Player Discussion Taylor Hall II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
What do we know? We know Hall enjoys playing in Boston. We know Hall’s scoring has increased tremendously since leaving Buffalo & arriving in Boston. It should be an easy sign.

Reactions: inactive user

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
What do we know? We know Hall enjoys playing in Boston. We know Hall’s scoring has increased tremendously since leaving Buffalo & arriving in Boston. It should be an easy sign.
I'll say this, if he walks after being such an awesome fit here then that will tell us what his real priorities are (no judgement either way, just saying).

czechmate

Jan 1, 2016
Honestly, what's another $0.25 million for a player of Hall's caliber. He is worth $7m, especially with a reasonable term like 3-4 years.

People throw around the term "discount" but I'm not sure they realize what that really means. A discount is 5-10%, not 25%. Hall will get offers of 8+ million in the UFA market, so expecting him to sign for $6m a year is absurd. This is his business after all.

Well, I certainly wouldn't blow the contract negotiations with Hall assuming there is an argument over additional 0.25m $. Hall fits very well on our roster (especially together with Krejci), revived our 2nd line and has thereby drastically increased our chances of going all the way in the playoffs, so I agree with you that such a decision would be stupid.

However, to me, the advantages of playing in the current Boston system certainly warrant a discount of more than a mere 5-10%. If your understanding of discount is a mere 5%, you might as well refuse to offer/ask for any discount.

Look at all the other star players that have agreed to a discount on our team: Pasta, Marchy and Bergy all locked in at 6.125m $ - 6.875m $, McAvoy at 4.9m $ and Carlo at 2.8m $. All of them accepted substantial discounts because they were aware of the advantages that the current Bruins organization has to offer. They are not stupid or ill advised! Quite on the contrary: they know that they could easily get an 20-50% increase on teams like Buffalo, but they are willing to waive additional money in exchange for a great locker room, relationships with the organization, chances to compete for the cup, etc.

So it is obvious that Hall could get 8m $ elsewhere. And if he wants to do so, he shouldn't be criticized. But I disagree with the widespread belief that for almost all players in this league everything is just a question of money. I think that Hall has now really understood that his 8m $ contract in Buffalo came at a price: zero success, destruction of his confidence and brutal management on top of it all.

He said it himself what it means to him playing in Boston: "It's been 16 games, it's probably been some of the most enjoyable hockey I've ever played in my career."

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
That game showed a sneak peak of what Taylor Hall could be in the playoffs. He got pushed around early on, didn’t like it, and ended up with 2 goals, one being a game winner.

He also gave a little back as well, some nice reserve hits. The cross check was a bad penalty to take but I like to see the fire, I’ll take it.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
I’m sure Vegas, Colorado etc will be hoping Hall reaches UFA & would make a pitch, as he’d be a good fit with either team.

It’s simple, in Boston Hall is a cog in the wheel. He can look ahead and play the next 3-4 years with Bergeron & Krejci, and likely longer with Marchand Pastrnak McAvoy Swayman etc.

HuskyBruinPride

Aug 1, 2011
I just have to say I love what Hall has become here. Producing well, skating hard at both ends of the rink, looking confident. It really seems like being brought into this culture has done wonders for his game. Hearing him credit Marchand for him picking his game up is great to hear as well, not a better LW in the league to learn from IMO.

RustyBruins72

Jul 29, 2005
I wanted no part of him prior to the deadline. My phone blew up overnight when he got dealt and like Ali, I thought that the Bruins didn't give up for him so I'll reserve judgement.

The proof is in the pudding. Almost a PPG and made a HUGE difference in a bruin weakness in secondary scoring.

That was the first test. The next test comes Saturday and beyond.

But he passed the first test with flying colours.

That goal last night was SO good.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Well, that aged well.

What's with these guys and their dogmatic pronouncements? Do they think that get more cred by being emphatic? Why not just say "The way things have gone for Hall lately, I wouldn't be surprised if Curtis Lazar ends up being the better acquisition." I mean, how hard is it to do that? (and yes it's Murph and I know he is not averse to self-inflicted wounds, but still)

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Hall on a 5yr/$6.5 million deal would be ideal. If they can keep Krejci & Rask, Boston could have another 2-3yr window. Smith is signed for 2 more years after this, so your top 6 would be set for the next 2yrs.

Can't see him getting more than Marchand or Pasta, he's not as good.

5/5.8 per is max I think they offer.

Fantastic point on the window, it pushes it even further with the top 6 locked in.... Need Rask to sign on as well IMO.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown

Fantastic point on the window, it pushes it even further with the top 6 locked in.... Need Rask to sign on as well IMO.
Do you do that if you're Hall though? Some team/s will easily offer 6x36 or 6x40+

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

Pastrnak makes $6.6 million, so it'd be less than Pasta. Even still, Pasta signed his deal as an RFA coming off his ELC at 21yr old. As for Marchand, I look at it from a CH% side because the cap 3-5 years ago is not the same as it is now.

Marchand CH% = 8.39%
Current Cap = $81.5 million
Cap Hit = $6,837,850

$6.8 million would be Hall's cap hit if he signed a deal with the same CH% as Marchand.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Do you do that if you're Hall though? Some team/s will easily offer 6x36 or 6x40+

I mean Hall's dreamed about playing for the Bruins and raves about the city. Would he take a little less to stay in a place that he's dreamed of playing in? A place where they could have a window of 2-3 years to win a cup? I don't usually buy much into the this player really want to play for this team and loves the city, but with Hall its tough to deny it.

Reactions: BMC

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
The only thing people have to remember is that not only do they have to sign Hall, I believe Krejci’s contracts up so right now they don’t have a second line center for next year and you have to think that’s in the back of Halls mind if he wants to stay here

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
8e72c846c55289944ddf19da78477db4.gif

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Pastrnak makes $6.6 million, so it'd be less than Pasta. Even still, Pasta signed his deal as an RFA coming off his ELC at 21yr old. As for Marchand, I look at it from a CH% side because the cap 3-5 years ago is not the same as it is now.

Marchand CH% = 8.39%
Current Cap = $81.5 million
Cap Hit = $6,837,850

$6.8 million would be Hall's cap hit if he signed a deal with the same CH% as Marchand.

I can't see the Bruins paying Hall over 6 tbh.... he's older, has had chronic injuries... he's proven he needs a very good cast around him to even compete for a title....plus you have GM's that said they wouldn't take him... I mean the Caps or Vegas could make a nice fit, just don't think that kind of money is there. he would need to win a Conn Smythe for teams to even consider 6.5 over 5 or 6 IMO.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Dunno, is he a fraud (probably) or the guy he says he is now (doubt it).

He has money, he loves it here and he's really good here. He's not great when he has to be the best guy on the team. he can play here stress free

is taking 6 for 40 selfish? nope, just like any other player he can take market value as a FA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad