HF Habs: Taxi squad

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
This is a strange look.

The habs set up a lengthy conference call when they signed Perry.

If the plan was to waive him all along, either they were very confident that he would not get claimed, or they were just unprepared.

At the very least, they should have just downplayed the signing, and forgone the conference call altogether, or at least wait until the waiver process was completed, because if he gets claimed, its just not a good look on management overall.

Reactions: frapp10

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
If the plan was to waive him all along, either they were very confident that he would not get claimed, or they were just unprepared.
One other possibility: Neither Frolik nor Perry showed the ability during the camp to supplant Byron and Lehkonen, and neither is really a C that can play there instead of Evans or Poehling. So unless they play Byron at C just to get a slow Frolik or a slower Perry into the lineup over Evans/Poehling, they are willing to let another team have either or both of these guys, and use Weal and Belzile as Taxi squad guys instead.

They would not be thinking this way if either vet had a great camp.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
One other possibility: Neither Frolik nor Perry showed the ability during the camp to supplant Byron and Lehkonen, and neither is really a C that can play there instead of Evans or Poehling. So unless they play Byron at C just to get a slow Frolik or a slower Perry into the lineup over Evans/Poehling, they are willing to let another team have either or both of these guys, and use Weal and Belzile as Taxi squad guys instead.

Gallagher said that Perry made his job easier. Hence, there appears to be a need for someone like Perry who will do the dirty work on a PP or be able to play tough, physical opposition. I don't think that part of his playing style has disappeared and he's been recognized for it since his acquisition -- not to mention how well he performed in the post season last year. This leads me to believe that the player is still capable of filling a need. I would tend to believe that his exposure to the wire was not performance related.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
Or could it be that perry has no interest playing anywhere else and his age t I formed teams not to pick him or he retires ?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Kevin, i posted a tsn article for you, and 2021 saving 2.666,667.... you said we saved 200 That was the only point. Cause even going with your theory/cap friendly numbers , there is simple math mistakes.(2.666-2.333)
Regardless, you are right in everything so please nor engage nor discuss.

It's all good now that we are not jumping on each others back. Honestly, I think Alzner was bought out for reasons of saving Molson money and they didn't forecast Toffoli signing

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Or could it be that perry has no interest playing anywhere else and his age t I formed teams not to pick him or he retires ?

Hope so! I rather not loose Perry even if he plays 4th line to taxi all season long. He provides lots of value in the playoffs cause those are different games.

We find out at noon eastern if he gets claimed right?

Reactions: tazsub3

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
There is the risk that a team claiming him could have Perry retire and then they have to absorb the cap. Also it would be disrespectful to claim him and not put him on your top 12.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
There is the risk that a team claiming him could have Perry retire and then they have to absorb the cap. Also it would be disrespectful to claim him and not put him on your top 12.

What we have to remember is Perry was not so effected in the regular season last year. If you talked about adding Perry last year (before his playoffs), you would be run off our boards. I'm assuming all GM's are aware of the value Perry brings at this stage... playoff hockey if you get there! 5/5 and regular season value? I'm not so sure about that but I'd love to have him around in case of injuries which is the real reason why we signed him. I always thought there was no spot for him as a RW when we signed him.

I'm prepared that Perry is not a Habs this afternoon. Hope he is but there is probably a 50/50 chance he stays or is gone

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
Hope so! I rather not loose Perry even if he plays 4th line to taxi all season long. He provides lots of value in the playoffs cause those are different games.

We find out at noon eastern if he gets claimed right?
Fully agree. I really want him to be on the team

Reactions: Habs Halifax

LePenseur

Nov 5, 2016
Signing players to minimum salary is a freebie unless you end up with too many of them in the AHL and block kids development.
Even if our chance of keeping Perry is 50/50 it is still 50% more than not signing him.

imagine the likely scenario of one player get hurt in camp or show up with COVID, boom Perry is there ready. We are lucky we did not need him, we keep all our best players.

it is the same as getting angry at someone for not using their car insurance because he did not get into a crash! You did all this for nothing! Yep it is the plan, insurance.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
Not the choices I would have made but:

You know what I get from that?

From a depth management perspective, putting Poehling in Laval = we still have some major work to do.

Leaving Poehling on the taxi squad so he further studies the NHL play/system instead = we only have minor work to do here before he's a valid bottom-6 option.

Notice served to Mr. "At peace with my contract year" Phil Danault. Poehling may be ready to be a 4C by next year, Evans may be ready to be a 3C by next year as well.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
You know what I get from that?

From a depth management perspective, putting Poehling in Laval = we still have some major work to do.

Leaving Poehling on the taxi squad so he further studies the NHL play/system instead = we only have minor work to do here before he's a valid bottom-6 option.

Notice served to Mr. "At peace with my contract year" Phil Danault. Poehling may be ready to be a 4C by next year, Evans may be ready to be a 3C by next year as well.

or Evans and Poehling could rotate ?

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
or Evans and Poehling could rotate ?

Evans seems to be turning heads more than Poehling. Wouldn't mind it on back to back's, though... ease up on the first three lines a little bit, run Jake and his two hounds pretty hard, then come back the next night with Poehling on that line with the hounds. (Byron/Lehks)

I've been harsh on Poehling in the past but it would be massive if he progressed to a steady bottom 6 C this season. Danault on the other hand might suffocate from the pressure and disdain towards his salary demands.

Reactions: Vachon23

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Poehling over Weal? And Julien had a say in this?

To me that's progress. No reason other than Poehling helps him win games more than Weal at this point.

I think it's more about bringing them with them, giving them the practice time and opportunities until they can go down to Laval..

Reactions: Vachon23

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Poehling over Weal? And Julien had a say in this?

To me that's progress. No reason other than Poehling helps him win games more than Weal at this point.
Julien is under a microscope this season just as he was near the end in Boston, he has no choice bit to try and adapt. MB has loaded up the roster and spent to the cap and if things go south, it will be Julien that goes under the bus before he does. This is a make or break year for Claude, just my opinion of course.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
I think it's more about bringing them with them, giving them the practice time and opportunities until they can go down to Laval..

I thought Julien would have preferred to keep his Weal sports car all tuned up and shiny, ready to go for the start of the season...?

Isn't that 2+ weeks of not having a Weal to insert in the lineup for Julien? (Laval camp)

Lots of 4-point games over 2 weeks, this year. :naughty:

Reactions: WeThreeKings

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I take the fact that Evans wasn't sent down as an indicator that he had a solid camp...because he was the only player in camp at risk of losing a roster spot to Perry/Frolik.

So IMO, that's actually a good thing.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
From M. Brunet, he finds the Poehling/Fleury combo interesting on the taxi squad because he liked their games during Sunday's scrimmage:

Julien is so dialed in to trying to win the next game, it wouldn't surprise me if he would want that taxi squad. Who cares about Poehling's development, gotta win the next game.

But, I think MB was pretty clear that he wants Poehling playing games. Hopefully same for Fleury.

We'll see at noon today whether Perry and Frolik are still with the organization. At their salaries I wouldn't be surprised to see them both claimed.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site

Unfortunately, there will be covid related issues and the compressed schedule will mean more injuries. I'd rather have Perry than Belzille. Otherwise, we're just back to year end last season. That NHL depth will be important.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad