem is that it probably takes at least a 1st with a conditional 2nd along with the prospects they'll ask for. Maybe something like blichfield and another minor leaguer along with melker with the first and cold 2nd? Maybe another pick or prospect to get them to retain if they need to? Doubt they could resign him but if they could he's the perfect age to add to this teams core. I just don't know how they could afford him without moving jones and Vlassic in the off season. He's not getting 11.5 though. He doesn't have the numbers to command that. He's had really 2 maybe 3 great years. His MVP season he was given every opportunity to be the guy and to his credit he produced but he's no Panarin.

Don't ever forget how much DW likes acquiring stars. This guy is right in DWs wheel house.

Last edited:

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
Adding to this...DW is a wizard because he does call GMs all the time. He can be a few steps ahead, with regard to expansion drafts and contracts. He’s also a great salesman. He sells players as serviceable not slam dunks.
He is a better GM than some give him credit for. That is my opinion.

Go Sharks!!

Reactions: Erep

Beethovens 10th

du bist ein ungeduldiges Eichhörnchen!
Sep 27, 2017
Zentralfriedhof
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

tenor.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Saskatoon

Aug 24, 2006
Saskatoon
Vlasic for Hall (50%) retained. (NJ mafia gets Vlasic to waive NTC)

In all seriousness I feel SJ doesnt have the cap space nor the assets to make this happen but if anyone can figure it out its DW

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
You’re taking 7.15 mil in cap and returning 3.9 mil, when we have about 1 mil in cap now? How is this deal gonna work exactly?

Also there is no chance Melker gets traded. I know most/all of us would trade him in a heartbeat, but just like in the offseason, Doug doesn’t have the heart to trade Melker. He’s a good soldier, who Pete loves, and is without a doubt viewed as integral to the leagues best PK whether we like it or not.

However sure, if we get some absolute sweetheart of a deal for Hall I’d absolutely love to add him to our team. However just like we didn’t trade all our riff raff in the offseason for legit top 6 forward, I still highly doubt we do it now.

You missed the part where I said they would retain and for a team like the Devils that’s pretty easy to make happen. And I don’t buy that DW wouldn’t trade Melker for a big ticket player if it makes sense for the deal. I also doubt it gets done but saying no out of hand is irrational.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Cap space maybe, but assets? Those were dime a dozen players we gave up (unless you’re referring to the first rounder).

1st round pick, 1st round draft selection (Norris), cost controlled 3C (Tierney/RFA) and a bottom pairing D (Demelo) and Balcers (1.5 ppg in AHL) with Perron as an offset (already washed out of the Sharks system).

We don't have a 2020 1st, Merkeley is our only 1st round pick in the system but is damaged goods, perhaps Gambrell is a Tierney comp, we arguably don't have anyone as good as Balcers in the AHL, and Heed *might* be a comp for Demelo. I don't believe we have the pieces ans can't afford to creating holes in the roster and further depleting future depth (Gambrell being the most likely Thornton replacement) dor a rental.

Reactions: Tkachuk4MVP

Pistol Pete

Dec 17, 2007
1st round pick, 1st round draft selection (Norris), cost controlled 3C (Tierney/RFA) and a bottom pairing D (Demelo) and Balcers (1.5 ppg in AHL) with Perron as an offset (already washed out of the Sharks system).

We don't have a 2020 1st, Merkeley is our only 1st round pick in the system but is damaged goods, perhaps Gambrell is a Tierney comp, we arguably don't have anyone as good as Balcers in the AHL, and Heed *might* be a comp for Demelo. I don't believe we have the pieces ans can't afford to creating holes in the roster and further depleting future depth (Gambrell being the most likely Thornton replacement) dor a rental.
True, but that package brought in a 2x Norris winning RD for one full season. Hall is for half a season.

It’s probably safer to use last year’s TDL deals for Stone (high end d prospect Brannstrom, some center named Lindberg, and a 2nd) and Duchene (2 prospects, a 1st, and a conditional 2nd) as comps for a potential Hall deal.

Reactions: Red Light Lover

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad