HF Habs: Taxi squad

DavePeak

What a goal Mann!
Jul 15, 2009
Montreal
Players on the taxi squad are not assigned to the AHL.

Just imagine taxi squad is a separate league that doesn't play game. They can practice with the NHL team but cannot play NHL or AHL games until assigned to either.
Thanks. But what if MB would like to switch two players between the taxi squad and the AHL? No waivers required right?

Any rules on those switches? If both the Habs and the Rocket are in town, couldn’t they assign players on the squad to the AHL team for a night to have them on the roster? They would have to quarantine I suppose?

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Thanks. But what if MB would like to switch two players between the taxi squad and the AHL? No waivers required right?

That is correct as far as I know.

You still have restrictions, like having to announce the roster move before 5PM ET.

Reactions: DavePeak

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012

Looks like we will need 10 days of Kotkaniemi being on the taxi squad to gain enough cap space to have Perry on the nhl roster.
Every day off we will send KK to the taxi squad

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
agreed , feel bad for Noah, but if let's see if FLA keep him or he is a AHL player
If they demote him, we could get him back, unless someone else also claimed him on waivers but Florida won out based on worst record last year.

Last edited:

Jul 6, 2016
For Perry to play, barring injury, we have to waive someone or move Evans or Romanov to the taxi squad. If Evans, we don't have a 4C and would need to use either Drouin or Byron at C. Not really a good idea.

If we move Romanov down for a game, we still have to take out a winger for Perry, and I don't see who that would be. Our F are young (31 and younger) and don't need rest on a back to back. But it's doable if we play Mete in place of Romanov.

All in all, I don't see it. I think Perry will play if a winger gets injured, assuming he is even ahead of Poehling and Frolik which maybe he is.

Perry will play IF there is an injury, and every players in the regular line up are paid 750,000 and more. So, no problem. The injured players's salary is replaced by Perry's one.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
So, taxi squad guys can or cannot sub in for a guy who just needs a night off? Perry in for Leks or Byron? Or does it have to be an injury??
You can move a guy to taxi squad and switch, but if it is not KK, Suzuki, Evans or Romanov, they have to be waived so you risk losing them. Won't happen with Byron or Lehkonen.

Reactions: Vachon23 and BLONG7

Jul 6, 2016
Capfriendly says
Poehling
Fleury
Perry
Frolik
Lindgren
are the taxi squad...

Where is Weal ? Gonna be traded or sent down to Laval ? Why not keep this vet instead of losing time with Poehling ? Because of his 1,5M $ salary ?

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Capfriendly says
Poehling
Fleury
Perry
Frolik
Lindgren
are the taxi squad...

Only 5 so they could send one more player there on days off, to accumulate cap space.

Kotkaniemi has the highest cap hit of the four waiver-exempt players.

Smart management.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Think I’d rather Poehling be playing a lot in the AHL, and have another dman on the taxi squad but whatever

Where is Weal ? Gonna be traded or sent down to Laval ? Why not keep this vet instead of losing time with Poehling ? Because of his 1,5M $ salary ?

because the AHL season only start in February so let the kid practice with the NHL club and in February you replace Poehling/Fleury by Ouellet/Weal

Reactions: frapp10

Gyfu

May 16, 2011

Looks like we will need 10 days of Kotkaniemi being on the taxi squad to gain enough cap space to have Perry on the nhl roster.
Every day off we will send KK to the taxi squad

There is other ways though... Not saying it won't happen but i would rather bury some other contracts or trade a/some players instead

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
There is other ways though... Not saying it won't happen but i would rather bury some other contracts or trade a/some players instead
This manoever while probably legal will take $80,000 out of KK's pocket. It might be more politically correct to do this with romanov instead whose cap hit is not that much lower. Or Evans, who has a much higher AHL salary. Or, maybe split the pain equally beteween all four waiver-exempt players (KK, Romanov, Suzuki, Evans), but it would take 3 days each to get Perry on the roster.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Fleury and Belzile are on the taxi squad right now and joining Habs on their road games this week.

Interestingly enough, looking at the AHL Transactions page, Habs have called up Baddock a few times to the taxi squad recently, a paper transaction mostly to fill up the minimum of 4 players on the taxi squad. But he was always "sent down" to Laval in time for the games he played with the Rocket.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad