Speculation: Taylor Hall on the block?

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
1. Nobody wants to move Meier.

2. “Likely win” a Rocket Richard? You’re kidding yourself.

oh it’s just a sharks jinx. It’s like how I pick the wrong lines at Safeway, or get stuck on the train who hits a pedestrian. My team trades a player with a high ceiling, and he breaks through. It’s bound to happen.

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
oh it’s just a sharks jinx. It’s like how I pick the wrong lines at Safeway, or get stuck on the train who hits a pedestrian. My team trades a player with a high ceiling, and he breaks through. It’s bound to happen.
Like that time the Sharks traded future Norris Trophy winner Matt Carle... :sarcasm:

(Selective memory is a thing, but DW has done a great job unloading some future busts...)

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Like that time the Sharks traded future Norris Trophy winner Matt Carle... :sarcasm:

(Selective memory is a thing, but DW has done a great job unloading some future busts...)

But he's not perfect in this realm either. Matt Carle wasn't a bust.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
The Sharks should be staying far away from Hall. I honestly have zero interest in his services on this team.

Absolutely!

The resigning of Karlsson didn't work out great for Doug Wilson at all. Gave up a 1st round pick plus more just to resign Karlsson as a free agent. And, didn't save any money, but probably paid a bit too much.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
And there goes the Devils coach..

Should of been done the moment hall started saying things like he is tired of losing and wants to play in the playoffs.

That just screams i want out, do something to change the atmoshphere of this team.

The GM did a semi good job by bringing in subban and simmonds and then obviously the 2 1st rounders they recently got, but some times talent alone can't out do bad coaching.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
he absolutely got moved at the time his value peaked. while not a bust per say, he did not live up to the expectations people had for him

They got a good deal out of moving him of course because Dan Boyle was a hell of a player but Carle certainly lived up to expectations. Carle was a mid-2nd round pick and carved out an 11 year career where he was a solid middle pairing offensive defenseman. Nobody was expecting a top end player there.

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
They got a good deal out of moving him of course because Dan Boyle was a hell of a player but Carle certainly lived up to expectations. Carle was a mid-2nd round pick and carved out an 11 year career where he was a solid middle pairing offensive defenseman. Nobody was expecting a top end player there.
He had 11 goals and 31 assists his rookie season. From that point on, he was a bust. Him ever having a season like that was a surprise, but him having that season, then never breaking 40 points again, getting bought out, and not staying in the league even on a minimum contract at 32, was busting on the expectations you have for someone after a rookie season like that. (Which is what the sharks traded him as.)

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
He had 11 goals and 31 assists his rookie season. From that point on, he was a bust. Him ever having a season like that was a surprise, but him having that season, then never breaking 40 points again, getting bought out, and not staying in the league even on a minimum contract at 32, was busting on the expectations you have for someone after a rookie season like that. (Which is what the sharks traded him as.)

Huh? He scored 40 points in 2010-11. He averaged 32 points per 82 games over an 11 year career. For a mid-2nd round pick, that's not a bust and those numbers aren't entirely made on that one 42 point campaign. Scoring 40 points and changing your expectations of him is slanting the argument pretty heavily, don't you think? Anyone who carves out a lengthy career as a 2nd round pick is not a bust. He beat the odds by a heavy margin.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
That's pretty rare... Only one I can think of that was significant was Kipper.

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
That's pretty rare... Only one I can think of that was significant was Kipper.

I should have mentioned its my own sharks jinx. I like Meier (as most do here now I think) and he's one of the guys I wanna keep. We get rid of him, he booms. If we trade Jones, he wins the Vezna. If we trade MK68, he wins the RR. Trust me man, I suck at this...I should really go root for another team.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
I should have mentioned its my own sharks jinx. I like Meier (as most do here now I think) and he's one of the guys I wanna keep. We get rid of him, he booms. If we trade Jones, he wins the Vezna. If we trade MK68, he wins the RR. Trust me man, I suck at this...I should really go root for another team.
No, you're not going anywhere. We need you.:)

Reactions: Sandisfan

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002

I can't think of a single prospect/young player that the Sharks traded who "exceeded expectations" after the trade except for Bonino (maybe Coyle).

Carle was kind of like Brad Stuart; the Sharks knew what they had in him...a player with a lot of potential who just wasn't willing to put the work in to achieve it. Other teams were probably troubled by the drop in production but valued him on the hope that he could rebound.

Carle really had tremendous potential (another similarity to Stuart, but I digress)...perhaps the most of any player the Sharks have ever drafted.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
I can't think of a single prospect/young player that the Sharks traded who "exceeded expectations" after the trade except for Bonino (maybe Coyle).

Carle was kind of like Brad Stuart; the Sharks knew what they had in him...a player with a lot of potential who just wasn't willing to put the work in to achieve it. Other teams were probably troubled by the drop in production but valued him on the hope that he could rebound.

Carle really had tremendous potential (another similarity to Stuart, but I digress)...perhaps the most of any player the Sharks have ever drafted.
Stuart looked like he might become exceptional until he got injured a few times. Ankle I think? You could argue that he was pretty good winning a cup(s?) with Detroit though. I thought he looked good for them.

Reactions: Sandisfan

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
I can't think of a single prospect/young player that the Sharks traded who "exceeded expectations" after the trade except for Bonino (maybe Coyle)..
Gorges and Kiprusoff come to mind. Kiprusoff was highly regarded but that John guy stole the net and the Sharks moved him. They expected he had the potential to be a starting goaltender but he really blossomed in Calgary. Gorges was a throw in that ended up having a decent career.

Reactions: Phu and Sandisfan

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Gorges and Kiprusoff come to mind. Kiprusoff was highly regarded but that John guy stole the net and the Sharks moved him. They expected he had the potential to be a starting goaltender but he really blossomed in Calgary. Gorges was a throw in that ended up having a decent career.

Who's John?

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010

Im willing to take that chance with Jones no problem.

If someones willing to take him and his contract.

Thats a risk im willing to take

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad