HF Habs: Taxi squad

habamillions

Jul 9, 2009
Ottawa
So how does the taxi squad work moving forward? Do they have to clear waivers everytime you insert the player into a lineup?
I believe it is like before when you send someone up and down to the ahl. So you get a 30 day window. Anyone confirm this?

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Assuming the AHL wont be playing right away...

STARTING LINEUP
Drouin-Suzuki-Anderson
Tatar-Danault-Gallagher
Toffoli-Kotkaniemi-Armia
Lehkonen-Evans-Byron
extras: Weal, Poehling

Chiarot-Weber
Romanov-Petry
Edmundson-Mete
extra: Kulak

Price-Allen

TAXI SQUAD
1) Primeau
2) Ouellet
3) Juulsen or Fleury
4) Vejdemo
5) Belzile
6) Blandisi or Dauphin

Nice prediction on the forward lines.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

I would imagine once the Habs have accrued enough cap space that they can just call Perry and Frolik up and keep them on the team rather than the taxi squad. They are at 21 players now with a total of 23 allowed on a roster.

Reactions: JianYang

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Wow nobody wanted Perry when they could have had him for free until we came in the last second, what a surprise. We should have waived a good player like Byron instead lol.

To clear cap, sure. Frolik would be a Byron-lite at worst; brings speed, PK skills and some offensive upside, although a little less in the speed and the offensive upside but, not by tons, I would say.

However, the 3.4M off the books immediately VS the 750K for Frolik could provide the team, along with paper transactions by then, a potential 6M+ rental for a long playoff push at the trade deadline.

It would have been far from catastrophic to lose Byron on waivers, especially if he had been grabbed by a non-Canadian team. A direct rival picking him up Ould have been somewhat more annoying, with Byron coming back to face Montreal regularly with a chip on his shoulder and something to prove.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
I would imagine once the Habs have accrued enough cap space that they can just call Perry and Frolik up and keep them on the team rather than the taxi squad. They are at 21 players now with a total of 23 allowed on a roster.

No reason to do that as they are practicing with the team as it is. Better to keep accrumulating cap space to offset bonuses that will be earned by KK, Suzuki and Romanov and keep some space for the short term IR as injuries will undoubtedly befall the roster at some point. Beyond that, every Cap dollar saved is a better potential player at the deadline, if conditions are ripe for such an acquisition.

The Cap s an ongoing concern that extends into the future, not just over this season.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
To clear cap, sure. Frolik would be a Byron-lite at worst; brings speed, PK skills and some offensive upside, although a little less in the speed and the offensive upside but, not by tons, I would say.

However, the 3.4M off the books immediately VS the 750K for Frolik could provide the team, along with paper transactions by then, a potential 6M+ rental for a long playoff push at the trade deadline.

It would have been far from catastrophic to lose Byron on waivers, especially if he had been grabbed by a non-Canadian team. A direct rival picking him up Ould have been somewhat more annoying, with Byron coming back to face Montreal regularly with a chip on his shoulder and something to prove.
We already got the team while being cap compliant. We can also clear cap other ways later if we need to. Byron is significantly better than Frolik, Frolik looked cooked last year.

Sending Byron down doesnt save us 3.4 million. Sending him down and calling up Frolik would save us 300k. Paul Byron is a much better player in pretty much every facet of the game.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Are taxi squad players interchangeable at any point or do you need a reason for one to be used? Like if they just wanted to give Weber the night off and insert Fleury could they do that?

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
No reason to do that as they are practicing with the team as it is. Better to keep accrumulating cap space to offset bonuses that will be earned by KK, Suzuki and Romanov and keep some space for the short term IR as injuries will undoubtedly befall the roster at some point. Beyond that, every Cap dollar saved is a better potential player at the deadline, if conditions are ripe for such an acquisition.

The Cap s an ongoing concern that extends into the future, not just over this season.

Well I would imagine at some point it’d be better to have them on the roster than lose them to waivers as the 30 days or 10 games are cumulative.

DavePeak

What a goal Mann!
Jul 15, 2009
Montreal
Are taxi squad players interchangeable at any point or do you need a reason for one to be used? Like if they just wanted to give Weber the night off and insert Fleury could they do that?
I think the same AHL call-ups rules apply whether the players are on the taxi squad, Laval or St. John’s NL (that was so far to have a farm team!). So in the taxi squad players officially belong to the void (not to the NHL, not to the AHL, thanks Treb!)

Last edited:
Reactions: Tuggy

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
So as long as Perry and co. are moved up and down from the team to the taxi squad within 30 days they don't have to be places on waivers anymore?

The taxi squad is exactly the same as if a player is sent to the minors. If they require waivers, they need to clear waivers to go on the taxi squad.

And if they are brought into the line-up, if they stay on the roster for at least 30 days OR 10 games, they will need to go through waivers again. Less than 30 days or less than 10 games, they can be moved up and down without requiring waivers.

So if Perry is to be brought back into the line-up, it depends who he will replace. If he draws in for Lehkonen as an example, Lehkonen would need to clear waivers first before Perry can get in because they can go over the cap having them all on the roster.

Although I think cap hits are pro-rated. So the more the season goes, players' cap hits are less. So it may come some point where they can bring Perry in without having to bring someone else off.

Jul 6, 2016
So Habs lost Juulsen (for sweet nothing) because of few dollars over the cap..... OUCH !

Reactions: angusyoung

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
So Habs lost Juulsen (for sweet nothing) because of few dollars over the cap..... OUCH !
It was felt that Romanov and Fleury are clearly better, and both are younger as well.

We could have kept Juulsen by not playing Romanov and inserting Mete at 6D, but they don't want to obviously.

Says how highly they think of Romanov.

Evans is a bit different in that he can be demoted being waiver-exempt, and either Poehling, Frolik or even Weal would take over as 4C for a while.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
That is the Alzner buyout coming to bite us. If we had just sent him down we would have had another ~300k to play with.

We could have fit Juulsen under the cap anyways...

And the Alzner buyout gives us about $2M more in cap space for next year, when we need to re-sign Danault, KK, Tatar, etc...

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
That is the Alzner buyout coming to bite us. If we had just sent him down we would have had another ~300k to play with.
More like the Edmunston signing. For his salary they could have kept Juulson and added both of Vatanen and Brassard as depth.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I think the same AHL call-ups rules apply whether the players are on the taxi squad, Laval or St. John’s NL (that was so far to have a farm team!). So in the taxi squad players officially belong to the AHL and are not part of the NHL roster. But... they can’t just play AHL games either? Now I’m confused :laugh:

Players on the taxi squad are not assigned to the AHL.

Just imagine taxi squad is a separate league that doesn't play game. They can practice with the NHL team but cannot play NHL or AHL games until assigned to either.

Reactions: DavePeak

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
So where does this current taxi squad rank in the Canadian division?

Will depth/taxi squads be looked at in history as a key to the 2021 season?

How would we feel if Julien put Perry on 1RW with Suzuki instead of Anderson? (Thornton)

How about having two (2) sets of old legs in Spezza & Simmonds on a 4th line, which is the old leg equivalent of our 5th line?

Perry might play against the Canucks on the 2nd game of a back-to-back, Jan 21st.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
So where does this current taxi squad rank in the Canadian division?

Will depth/taxi squads be looked at in history as a key to the 2021 season?

How would we feel if Julien put Perry on 1RW with Suzuki instead of Anderson? (Thornton)

How about having two (2) sets of old legs in Spezza & Simmonds on a 4th line, which is the old leg equivalent of our 5th line?

Perry might play against the Canucks on the 2nd game of a back-to-back, Jan 21st.
For Perry to play, barring injury, we have to waive someone or move Evans or Romanov to the taxi squad. If Evans, we don't have a 4C and would need to use either Drouin or Byron at C. Not really a good idea.

If we move Romanov down for a game, we still have to take out a winger for Perry, and I don't see who that would be. Our F are young (31 and younger) and don't need rest on a back to back. But it's doable if we play Mete in place of Romanov.

All in all, I don't see it. I think Perry will play if a winger gets injured, assuming he is even ahead of Poehling and Frolik which maybe he is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad