Speculation: Taylor Hall on the block?

StarCraft

Flash > Gretzky
Apr 11, 2010
I'm just a lurker here but I remember Carle having extreme hype behind him before and after the trade. I agree he had a fine career, but IMO he didn't live up to the expectations that at least some people (myself included to an extent) seemed to have.

Reactions: Sandisfan

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010
DW is certainly on the positive side of the ledger when it comes to letting young guys go at the right time. Just saying he's not perfect.
Oh I agree no one is

bonino trade for broken legs huskins and mown wasn’t great

trading futures like 1st bill guerin was trash

I actually don’t fault him as much as some for kipprusoff deal as he was never going to get to shine here is they decided to go with nabby

the pick turned to pickles was a plus of coarse but regardless it was fair trade

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Oh I agree no one is

bonino trade for broken legs huskins and mown wasn’t great

trading futures like 1st bill guerin was trash

I actually don’t fault him as much as some for kipprusoff deal as he was never going to get to shine here is they decided to go with nabby

Yeah, I don't give him anywhere near as much criticism for the Kiprusoff deal as some here do. It was absolutely clear at the time that Kipper was #3 behind Nabby and Toskala and Kipper was subject to waivers and would've been claimed. They got a 2nd for a 3rd string goalie that turned into Marc-Edouard Vlasic. It was a deal they had to make.

Reactions: Phu

Pistol Pete

Dec 17, 2007
31 Thoughts: A 'Code of Conduct' is coming to the NHL - Sportsnet.ca

Re: Hall.

“The Devils have made it clear they want first-rounders (although they are willing to discuss conditional situations, depending on the acquiring team’s ability to re-sign Hall or playoff results) and/or high-level prospects who are ready to play. They badly need defence, which is why there’s a lot of focus on Colorado as the perfect trade partner. The Avalanche have plenty of defensive prospects and think they can win. Several teams believe Arizona is making a serious effort. Hall is what they need, too. It’s believed Dallas and St. Louis are among other pursuers.”

Crazy Joe Divola

Jun 20, 2009
31 Thoughts: A 'Code of Conduct' is coming to the NHL - Sportsnet.ca

Re: Hall.

“The Devils have made it clear they want first-rounders (although they are willing to discuss conditional situations, depending on the acquiring team’s ability to re-sign Hall or playoff results) and/or high-level prospects who are ready to play. They badly need defence, which is why there’s a lot of focus on Colorado as the perfect trade partner. The Avalanche have plenty of defensive prospects and think they can win. Several teams believe Arizona is making a serious effort. Hall is what they need, too. It’s believed Dallas and St. Louis are among other pursuers.”

So Merkley and conditional first (if he resigns or sharks win cup)?

Reactions: Pistol Pete

Red Light Lover

Jun 6, 2015
Oakland, CA
Gorges and Kiprusoff come to mind. Kiprusoff was highly regarded but that John guy stole the net and the Sharks moved him. They expected he had the potential to be a starting goaltender but he really blossomed in Calgary. Gorges was a throw in that ended up having a decent career.
Kipper also shit the bed when he was given the reigns. At the time it made sense to move him.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Gorges and Kiprusoff come to mind. Kiprusoff was highly regarded but that John guy stole the net and the Sharks moved him. They expected he had the potential to be a starting goaltender but he really blossomed in Calgary. Gorges was a throw in that ended up having a decent career.

Kipper completely slipped my mind! But, that's probably because with both him and Gorges, the player really left the organization with no choice. They played horribly and were simply surpassed by other options. With Gorges, in particular, I'm not sure he would have had the career he did in the Western Conference.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Yeah, I don't give him anywhere near as much criticism for the Kiprusoff deal as some here do. It was absolutely clear at the time that Kipper was #3 behind Nabby and Toskala and Kipper was subject to waivers and would've been claimed. They got a 2nd for a 3rd string goalie that turned into Marc-Edouard Vlasic. It was a deal they had to make.

And when they sold Toskala he turned into Couture. Pretty key pillars.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
I'm just a lurker here but I remember Carle having extreme hype behind him before and after the trade. I agree he had a fine career, but IMO he didn't live up to the expectations that at least some people (myself included to an extent) seemed to have.
Yup. I specifically remember them saying he had the talent that he could be a future Norris winner.

Red Light Lover

Jun 6, 2015
Oakland, CA
IT was an embarrassment of riches to have a guy like that as color analyst for the Sharks. They've never been able to fill the massive vacuum he left.
I ruined 4000 televisions, throwing the remote at the screen, every time that a**hat said head on a swivel while he was color for the Sharks. One thing in certain, he was very polarizing amongst the fan base.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
I ruined 4000 televisions, throwing the remote at the screen, every time that a**hat said head on a swivel while he was color for the Sharks. One thing in certain, he was very polarizing amongst the fan base.

Drew had a pretty strong bias against European players, and I prefer Hedican's hockey insight. The one thing Drew had over everyone though was his rapport with Randy.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I'm pretty over Drew. I don't love Jamie but I don't think the color commentary has hurt the product since then. And I think Hedican explains hockey plays better anyways. Not sure when they stopped doing them but I think the main thing we lost with Drew was some of the fun behind the scene videos they did like:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad